Author Topic: Voices  (Read 4143 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: Voices
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2010, 02:40:12 AM »
My voice is flat and nasal. I really don't like it. It sounds harsh and unfriendly.

Harsh and unfriendly.  Mine does, too.  I always sound like I'm coppin' attitude.   :-\

Ugh.  Me too.  When I talk, I don't hear it, but recordings of my voice make me cringe.  It's so much more high-pitched than it sounds to me, too.  When I talk on the phone or when I waited tables, I made a conscious effort to talk in a lower voice because my normal voice seems so annoying.  And when I say, "Wisconsin" without thinking about it, it comes out, "wis-KAAN-sin."  Yech.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Ereine

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2010, 03:40:40 AM »
I don't really even like my voice as I hear it in my head, I sometimes notice it when I'm talking and want to stop because it sounds so bad that I think that it bothers other people. Taped it's even worse, it sounds abnormal to me, like it doesn't belong among other voices but was recorded separately and edited in badly.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2010, 03:54:10 AM »
I dont mind my voice at all when I'm speaking - I think it's kind of nice, warm and feminine, although this may just be my opinion.

However, on the phone I sound like a young child, very girly. That's irritating.

My DH however has an amazing, deep voice. He also has a very nice accent. He was once approached by a stranger to do voiceovers. I wish he would!
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2010, 06:54:22 AM »

I hate my voice. It sounds too deep and very Australian.
Stewart/Colbert '16

LeeLee88

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2010, 08:24:45 AM »
One of my eyes is larger than the other. I don't notice it much at all when looking in the mirror, but if you flip that mirror image - it's so shockingly obvious, it startles me.

Me too.  I try not to think about it, haha!

sweetgirl

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2010, 08:28:52 AM »
Bowled over Maiden...by too Australian do u mean Kath and Kim and our current prime minister?

I actually dont like my voice when I hear it in my head...but I like my voice when I hear it on video. Its alot girlier than what I hear to my own ears.

Alex the Seal

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »
When I was doing heavy phone work I deliberately cultivated a more 'musical' voice then the one I naturally possess, to the point where guys would tell me I had a 'sexy' voice. After a few years off the phones it's back to 'normal'- a little flat, unless I'm particularly animated.

Haha, I have a "customer service voice" that is distinctly posher and more enunciated than my 'real' one. It is sort of of like my singing voice, but spoken. I hate my real voice, it's sort of soft and weak and nasal and low and dry all at once and should not be let out in public  :P

Quality of recording does help, I can actually stand myself on my computer but tapes were a nightmare. Voice mail is pure evil, I refuse to record a message  >:D

Eisa - my dear Dad also called me a 'dying cat' when I sang. Just sing  :-*  His comments are likely no reflection on you but a particular type of 'Dad' humour (and if yours wasn't trying to be humourous, that's horrible but still no reflection on you).

little bird

• we defy augury
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2010, 09:45:21 AM »
I really don't mind my voice, it just doesn't seem like it should be mine.  Until I started hearing myself recorded on a regular basis I never realized that my voice was so feminine... it's not a bad thing, just not what I hear in my head. 
there's a special providence in the fall of a sparrow

I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

MizB

« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »
I know upthread I agree with someone (more so that I have a tendency to sound like tour guide barbie than anything) that I prefer to hear my voice in my head. That is mainly true. I've been a singer for years and I am always disappointed with the recordings of my singing, because I thought I sounded awesome and I sound less awesome to myself in the recording.

I also sound a lot like my sister. I love her don't get me wrong, but I don't really care for her voice. If I hear myself sounding like her I will stop talking/singing for a minute or two.

But there are days when I do like the sound of my own recorded voice and I agree that it just takes getting used to. There is a sweetness to my voice and I *believe* that my voice has a natural kindness to it. I can't describe it, but that is how it makes me feel.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
I guess I am alone. I love the sound of my own voice.  :P

Nope. I said upthread that I like my voice.

How did i miss that? It was even referenced downthread.

...maybe my head is made of air  :P ;D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

SoCalVal

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »
I'm fine w/my voice.  I've often been told I have a lovely voice.  However, I think I'd trade that w/having a decent figure (have never had a normal weight day in my life).

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2010, 09:07:08 PM »
I know upthread I agree with someone (more so that I have a tendency to sound like tour guide barbie than anything) that I prefer to hear my voice in my head. That is mainly true. I've been a singer for years and I am always disappointed with the recordings of my singing, because I thought I sounded awesome and I sound less awesome to myself in the recording.

I also sound a lot like my sister. I love her don't get me wrong, but I don't really care for her voice. If I hear myself sounding like her I will stop talking/singing for a minute or two.

But there are days when I do like the sound of my own recorded voice and I agree that it just takes getting used to. There is a sweetness to my voice and I *believe* that my voice has a natural kindness to it. I can't describe it, but that is how it makes me feel.
I've been told my voice sounds like sugar cubes dipped in honey  ::) On the up side, I have got out of almost all trouble I have ever been in, because no-one believed I could do anything bad.  >:D

I have a very different voice for Customer Service.  Friends comment on it when they ring whilst I am at work - "oh, you sound very professional there"  or worse, "have you ever worked a 1900 phone service?"

I don't exactly HATE my voice; I just know I sound like a little kid and it get frustrating.

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

Rockie

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2010, 11:27:16 PM »
I feel like I have this squeaky dorky voice, and I have a tendency to speak really fast when excited or nervous. I cringe hearing a recording of myself. Somehow, I'm fine with my voice in my head.

People have told me I sound cute and that I have a slight Brooklyn/Chinese accent. I'm terrible at imitating accents, though. XD;

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2010, 06:02:55 AM »
Bowled over Maiden...by too Australian do u mean Kath and Kim and our current prime minister?
I actually dont like my voice when I hear it in my head...but I like my voice when I hear it on video. Its alot girlier than what I hear to my own ears.

More like this.
But if I'm speaking to you face to face it's alright. I've even been told I sound like a Kiwi!.  :-\
Stewart/Colbert '16

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2010, 06:06:25 AM »
I have a vicious Georgia accent if I'm not careful. I sound like something out of "O Brother Where Art Thou". Seriously. It's that bad. I also think that my voice is too low and not feminine.

Bad as I think my voice is, I don't even have a discernable Southern accent.   ::)   All my life, I've had locals ask me where I was from.  "Right here, why?"  It's kind of country, but not recognizably Southern.  

You ought to hear me. Southerners have to ask me to repeat myself. And I cheerfully run all my words together. You know that Foxworthy skit about "D'jeet?" "Naw'djou?"

That's me.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....