Author Topic: Voices  (Read 3372 times)

Scotty Dog

Re: Voices
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »
Yes. To myself I think my voice is fine, but when I hear it played back I sound like a 12 year old.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 06:29:50 PM »
Does everyone* hate the sound of their own voice, or is that just me?  I was just watching some videos I took on my cell phone.  I didn't realize it recorded audio as well.  I sound like a low-rent Jodie Foster, and that's being charitable.  

*non-professionals, obvy; I'd think this would not apply to pro voice user

I can't stand the sound of my own voice taped.  I'm nasally and shrill.  I've been told I have a good singing voice, but I've heard tapes of me singing and it's awful.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 06:39:37 PM »
For a voice freak, I pay no attention to the sound of my own voice.   I try not to mispronouce anything and I have mostly gotten rid of regionalisms, but I have no idea whether I sound pleasing or not.

When I attended broadcasting school they tried to make my voice sexy; they wanted to turn me into the next Allison Steele.  However, I didn't want to sound sexy.  So I don't think about it.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 08:16:05 PM »
I have a vicious Georgia accent if I'm not careful. I sound like something out of "O Brother Where Art Thou". Seriously. It's that bad. I also think that my voice is too low and not feminine.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »
My voice sounds higher in recordings than it does to my ears.  I don't like it.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 08:26:30 PM »
I have a vicious Georgia accent if I'm not careful. I sound like something out of "O Brother Where Art Thou". Seriously. It's that bad. I also think that my voice is too low and not feminine.

Bad as I think my voice is, I don't even have a discernable Southern accent.   ::)   All my life, I've had locals ask me where I was from.  "Right here, why?"  It's kind of country, but not recognizably Southern.  

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 08:32:18 PM »
I speak too loud. And too fast. Even with SLP I still have to consciously remind myself to speak softer and slower.

That, and I have a very.odd.accent. It is either love it or hate it.
I have pet mice!

Pinky830

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 08:34:28 PM »
I don't.

Why, Cathy, I seem to recall hearing that your voice was absolutely divine, and we all know you were a radio DJ.  :)

I think my voice sounds fine when I'm talking, but when I hear it recorded I cringe. It's low and sort of thick and muddy sounding, if that makes any sense. I do have a Southern accent, but it's not very heavy.

Samantha

• Super Hero!
  • Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 08:48:16 PM »
I've always been a bit insecure about my voice... mainly due to an ex-boyfriend from when I was in middle/high school. I called and left a message on his answering machine, but instead of identifying myself, I said "Hey, it's me. Give me a call when you get in. I was thinking about going to see *movie" this weekend and wanted to know if you can go." Instead of calling me back... he called his cousin. His cousin Joshua.

As I've gotten older though, I've become more secure about my voice. I've been told by a few guys over the years that I have a voice that makes them think adult thoughts, and had another person (a former talent agent, actually) suggest that I look into doing voiceovers, but I have no idea how to get into that (and I've lost contact with the person that suggested it).

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »
I don't.

Why, Cathy, I seem to recall hearing that your voice was absolutely divine, and we all know you were a radio DJ.  :)

LOL - I don't know who told you my voice is "divine"! I haven't made my living as a DJ in 15 years.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 09:00:21 PM »
My voice sounds higher in recordings than it does to my ears.  I don't like it.

This is my problem.  To me, I think I have a deeper sounding voice but it sounds so high-pitched on recordings.  I once had a friend tell me that I sounded sexy, like a phone sex operator  ::), and I've had other people tell me something similar when I'm congested. 

I'm choosing to believe that all recording equipment is wonky and I have a sexy throaty voice.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 09:03:05 PM »
I'm choosing to believe that all recording equipment is wonky and I have a sexy throaty voice.  :)

I heartily endorse this point of view.  I believe I'll adopt it as well.   ;D

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 09:07:32 PM »
Sometimes I think I sound like a man.  I also get the "Well you don't sound like you're from the south" routine. Fine, but annoying.

And I was once asked if I'd ever done any telephone work.   :o

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 09:12:48 PM »
I hate my voice and always have. Recordings are very different from how I sound to myself - on recordings I sound affected, higher pitched and slightly nasal. I also hate my accent. Years of drama, speech and voice lessons have done nothing to help, so I do my best to ignore it and avoid recordings. I cringe when I have to do something to my voice mail.
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 09:46:50 PM »
I'm with you aventurine, I don't like the sound of my voice either.

Ed.