Author Topic: Voices  (Read 4406 times)

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Re: Voices
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 10:09:14 PM »
I don't like the sound of my voice, either. To my own ears, it's just ok, but recorded, I sound like I'm about 10. People have told me that, too. :( It also just sounds...weird. Just yuck. Even when people tell me I have a pretty voice and a pretty singing voice, it's hard to believe them.
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 12:00:48 AM »
When I am at work, I deliberately concentrate on lowering my voice an octave or twelve when I am on the phone.  I have got several offers of dates etc, and a customer-friend says I sound really sexy on the phone.  I don't answer it much, so it is not a constant thing.

However, at home, or when I am not concentrating/tired, I don't bother and apparently I sound like a two-year-old who got to Mummy's phone first!  MG has played back my messages sometimes when I leave one, and they are right.  I sound like a small child!  No wonder telemarketers always ask me if my parents are home!

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

Sahaira

• Angry Citizen
  • Keep On Rollin'
    • Sahaira's Myspace
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 12:15:25 AM »
I really don't like how I sound on the phone. I could easily be (and often am) mistaken for a dude. I CAN make it sound sexy if I try, but I really don't feel the need to sound like a p0rn actress while I'm at work. I try to go up an octive when I'm speaking in front of a group, but it's difficult to hold it that way for too long. Also, I speak in monotone. I try not to, but if I try to add inflection I just sound like I smoked a bunch of crack. That comes from a teacher making fun of my voice when I was younger :(

I do realize that it could be a lot worse though. I would personally rather have a low voice than a high-pitched squeaky one. It just wouldn't suit me at all :P
Don't fear god;
Don't worry about death;
What is good is easy to get;
What is difficult is easy to endure.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 12:18:59 AM »
Nails on a chalkboard.

:P

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 06:38:39 AM »
I hate my voice. It sounds fine to my ears but when I listen to it back it just sounds wrong. I had to listen to tapes of my calls when I worked in a call centre. I hated that. My voice just sounded odd and very deep. I wondered how anybody could understand me on the phone. I am told though I sound like my sister and my mom once thought I was her when I called on the phone once. She asked me how her husband was. And I was like I don't know. She then figured out she was talking to me.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 06:52:01 AM »
I don't know that I hate the sound of my voice, but it's fairly unrecognizable when it is taped. I had a freind who, way back when VCRs were still cool, had a VCR capable of dubbing. We would get together and dub TV shows- making up the dialog as we went.  When he would play it back - and of course it didn't sound that off to me- people who were there wondered what had happened to the tape whenever I spoke. Well, nothing. People- who had known me for years- who watched and listened after the fact asked straight forward whose voice mine was. They refused to believe it was mine until we demonstrated.  I think I sound either way more nasally or way less nasally on those than I do in real life.

I will say I've had to work to keep my voice from automatically going high-pitched at times because I can hear myself doing that and it drives me crazy.

zoidberg

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2010, 06:56:06 AM »
Good lord, yes. I sound like a duck in extreme distress. Nasal, honking, awful.

Though I am a good singer and don't mind recordings of my singing voice.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 06:59:15 AM »
I think the reason you sound different on tape then to yourself is because when we speak and hear ourselves, the sound goes through our own head. From the tape you hear your voice as it sounds through air. Your head is not made from air and deforms sound differently. Think of how sound sounds different when played underwater.
The reason we hate the sound of our own voice (something that is almost universal) is just because we aren't used to it. I would dare to say that every one of you have lovely voices. You can get used to it though, if you listen to recordings of yourself often enough. For the work that I do (in computer game business) I often have to record placeholder voice over - which is played again and again every time I test the game. Plus, I made some songs for my bard in an online rpg, and I record the songs too so that others can hear how the song should sound like. Hearing a recording of you sing is even harder then hearing yourself talk, because you'll hear every mistake you made too...and the songs I do are in English, which is not my native language, so there is accent.

((example here; http://www2.hku.nl/~hanneke0/nonweb/Niknak/Rhiss_and_Pink/  more examples here; http://www2.hku.nl/~hanneke0/nonweb/Niknak/. My pronunciation is something off, so text is included))
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:13:02 AM by girlysprite »

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2010, 07:15:43 AM »
I think the reason you sound different on tape then to yourself is because when we speak and hear ourselves, the sound goes through our own head. From the tape you hear your voice as it sounds through air. Your head is not made from air and deforms sound differently. Think of how sound sounds different when played underwater.

Probably true; I just know in my case none of my friends could ID my voice on the tape.  And everyone else's sounded just like them. 

girlysprite

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2010, 07:53:45 AM »
In your case, you might have started talk differently when being taped, even if you weren't conscious of it. People have interesting reactions when they are being taped. Most of them don't even want to be recorded and when they are, they become nervous and their voice changes completely. I've seen/heard it happen before.

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2010, 07:58:53 AM »
I have a voice like a little kid.  When I answer the phone, people think I'm my twelve-year-old.  :(

I also cannot sing.  I can hit the notes (verified with audio recordings) and don't sound too bad to myself, but there's some timbre in my voice that just makes people unhappy.  I've learned to only sing when I'm alone.

I've found, though that I sound great with just a teensy bit of tweaking in post production.  In school I did an interactive DVD with voice queues. NO ONE would believe that I used my own voice until I tweaked a file for them...if only I could do that IRL.

ETA - I feel so much better I'm not the only one who's self-conscious about her own voice.

girlysprite

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2010, 08:34:20 AM »

ETA - I feel so much better I'm not the only one who's self-conscious about her own voice.

Almost everyone is. It's just some sort of cognitive dissonance ('do I sound like THAT?'). When people suddenly find out that some quality of them is not how they perceived it themselves, they will distance themselves from it.
The same happens when you mirror someone's mirror image- so that they can see how other people see them. The difference is smaller, but enough to freak some people out. (this trick can be done with crossed mirrors).

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2010, 10:20:32 AM »
I sound like Daria.   ;D  Not much inflection in my voice.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2010, 10:22:52 AM »
The same happens when you mirror someone's mirror image- so that they can see how other people see them. The difference is smaller, but enough to freak some people out. (this trick can be done with crossed mirrors).

Yes.  One of my front teeth is *ever so slightly* longer than the other, and the first time I saw it in a picture, it sent chills up my spine.  Literally.  Cognitive dissonance indeed!

there's some timbre in my voice that just makes people unhappy

This made me LOL!  You may be self-conscious about your voice, but you have a might fine way with words.  

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2010, 10:28:12 AM »
Add me to the list of people that do not like their voice on tape.