Author Topic: At the ice show.  (Read 2153 times)

Carnation

• Super Hero!
At the ice show.
« on: August 08, 2010, 12:45:57 PM »
This happened years ago, but I thought it would be a good topic.  Who knows, it might happen again.

Years ago, I took my kids to an amusement park. It was very, very hot, so we ducked into the ice show to get out of the heat.  Shortly after the show started, the kids fell asleep in their chairs.  I probably would have done likewise, but I had to monitor the kids.

Soon, the people behind me (several adults with small, school aged children), started speaking in loud voices about um..s-e-x.  I would say x- r-ated.  Right in front of their kids.

I don't know if they were idiots, or idiots who wanted to annoy me and the multitude of people around me.

I'm guessing they were the latter.

I ignored them, as my kids were asleep.  But I wanted to clobber them.

What would you have done?

Chinchillazilla

• SQUEAK.
Re: At the ice show.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:50:55 PM »
I probably would have given them a really baffled look. Because I would have been baffled.
No running with scythes.

sparklestar

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 02:57:47 PM »
I'm not sure this would bother me that much and if it did, I'd have moved rather than approaching the talkers. Kids don't usually pick up on such topics unless someone is making a big production out of "shhh!! Kids are present". If someone was describing a particularly gory film or their child's bowel movements I wouldn't want to listen either, but they are perfectly entitled to (even if it makes them seem terribly uncultured oiks).

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 07:00:07 PM »
Hmm....I think talking loud enough for others to hear you during a show is rude regardless of what the topic is.

That being said, I don't think talking about sex in front of their own children is inherently rude.  Talking loud enough for others to hear their adult subject is rude, kwim?  I have to be honest, if I was in your shoes I wouldn't really mind my (theoretical) children or their children hearing about something like Scrabble because its not a taboo subject in my family.  My family has always been very open about Scrabble and about any questions that I or any of the younger kids have always had. 

That being said, I understand that there are other families that are not comfortable with these subjects being talked about and would respect that.  I think in this case, the people were rude although since your children were asleep there wasn't much you could do unless you woke them up and moved them.  I wouldn't necessarily call them idiots either...they just do things differently than you do.   

ipsedixit

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 07:44:03 PM »
I don't think talking about s-e-x in front of their kids makes them idiots per se, but there is a time and a place for everything.  An ice show isn't one of them.  I agree with PP that kids probably aren't going to pick up on that sort of thing unless someone makes a to-do about it.  If it's bothering you, I think the best thing to do would be to move.

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »
I'm 33 and I don't want to hear people behind me talking about s*e*x during an ice show.  In fact I don't think I'd want to hear the people behind me talking during an ice show, period.  
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:34:35 PM by Veronica »

Florida

itsmeforever

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 10:33:10 PM »
I would've ask her to stop. Very rude of her. The amusement park is crawling with kids, s-e-x is not appropiate conversation for it.

When I was a girl scout, my 2 leaders took us to the beach. It was very crowded and right next to us, was a lady talking about how her and her DH were going to have s-e-x so she would go into labor. And then proceeded to describe how the baby would be born. In very graphic detail. We were 8 years old!!! The leaders asked her to stop and she ignored them and kept right on going. Finally, so many people complained to the life guard, he got them to move. But not without a HUGE scene and her husband flipping off my leaders.  ::) She actually yelled out "I can talk about any d**m thing I wanna talk about. F'ing kids!" Lovely.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:16:36 AM »

That being said, I don't think talking about sex in front of their own children is inherently rude.

This was not about reproduction, it was definitely X -r-ated.

Miss Understood

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 12:23:21 AM »
It is clearly rude to be talking loudly about anything, let alone anything inappropriate, during a show, regardless of the age range of the audience.  I think that's an etiquette standard, so I'm not sure what the question is.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 12:33:55 AM »
I agree. The topic was irrelevant - the rudeness was the talking to begin with. Like pp have said, this is pretty much an etiquette given.

MaggieB

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 01:55:51 AM »
It is clearly rude to be talking loudly about anything, let alone anything inappropriate, during a show, regardless of the age range of the audience.  I think that's an etiquette standard, so I'm not sure what the question is.

I'm not sure what an "ice show" is exactly...but I have been to similar shows at amusment parks where there really isn't anything to listen to...it's more just an air conditioned place to rest for a bit and look at some cool fountain/lights/etc.  So talking in general may not necessarily be an issue.

Also, the OP does contain an etiquette question:  What would you do [if someone was talking about x-rated activities within earshot of you in public?]

Personally, I would have tuned it out since the kids were asleep and I'm pretty good at tuning people out, but I think it would have been OK to quietly let them know that their conversation carried pretty far in the venue.

ETA an answer to the OP's question!   :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:21:17 AM by MaggieB »