Author Topic: Voices  (Read 3677 times)

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
Voices
« on: August 08, 2010, 04:13:37 PM »
Does everyone* hate the sound of their own voice, or is that just me?  I was just watching some videos I took on my cell phone.  I didn't realize it recorded audio as well.  I sound like a low-rent Jodie Foster, and that's being charitable.  

*non-professionals, obvy; I'd think this would not apply to pro voice users

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:18:10 PM by aventurine »

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: Voices
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 04:15:01 PM »
My voice is flat and nasal. I really don't like it. It sounds harsh and unfriendly.
Words mean things.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »
My voice is flat and nasal. I really don't like it. It sounds harsh and unfriendly.

Harsh and unfriendly.  Mine does, too.  I always sound like I'm coppin' attitude.   :-\

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

JoanOfArc

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 04:19:17 PM »
I have a low, gravely voice for a female- people always recognize my voice on the phone.  I hate it, but I don't think their is anything I could do about it.  So I try not to think about it. 
Chicken-keeper, welder, artist, student and lover of all things literary.

Aggiesque

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 04:23:45 PM »
I think it may universal... I don't like mine either! LOL
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 04:27:58 PM »
I don't.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 04:33:31 PM »
Re:  the phone

I've been told all my life that I sound like my sister, and here lately, my niece.  See, I like their voices!  Theirs are low and mellifluous, where IMO, mine's just country and kind of harsh.  I don't think I sound like either of them at all. 

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 04:34:37 PM »
I'm not fond of mine, but I've learned to control it.  I also have a difficult time with accents and cadence as I pick them up very easily.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »
When I was doing heavy phone work I deliberately cultivated a more 'musical' voice then the one I naturally possess, to the point where guys would tell me I had a 'sexy' voice. After a few years off the phones it's back to 'normal'- a little flat, unless I'm particularly animated.

I think voice-over work would have been fun.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 04:37:33 PM »
I hate my voice. It's very deep for a woman, and I don't care how many people try to convince me it's "sexy" or "sultry," I think I sound like a 45-year-old chainsmoking man from Mississippi.*

*No offense to any 45-year-old chainsmoking men from Mississippi who might be reading.

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 04:49:27 PM »
I hate my voice. Or rather, what I hear in recordings. I don't mind my voice as *I* hear it, which is very different from what I hear on recorded media.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 04:59:10 PM »
I hate my voice. Or rather, what I hear in recordings. I don't mind my voice as *I* hear it, which is very different from what I hear on recorded media.

Same here. I think my voice is OK most of the time. But on recordings, I sound like a barbie doll. :-X
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »
I remember coming home in tears one day in the sixth grade, because the music teacher sorted us all out by alto and soprano.  I was the only female alto, along with all the guys.  I even looked like a guy, so this was yet another blow  :-\.

I still have a deep voice, sort of like Bette Davis without any s*e*x appeal whatsoever, and if she spoke with a mushed together Ohio and Southern accent.

gui

MizB

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »

Same here. I think my voice is OK most of the time. But on recordings, I sound like a barbie doll. :-X

Me too! When my niece was very small she got this Barbie doll stuff for her birthday that had voice bites. My family always has me record the outgoing message on the answering machine and I sounded JUST like those sound bites.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 06:16:07 PM »
Eeeyeah I hate the sound of my own voice.  I think I am too nasaly with a midwest southern mashup.  BF says I sound cute, I think I sound annoying. =/