Author Topic: I laughed at the comments, I just couldn't help it.  (Read 3304 times)

Akarui Kibuno

I laughed at the comments, I just couldn't help it.
« on: August 09, 2010, 05:13:32 AM »
MIL (I'm not married to Plushie but using the term "MIL" is simpler :P ) is a very, very sweet person.

However, I think her brain to mouth filter is a little off, as she has decided, for quite some time, that something has to be done about me (read my weight) and it's gone from videos to books to recipes and whatnot. Yesterday, however, took the cake.

FIL was preparing lunch, and since we were going for a simple thing (Plushie was going to help FIL with his new computer, which is a whole another story) , bought a roast chicken and cut up some potatoes, that he deep fried. (Or whatever the actual word is for those potatoes :p ) The chicken was a regular size bird (for four people), and he probably cooked as many potatoes as I'd have been able to cook for myself... but I can't always judge quantities properly, and since they almost always have appetizer-entree-cheese-dessert , this was perfect.

Not for MIL, though. I first took a piece of chicken (and I always take the skin off, unlike Plushie, but he does what he wants with his food, heh) and a reasonable serving of potatoes. There was still a good amount of meat left, and FIL asked me if I wanted another piece. This was good chicken, so I thought why not and took another one, just like FIL and Plushie did.

Well apparently now it's not just me but Plushie too... and MIL was "offended" that we would "eat so much" o_O . Everything was said in a sweet/lighthearted way (even when FIL chuckled at some of her remarks, which he always does when he thinks she's being a little over the top) , and while I felt offended myself (since apparently, I should also be in charge of making sure Plushie has a spotless appartment, oh and while I'm at it I should make him diet and make him stop smoking) ... I didn't say anything.

Yes, dear E-Hellions, I didn't say anything... and had to stifle the urge to laugh instead. I know, it's not nice, but I couldn't help it. It's not that I don't care about myself or Plushie, but he's 27, I'm 27 and while we're not perfect, we've "got it covered" (when something was said about me getting fatter, I joked that I'd rather get pregnant if I had to get fatter and FIL almost took me seriously by suggesting Plushie should buy a bigger flat somewhere) and we like it the way we are now.

Have you ever had that ? Someone makes a comment that should, in theory, offend you, but you think it's so bizarre that you just burst out laughing instead ? (Thanks to Plushie, I didn't have to stifle the laugh for a long time, and he was my excuse for laughing when the cause really was MIL :) ) .
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

MaggieB

Re: I laughed at the comments, I just couldn't help it.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 05:27:28 AM »
She was offended that you liked her food so much that you took seconds once they were explicitly offered?  That is a new one...

You sound like you have a good sense of humor about your MIL, which is great.  I would have laughed too.  What else could you do?

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:36:33 AM »
She was offended that you liked her food so much that you took seconds once they were explicitly offered?  That is a new one...

You sound like you have a good sense of humor about your MIL, which is great.  I would have laughed too.  What else could you do?

Dunno, but yeah I decided early on (met her before she became MIL) that humor was the best thing to do. Funny thing is, I don't remember her being like that before she became MIL :P .
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

Amava

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 06:40:11 AM »
Not for MIL, though. I first took a piece of chicken (and I always take the skin off, unlike Plushie, but he does what he wants with his food, heh) and a reasonable serving of potatoes. There was still a good amount of meat left, and FIL asked me if I wanted another piece. This was good chicken, so I thought why not and took another one, just like FIL and Plushie did.

If this is one chicken, and everyone gets one piece, and then three people get to take seconds, then the pieces can't have been that huge, either.

Yes, I think I would have laughed, too. Eating 1/4 of a chicken is hardly over-eating.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
I don't think there's much else you could do. I think I'd have laughed too!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Miss March

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:43:32 AM »
I read a lot of little stories here on Ehell that make me shake my head and laugh! Someone once wrote in that they had worn a police/military uniform to a grocery store and a lady had chastised that they were rude for shopping in their uniform! 

Sometimes it's so much better to just have a bit of a laugh at how silly people can be when they behave in such a clueless way!
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

bellawitch

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 10:43:24 AM »
You are lucky to able to laugh.

This is such pet peeve of mine. I once rented with some people, and the wife was like the food police. I'm not a big eater, but since I have done weight training I got in the habit of eating smaller meals more often. So many times I'd be in the kitchen and I'd hear "Oh, you're eating AGAIN!" Now everyone bought their own food so this had nothing to do with her. I have never seen someone keep such an eye on what comes in and out of a fridge. I always thought it was no wonder both of her daughters had eating disorders.

Shabooty

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:38 PM »
Here's mine!

At my rehearsal dinner I was speaking with my sister and maternal grandmother.  An inlaw approached and joined the conversation and mentioned how pretty she thought my sister and I were.  Grandmother pipes up with, "Neither one of them will ever by as beautiful as their mother was."

Sis and I were rolling with that one!

jassou

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »
From my grandmother: "you have such a pretty face, shame about your butt (her words!) why don't you have some lipo, my neighbour had it done, and she got rid of it all and is so beautiful now"

I had to explain that lipo is elective surgery and not the same as getting a cute haircut. I added I was happy, healthy, successful in my job, and liked my life with my fiance, and that should be good enough for her. I am never that harsh around her, but I heard she started the fat talk to/about my younger niece (who's 12, and not overweight at all), and I thought one grandchild with a bodyimage complex would be enough. Our respective mothers take good care of that themselves ;)

CakeEater

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 05:57:51 PM »
The same doctor at our local hospital on two separate occasions told me I was old to be having my first baby (at 30) and later that I was "pretty big" and shouldn't have had any trouble giving birth. My nurse friend says this is pretty typical of this doctor's bedside manner. I found it pretty funny - I'm not really easily offended.

The other one was just inappropriate timing, rather than something insulting. Three months after a difficult labour, the midwife who helped me out saw me playing netball and actually came onto the court during the game and wanted details about how I was healing and other post-birth issues. I actually had to say, "Hold on a minute" when the ball came down my end. Then she came back on court and tried to continue the conversation. Hilarious - especially because I'm sure my poor opposing player wasn't really interested in my post-birth healing. I tried to be pretty vague.