Author Topic: Voices  (Read 4174 times)

LeeLee88

Re: Voices
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2010, 11:05:06 AM »
I'm also not one who really likes to hear her voice on any sort of media  :P.  I used to have a really nerdy speaking voice, but it got a bit lower as I got older.  I will never like to hear myself on a recording though.  I also hate to hear my own singing on recordings, and the worst part is that I'm a paid singer.  I can't see for myself how people want to pay me to perform, but hey, if that's what they want, I'll give it to them.  I personally think my singing voice has way too much vibrato and I sound far older than I really am, but like I said, if that's what they want....

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2010, 11:21:23 AM »
I have a very young sounding voice, to the point that I get asked if my mommy or daddy are home when I answer the phone. *sigh*

I don't like my voice because of it. I think people take me less seriously over the phone due to the way I sound.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2010, 12:57:20 PM »
I have to consciously work at lowering and softening my voice.  Otherwise, it sounds flat, nasal and high pitched, making me sound like a bratty, 13 year old, valley girl. 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2010, 02:45:59 PM »

ETA - I feel so much better I'm not the only one who's self-conscious about her own voice.

Almost everyone is. It's just some sort of cognitive dissonance ('do I sound like THAT?'). When people suddenly find out that some quality of them is not how they perceived it themselves, they will distance themselves from it.
The same happens when you mirror someone's mirror image- so that they can see how other people see them. The difference is smaller, but enough to freak some people out. (this trick can be done with crossed mirrors).

I did a plaster cast of my face in college, and I was surprised that my nose is sooo crooked!!! I knew it was bad (the cartilage is pretty messed up) but I didn't know what it looked like to other people. I still like it, though.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2010, 02:47:08 PM »
One of my eyes is larger than the other. I don't notice it much at all when looking in the mirror, but if you flip that mirror image - it's so shockingly obvious, it startles me.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2010, 02:58:48 PM »
No one can tell the difference between my voice and my mom's over the phone so we always use it to our advantage.  We both sound like prepubescent little girls and consequently we've both been asked if we can hand the phone over to an "adult."

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2010, 03:14:47 PM »
I guess I am alone. I love the sound of my own voice.  :P

I have taken voice & diction classes as well as public speaking just for the fun of it. My former boss said I have the most beautiful phone voice she has ever heard, and my co-workers tease me that on the phone I sound like the next thing I am going to say is I need your credit card number if you want to stay on the line for 10 more minutes. Yes, I take that as a compliment.  Im really very happy with how I sound.

:) As a matter of fact, in one of the classes i read a poem about phone sex ... the teacher sent us out for a cigarette break afterward.  ;D

That said I have spoken to RainHa over the Xbox; she can tell you if I am full of it.
 :)

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:16:18 PM by hobish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2010, 03:27:02 PM »

I have taken voice & diction classes as well as public speaking just for the fun of it. My former boss said I have the most beautiful phone voice she has ever heard, and my co-workers tease me that on the phone I sound like the next thing I am going to say is I need your credit card number if you want to stay on the line for 10 more minutes. Yes, I take that as a compliment.  Im really very happy with how I sound.

:) As a matter of fact, in one of the classes i read a poem about phone sex ... the teacher sent us out for a cigarette break afterward.  ;D

That said I have spoken to RainHa over the Xbox; she can tell you if I am full of it.
 :)

You're not alone.  I like my voice as well and have gotten tons of compliments on my speaking voice.  But I'm a trained singer and so am probably used to hearing my voice recorded more often than most.  It's funny I actually think I sound better on a lot of recordings than I do when I'm hearing myself in real time.

--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

Jocelyn

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2010, 05:14:37 PM »
I like my voice, too. I've done a fair amount of recording books for students with reading problems, so my taped voice sounds more familiar.
I used to staff a volunteer help desk in an online group, and answer questions vocally rather than typing. More than once, I had someone ask if it were my 'real' voice. They thought I was using a computer enhanced voice to sound more sexy.  ;D No, just trying not to sound nasal and squeaky, but thanks!

Eisa

• Thread Killer Extraordinaire
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 07:31:44 PM »
I guess with me hating my voice, it doesn't help that my dad would constantly ask "what's dying?" when I would sing around the house.  >:(

And that people would make fun of my "squeaky" voice and tell me how no one would ever take me seriously because my voice is higher-pitched than normal, and that I should learn how to speak normally...in a CHORUS I was in.  >:(
"And neither the angels in heaven above, nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"
Idaho

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »

Nope. I said upthread that I like my voice.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2010, 07:43:52 PM »
But I'm a trained singer and so am probably used to hearing my voice recorded more often than most. 

Hearing one's own voice recorded probably is a factor. I've heard my own voice so many times that I can no longer tell the difference between the voice I hear and the voice everyone else hears.

Paper Roses

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2010, 07:55:59 PM »
. . . .Your head is not made from air . . .

Wanna bet?
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

redsfan

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »
Call me crazy, I like mine.  I didn't realize it wasn't anything but talking until (years ago) my boss called me up to do the recordings for our store.  Apparently I answered the phone when he called, and he really liked the way I sounded.  I guess I figured then that it wasn't so bad. 

I'm also the daughter of a music teacher and have taken years of professional training.  I've been critiqued and have heard myself recorded since I can rememmber (even if it was just church performances).  I got over the 'I don't like the way I sound' thing ages ago. 

Chinchillazilla

• SQUEAK.
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2010, 02:37:30 AM »
I sound SO MUCH DUMBER in recordings than I do in my head. I wish my head-voice was my outside-voice, because what I hear is pretty nice, but what other people hear is not (to me).
No running with scythes.