General Etiquette > Family and Children

I laughed at the comments, I just couldn't help it.

(1/2) > >>

Akarui Kibuno:
MIL (I'm not married to Plushie but using the term "MIL" is simpler :P ) is a very, very sweet person.

However, I think her brain to mouth filter is a little off, as she has decided, for quite some time, that something has to be done about me (read my weight) and it's gone from videos to books to recipes and whatnot. Yesterday, however, took the cake.

FIL was preparing lunch, and since we were going for a simple thing (Plushie was going to help FIL with his new computer, which is a whole another story) , bought a roast chicken and cut up some potatoes, that he deep fried. (Or whatever the actual word is for those potatoes :p ) The chicken was a regular size bird (for four people), and he probably cooked as many potatoes as I'd have been able to cook for myself... but I can't always judge quantities properly, and since they almost always have appetizer-entree-cheese-dessert , this was perfect.

Not for MIL, though. I first took a piece of chicken (and I always take the skin off, unlike Plushie, but he does what he wants with his food, heh) and a reasonable serving of potatoes. There was still a good amount of meat left, and FIL asked me if I wanted another piece. This was good chicken, so I thought why not and took another one, just like FIL and Plushie did.

Well apparently now it's not just me but Plushie too... and MIL was "offended" that we would "eat so much" o_O . Everything was said in a sweet/lighthearted way (even when FIL chuckled at some of her remarks, which he always does when he thinks she's being a little over the top) , and while I felt offended myself (since apparently, I should also be in charge of making sure Plushie has a spotless appartment, oh and while I'm at it I should make him diet and make him stop smoking) ... I didn't say anything.

Yes, dear E-Hellions, I didn't say anything... and had to stifle the urge to laugh instead. I know, it's not nice, but I couldn't help it. It's not that I don't care about myself or Plushie, but he's 27, I'm 27 and while we're not perfect, we've "got it covered" (when something was said about me getting fatter, I joked that I'd rather get pregnant if I had to get fatter and FIL almost took me seriously by suggesting Plushie should buy a bigger flat somewhere) and we like it the way we are now.

Have you ever had that ? Someone makes a comment that should, in theory, offend you, but you think it's so bizarre that you just burst out laughing instead ? (Thanks to Plushie, I didn't have to stifle the laugh for a long time, and he was my excuse for laughing when the cause really was MIL :) ) .

MaggieB:
She was offended that you liked her food so much that you took seconds once they were explicitly offered?  That is a new one...

You sound like you have a good sense of humor about your MIL, which is great.  I would have laughed too.  What else could you do?

Akarui Kibuno:

--- Quote from: MaggieB on August 09, 2010, 05:27:28 AM ---She was offended that you liked her food so much that you took seconds once they were explicitly offered?  That is a new one...

You sound like you have a good sense of humor about your MIL, which is great.  I would have laughed too.  What else could you do?

--- End quote ---

Dunno, but yeah I decided early on (met her before she became MIL) that humor was the best thing to do. Funny thing is, I don't remember her being like that before she became MIL :P .

Amava:

--- Quote from: Akarui Kibuno on August 09, 2010, 05:13:32 AM ---Not for MIL, though. I first took a piece of chicken (and I always take the skin off, unlike Plushie, but he does what he wants with his food, heh) and a reasonable serving of potatoes. There was still a good amount of meat left, and FIL asked me if I wanted another piece. This was good chicken, so I thought why not and took another one, just like FIL and Plushie did.

--- End quote ---

If this is one chicken, and everyone gets one piece, and then three people get to take seconds, then the pieces can't have been that huge, either.

Yes, I think I would have laughed, too. Eating 1/4 of a chicken is hardly over-eating.

Winterlight:
I don't think there's much else you could do. I think I'd have laughed too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version