Author Topic: Vegetable cop  (Read 5716 times)

HeeBeeJeeBee

Vegetable cop
« on: August 07, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
My co-worker tends to have a salad almost every day for lunch.  I do not.  FWIW, it's not that I dislike salad or vegetables in general, but if I don't have some sort of fiber and protein at lunchtime, I am starving after work, and eat everything in sight until dinner.

Co-worker makes remarks about my lunch constantly, saying things like, "Oh lord forbid you eat anything green!" or "you wouldn't like this, it's actually good for you" or the more direct "are there any vegetables you do eat?"

I actually eat vegetables daily.  I use them in my cooking, I drink V8, etc.  I always get my 5 a day!

I usually just say something flippant to her, like, "Oh, policing my food again, are you?" or "don't worry about my food, you're not my mother" all in a joking, light tone.

Any other suggestions?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Vegetable cop
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »
I say just ignore her. She doesn't need to police your diet (as you already know). So, just let her comments fall into thin air.

June24

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 07:29:05 PM »
Don't respond. Whenever she says something about your food, just say "mmmmm" or some other non-committal sound (no words). It'll make her uncomfortable to be left hanging, and she'll stop eventually.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 08:30:13 PM »
'Please stop making remarks about my food.'

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 08:37:51 PM »
"Well, yesterday I had a salad of baby spinach, baby carrots and baby corn. Last night I dreamt their mothers came after me" ;D

Seriously, people commenting on your food are beyond obnoxious. Ignore.

Goog

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 08:40:51 PM »
"You must have a REALLY boring life if you feel the need to comment on the color of my lunch every day."

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 08:48:13 PM »
Have her immigrate to Canada and get a job with ING so she can headbutt the brick wall that is my ex's refusal to eat any plant matter other than potatoes, white bread, and white rice. She'll either unlearn that annoying habit or end up institutionalized.

immadz

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 09:15:19 PM »
" Maybe, if you weren't always eating salad , you wouldn't feel the need to comment on my yummy meal. " >:D

Seriously though, ignore her. If she annoys you a lot you may always say " Your constant critique of my meals is bordering on creepy. Please stop passing these comments."

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 09:15:52 PM »
Co-worker makes remarks about my lunch constantly, saying things like, "Oh lord forbid you eat anything green!" or "you wouldn't like this, it's actually good for you"

I know some e-hellions are tired of this phrase, but I think this is a perfect place for "what an interesting assumption."

Or, "You sure seem interested in my food."

I've used the latter in various MYOB situations: "You sure are interested in my..." or "You sure get worked up over..." depending on the subject matter/situation. It's a statement, not a question, and not a response to their interrogation or a defense of whatever it is they are critiquing, and therefore it generally leaves them nothing to come back at you with.

FWIW, I'm the same as you. I get my 5-10 fruits/veg per day, but it's rarely in the form of a salad. I find salads a nuisance to make and transport to work. If I don't eat some kind of starchy item and a protein at lunch, I'm passing out from hunger by 3 PM. Chances are, this person goes home and downs a quart of ice cream in private later.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »

If she keeps doing this, then ignoring her won't work.

I'd start with one of the stock phrases  like "My what an interesting assumption" or "Wow, you really are obsessed with my food, aren't you?"

If that doesn't work go more direct with "You know, having you insult my eating habits every day really takes away my appetite."

And if that doesn't work, wait until she starts in, give the icy stare of death, pick up your lunch and leave the room.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 09:59:55 PM »
"There's nothing wrong with my lunch, and your comments about it are really getting tedious."
"Please stop making comments about my lunch."
"I told you to stop talking about my lunch."
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 10:50:29 PM »
"So you've said" in a flat, expressionless voice.

magician5

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 11:46:06 PM »
"Please enjoy your lunch and let me enjoy mine."
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 12:15:50 AM »

If she keeps doing this, then ignoring her won't work.

I'd start with one of the stock phrases  like "My what an interesting assumption" or "Wow, you really are obsessed with my food, aren't you?"

If that doesn't work go more direct with "You know, having you insult my eating habits every day really takes away my appetite."

And if that doesn't work, wait until she starts in, give the icy stare of death, pick up your lunch and leave the room.

OP isn't ignoring her now , she being witty back.

OP I think your co-worker may now think this is your and her daily routine she makes and inappropriate comment you zing her back.
Not playing anymore might work but I try honesty " I'm really getting sick of this everyday. let's stop the food police comedy routine"  if she continues after that I'd upgrade to " It's not really your concern. I'm not amused please stop."

Amava

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 01:03:19 AM »
Every time a topic like this comes up, I hear my great-aunt Anna's voice in my head, saying:
"Mind you own plate!"