Author Topic: Geocaching  (Read 909 times)

Joeschmo

Geocaching
« on: August 07, 2010, 11:20:36 PM »
Anyone know of any good Iphone apps for this?  I think I'll be asking for a GPS for Christmas but until then all I have is my phone and about $20 to put into this new hobby.

Any advice or cool stories anyone has to share?

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
Re: Geocaching
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 11:25:17 PM »
I never thought about an app for it! I just go to geocaching.com. Now to go look...

Joeschmo

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »
I found one with good reviews called 'geocaching' for only $9.99 but still wanted to get second opinions.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:33:45 PM »
I don't geocache with an iPhone, but geocaching.com has a review of an iPhone app. I hope this helps. :)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 12:33:03 AM »
There are two apps from geocaching.com . I recommend getting the free one (Geocaching Intro) to start out with. It gives you like 5 choices of geocaches near you.

I upgraded to the paid app with more ways to look up geocaches. It recently updated, and I like te format.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 07:44:29 AM »
I found one with good reviews called 'geocaching' for only $9.99 but still wanted to get second opinions.

This was our Father's Day present to DH, and we love it. (have nothing to compare it to, but we have had a lot of fun with it)  He's going out today, as a matter of fact! :)

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 10:17:45 AM »
I don't do geocaching, but I do something called letterboxing. It is very similar but doesn't require GPS, so if you don't want to wait until Christmas, go now!  (Many people do both in fact.)

go to www.atlasquest.com or www.letterboxing.org and play!

Bascially, letterboxing requires you to have a rubber stamp, ink pad or ink pens and a notebook or paper of some kind.  You find clues and go on a scavenger hunt.  When you find the box, you stamp into their logbook (notebook) and sign your trail name and date and a message if you wish.  Then, you take their stamp and stamp the image into your logbook with the name of the letterbox.  Return their stamp to their box or bag and hide well. Then find another!  

You can also find "hitchhikers"-take them with you and then plant them at your next find. See how far it has traveled!

atlasquest divides the clues into categories-how long is the hike?  is it indoors? do you have to pay to get in?  is it a mental puzzle or self explanatory?  

There are also mystery boxes-very vague clues or sometimes just an image. Sometimes a box will lead to another.  DH and I found one that was about Gumby. Gumby then led us to Pokey!  

It's fun. We just went yesterday when we were up in Portsmouth, NH.  Did some short hike ones that were stroller friendly. It's great because you start seeing some familiar names who all must be locals too!

(And then you get into stamp carving, which is a whole 'nother hobby!)

For anyone else, our trail name is TwoBrownDogs and Alex. :)

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 08:02:31 AM »
A few years ago while hiking in a local forest preserve, my sister and I found a Geocache. We had no idea what it was..just stumbled across a box with some random little things in it, and a card that explained that it was a Geocache.

We left something in it, though for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Just a pretty rock, I think.