Author Topic: Auction Etiquette - bidding on an item, when you have no idea what it is?  (Read 4158 times)

sbtier

• Super Hero!
I don't think the guy was rude on bidding on stuff he didn't recognize, but I think he was rude to question the people he outbid on what the stuff was.  Naughty sbtier thinks the outbid guys should have made stuff, sure it's a octane hextant compressor!

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
I don't think he was rude.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
Annoying but not rude.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
If he was shouting his ignorance as a way to make the losing bidders feel even worse, then he was rude.  If just generally clueless, then no.  Since I don't know which he was, I will give him the benefit of a doubt, and say not rude.

But he has violated the number one rule of collectors: collect for love and not for an investment.  If the market for the collectible falls apart, but you bought it because you loved it, you can never lose.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Aggiesque

If he was bidding *because* he knew it annoyed/bothered the others, it's rude.

If he was bidding because he was interested in the item- weather he knew what it was or not- it's annoying, but not rude, imo.
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Carnation

• Super Hero!
Good grief, he sounds like a jerk.

With money.

Poppea

I think tone is important here.  Was he trying to annoy the collectors or did he buy something he thought looked cool and then wanted to know what it was because he liked it so much?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!

The item goes to the highest bidder, not the person most interested in the item. That's pretty much the whole point of an auction. The guy didn't do anything wrong.

With money.

Why?
If he was shouting his ignorance as a way to make the losing bidders feel even worse, then he was rude.  If just generally clueless, then no.  Since I don't know which he was, I will give him the benefit of a doubt, and say not rude.

But he has violated the number one rule of collectors: collect for love and not for an investment.  If the market for the collectible falls apart, but you bought it because you loved it, you can never lose.

Who made this rule, and why is it rude not to follow it?
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
And who says he doesn't love it?  Maybe he loved the looks of the items he bought -- sounds like he thought they were cool before he bought them, so why would that change once he knows what they are?

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Also, he might have actually known and appreciated the doodads.  It might have been a distraction tactic.  

I have a friend who is a known document expert and collector.  The mere fact that he bids on something raises its perceived value to the knowledgeable bidders.  Even when it is something just for himself.  I have bid in his place while acting slightly ditzy.  

The big jump is another tactic.  People are often willing to pay X amount if the bids inch up to it, but not if the bids just made a big jump to X.  

DottyG

• Super Hero!

The item goes to the highest bidder, not the person most interested in the item. That's pretty much the whole point of an auction. The guy didn't do anything wrong.

With money.

Why?

Who made this rule, and why is it rude not to follow it?

I agree 100% with everything Hobish just said.

Poppea

But he has violated the number one rule of collectors: collect for love and not for an investment.  If the market for the collectible falls apart, but you bought it because you loved it, you can never lose.

Where does it say the guy bought the stuff as an investment? The OP stated that he bought the tools because he thought they looked interesting. How does that translate into buying for an investment?

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
I am going to go against the grain here, and say that the old guy was rude. Why? Because his broadcasting his lack of knowledge of the piece is a form of bragging, and drawing attention to himself and his buying prowess. It is crass. He is not rude for being rich, and spending money, but he is rude for persitently engaging the disppointed bidders in the repeated foolish conversation.

POD to this, actually.

Of course the mere act of buying something and spending more money on it than someone else would isn't rude, and buying something someone wanted "more" isn't rude, either. Had that person asked a question once, I would have thought "clueless" but that's not always irritating or rude. But what he did really reads like rubbing it in, and that's rude *and* very annoying.
Agreed with the above. It really seems as though he were rubbing it in and attention seeking. I find it both annoying and boorishly rude.
No matter where you go, there you are...

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!

But he has violated the number one rule of collectors: collect for love and not for an investment.  If the market for the collectible falls apart, but you bought it because you loved it, you can never lose.

Where does it say the guy bought the stuff as an investment? The OP stated that he bought the tools because he thought they looked interesting. How does that translate into buying for an investment?

I am sorry!  I was trying to be cute and humorous.  It is no where near rude to buy something as an investment.  I was attempting to imply that if he didn't know what it was, how could he love it (not like my teapot collection, which I stare at with loving eyes every day).  But, really, for all we know, he loves his whatzis as much as I love my new teapot (and really it is adorable).
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

JoanOfArc

He wasn't rude.  I'm an artist and I might go to an auction and buy interesting things to use in my art because I liked the look of the item, not because of their value or use. He might have been annoying to those around him, but annoying isn't rude and neither is buying an item for another purpose than restoring it or collecting it.
Chicken-keeper, welder, artist, student and lover of all things literary.