Author Topic: Vegetable cop  (Read 5735 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Vegetable cop
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 08:14:46 PM »

Why is what i eat of such concern to you?

...and then actually sit there and wait for an answer; i bet there isn't one.

"I'm concerned so that you don't get sick from your bad diet and I have to pick up your slack!"  Yes, the cow-orker would be rude to say that -- but she's already being rude to criticize the OP's food choices.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 11:19:18 PM »

I usually just say something flippant to her, like, "Oh, policing my food again, are you?" or "don't worry about my food, you're not my mother" all in a joking, light tone.

Any other suggestions?

Stop being to flippant, joking, and light.

Start being cold, firm, and maybe even a little bit testy. If you eat anywhere that you can leave, do so, in a slightly huffy way.

She's not getting any negative reinforcement, so of course she's keeping it up.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 11:20:53 PM »
Oh I hate this sort of commentary.  I had someone once tell me that 'oh your diet is rubbish blah, blah, blah...'. 

Yeah, she could determine what I regularly ate based on the single solitary example she had.

I bring my lunch from home, and it always has veggies, rice, small amount of meat.

People comment about how healthfully I eat.

Yeah, and after work I pick up potato chips, and when I get home I eat pudding, candy, cake, etc. I skip breakfast, skip dinner, etc.

bbgirl

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 02:25:16 AM »
There's nothing rude about being direct about a situation.  Dancing around it tends to let others think it's ok to continue in that vein.  Her commenting on your food choices is a passive aggressive way of passing judgement on your eating habits.  I'd suggest using a variation on the following:

Co-Worker's annoying comment..."..."
You " You know, CW, you seem to always notice what I eat.  It shouldn't concern you but just to ease your mind,  I do get my five servings in a day so you can stop worrying yourself that I don't eat healthy.  I'd appreciate no further comments on my lunches."

And go back to doing whatever you were doing. 

MerryCat

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 03:16:44 AM »
Would it be rude to respond with something along the lines of "And this would be any of your business because......?"

Perhaps "how kind of you to take an interest," would be politer.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 08:12:30 AM »
There's nothing rude about being direct about a situation.  Dancing around it tends to let others think it's ok to continue in that vein.  Her commenting on your food choices is a passive aggressive way of passing judgement on your eating habits.  I'd suggest using a variation on the following:

Co-Worker's annoying comment..."..."
You " You know, CW, you seem to always notice what I eat.  It shouldn't concern you. but just to ease your mind,  I do get my five servings in a day so you can stop worrying yourself that I don't eat healthy.   I'd appreciate no further comments on my lunches."

And go back to doing whatever you were doing. 

I personally would rather say it like this, with leaving the crossed out part out. If she gets any reinforcement of this kind she will think that yes, she has a right to know what other people are eating over the course of a day, or really, ever.

But overall I agree with you.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 08:36:35 AM »
Co-worker makes remarks about my lunch constantly, saying things like, "Oh lord forbid you eat anything green!" or "you wouldn't like this, it's actually good for you"

I know some e-hellions are tired of this phrase, but I think this is a perfect place for "what an interesting assumption."
Or, "You sure seem interested in my food."

I've used the latter in various MYOB situations: "You sure are interested in my..." or "You sure get worked up over..." depending on the subject matter/situation. It's a statement, not a question, and not a response to their interrogation or a defense of whatever it is they are critiquing, and therefore it generally leaves them nothing to come back at you with.

FWIW, I'm the same as you. I get my 5-10 fruits/veg per day, but it's rarely in the form of a salad. I find salads a nuisance to make and transport to work. If I don't eat some kind of starchy item and a protein at lunch, I'm passing out from hunger by 3 PM. Chances are, this person goes home and downs a quart of ice cream in private later.

Indeed.
Stewart/Colbert '16