Author Topic: Vegetable cop  (Read 5382 times)

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
Re: Vegetable cop
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 04:48:41 AM »
"And what I'm eating is your business because...?"

"I don't call you Rabbit Lady for the salads, do I? No? Then quit worrying about my food choices."

I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Kess

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 12:27:55 PM »
She may think this is just fun banter at the moment, and not realise you're not seeing it that way.  I'd give her one round of a slight variation on Merry Mrs Martin's suggestion, "<small sigh> You know, I'm getting kinda bored of this back-and-forth each day about my lunch.  Let's stop the food police comedy routine."  And then if she persists, follow it with something firmer, like one of the other PP's suggestionsa.

Mocha

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 01:07:35 PM »
Sometimes the best way to get someone to shut up is to agree with them, right or wrong.  There's not much she can say when you reply, "You're right.  I should eat more vegetables."

And if she notices that you still aren't eating your veggies at lunch, "You're right.  I may never reform."

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 01:31:11 PM »
It's a wonder she eats any vegetables at all when she keeps putting her foot in her mouth like that.

veryfluffy

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 01:43:26 PM »
The suggestions I have made sound snarky, and that may not be Ehell-approved, but sometimes just keeping up a joking tone is necessary if you can't actually avoid someone, eg a co-worker.

"Nee-ner-nee-ner-nee-ner!(siren noise) Here comes the food police again!"

"Have you got shares in a salad distributor or something? How is my lunch such a gripping subject for you?"

"I think I'd better come around to your house this evening, to make sure you are getting something more substantial for your dinner. I worry that all you ever seem to eat is salad."

"It's amazing how your halo is tinted the same shade of green as your lettuce."

Deadpan: "Some people suffer terrible flatulence if they eat too many veggies. It can be just awful being stuck in a room with them all afternoon." (This needs to be said vaguely and generally, so that she can't be sure you are referring to yourself or to her.)

secretrebel

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 05:17:56 AM »
This is one where the "okay" response might work. Dead pan tone, flat affect voice. Every time she comments on your food just reply "okay". It works with some people.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 09:08:06 AM »
"I find I get too hungry in the afternoon if I just have a salad for lunch. THen I end up eating chocolate or something.  It will interest you to know that I do get my five a day, I just don't do it at work."

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 09:16:28 AM »
A friend had a button that said "I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables"- though he did; he just got tired of militant vegetarians and vegans (he was in college).

You could always try that.

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 09:24:59 AM »
"You must have a REALLY boring life if you feel the need to comment on the color of my lunch every day."

I would want to say this, but I think it's kind of rude.

Perhaps a nicer version would be, "We need to come up with more interesting topics to talk about so you can stop focusing on my lunch!"

whatsanenigma

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 09:31:12 AM »
"I find I get too hungry in the afternoon if I just have a salad for lunch. THen I end up eating chocolate or something.  It will interest you to know that I do get my five a day, I just don't do it at work."

Although this, while polite, would reinforce her notion that she has a right to know anything at all about the OP's diet.

Maybe it's the case that the OP hasn't eaten anything green since 1979 but that's not the business of a co-worker.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 09:37:22 AM »
Oh I hate this sort of commentary.  I had someone once tell me that 'oh your diet is rubbish blah, blah, blah...'. 

Yeah, she could determine what I regularly ate based on the single solitary example she had.

Amava

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 12:58:03 PM »

Although this, while polite, would reinforce her notion that she has a right to know anything at all about the OP's diet.

Maybe it's the case that the OP hasn't eaten anything green since 1979 but that's not the business of a co-worker.
Oh, absolutely! I definitely wouldn't give that co-worker any explanation or information about my eating habits.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 01:02:07 PM »
The last time a co-worker of mine did this, I responded with "Thanks Mom" and a smile. Possibly snarky, but I like to hope I defused it a little with the smile and friendly tone. She seemed to realize she was being nosy and segued into telling me how she didn't really have any room to talk because of XYZ unhealthy thing she'd eaten for breakfast.  ;D

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 01:04:02 PM »
I was thinking that I might offer to call her every time i did consume a vegetable. Promise you'll text her or call her every time you drink your v8 or have a veggie

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 01:06:53 PM »

Why is what i eat of such concern to you?

...and then actually sit there and wait for an answer; i bet there isn't one.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem