Author Topic: Help me not lose it with these people  (Read 3399 times)

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
Help me not lose it with these people
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:11:28 AM »
B/G:

I have been on CPAP therapy for well over a year now and other than a huge problem that presented itself when first started, my doctor and I both agree I have benefitted from this therapy. However, I've had nothing but problems with the company that is/was supplying my CPAP supplies - mask parts, hose, filters, etc. I'm sure anyone here who is currently using CPAP or is familiar with it knows what goes on with the continuing cost of being on this therapy.

I say was because for the last 6-8 months, I've had to fight with the DME (durable medical equipment) compnay just to get the right items. They send me the wrong thing, I call and tell them it's wrong, they apologize, then I have to call back and remind them that they haven't sent the right items. I've sent back the items that were wrong. Lather, rinse, repeat.

End B/G

With all that has gone on the last few months with my mother and other personal things, I let it fall to the wayside a little - completely my fault for not being more on the up and up with this. Once more they sent me the wrong items and I was left to order the right items after the "forgot" again online from another DME site and pay for it out of pocket.For me, that was the last straw.

I called to let them know that I was firing them as my DME last Thursday. Ever since, they've been calling and leaving messages begging me not to go, please tell them what they've done wrong. The problem is, I TOLD them exactly what went wrong. I told them how they pretty much failed me as a company and why I was going elsewhere. I honestly felt I was being treated like a file number rather than a patient/customer.

I got yet another call, this time from what sounds like their district manager. I honestly am done dealing with these people. I sent back the wrong supplies again and want nothing more to do with them. What else can I say other than "You failed me as a company, I'm taking my business elsewhere" that won't sound snippish and snarky? I've had to set my cell phone to vibrate so I'm not distracted by their constant calling and it's getting annoying.
http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

MyFamily

Re: Help me not lose it with these people
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »
Can you call after hours and leave a message?  If you can, then do that, so you can read a pre-written script telling them why you are firing them as your provider.  I've done that before and it really helped me make sure that all my points were made and I didn't have to deal with anyone interrupting me or telling me that I was wrong.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

cattlekid

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 11:19:52 AM »
I've been in these exact shoes.  Our initial DME provider for our CPAP machines/supplies had horrific billing policies.  Bills sent extremely late, incorrect bills, just a nightmare all around.  So I fired them and went with a local DME provider who is MUCH easier to deal with.

We started getting automated phone calls from the initial DME provider constantly - at least once per day, asking if we needed supplies, etc.  So I went to their national website and found the email address for their patient satisfaction department. I wrote a polite but strongly worded email stating that they needed to remove me from all of their databases entirely and that if I did not stop receiving the phone calls within two weeks (giving them time for processing), I would be contacting our state's Attorney General and filing a formal complaint. 

That did the trick.  I received an apologetic email reply within one business day and the calls stopped. 

If they aren't getting the message and you have to keep your cell on vibrate, then I would start looking into lodging a formal complaint.  You shouldn't have to have your privacy continually comprimised.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:21:09 AM »
I would either go with an email or a letter at this point.  Get what you've (repeatedly) said to them in writing, in their hands (or inboxes).

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »
I tried putting in a complaint at one point with the corporate office, but I was ignored there. I haven't tried calling after hours yet, that's a good idea.

I'm tempted to have DH call and tell them to stop harassing me, but I think they'd start asking him 20 questions and he doesn't want to deal with them any more than I do at this point.

I think I may have to just send in a letter and CC my insurance company - who told me the same day I fired the DME that they've had complaints from other people who use this company about them too and was only too happy to recommend another company.
http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

mich3554

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 12:01:53 PM »
I would send a letter snail mail, to the CEO of the company and explain your reasons very clearly and concisely why you're firing them.  I'd also send the letter certified, receipt requested.  That will make someone pay attention.

IME, complaining over the phone only goes so far.  If you go to the head of the pecking order, you'll likely get some action.

I'd also contact your credit card company, if there is some sort of automatic billing that you've got going on for supplies. 

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 03:20:52 PM »
  I think it's best to answer once so you can actually get out the request "do not call me again".  Just "stop calling me , take me off your list" you can add if you wish "You have made far too many mistakes . there is nothing you can do now that was cause me to change my mind. Stop calling" 

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 03:31:57 PM »
I would send a letter snail mail, to the CEO of the company and explain your reasons very clearly and concisely why you're firing them.  I'd also send the letter certified, receipt requested.  That will make someone pay attention.

IME, complaining over the phone only goes so far.  If you go to the head of the pecking order, you'll likely get some action.

I'd also contact your credit card company, if there is some sort of automatic billing that you've got going on for supplies. 

ITA.  I think this is your best bet.  Explain their massive fail and tell them to remove you from their call list immediately.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 04:29:20 PM »
I would answer the call and say "Look. I have told you people what you did wrong and why I'm leaving. I'm frankly a bit shocked that you couldn't see what lousy service I was being given WITHOUT me having to list it out for you. There is nothing that you can do or say that is going to change my mind. I am tired of the harrassing phone calls and messages and I want them to stop immediately. If I have one more call from your company I am filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau."
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

MovieLover

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 05:57:21 PM »
You have made your decision and I don't think you need to explain your thinking or reasoning to the people who failed you anymore.  You said you've told them once and they didn't listen, their not listening doesn't make it your responsibility to return calls and explain yourself yet AGAIN.

Ignore their calls and block their number.  This is a case of Bed. Made. Lie. for that company.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 11:36:48 PM »
I would send a letter snail mail, to the CEO of the company and explain your reasons very clearly and concisely why you're firing them.  I'd also send the letter certified, receipt requested.  That will make someone pay attention.

IME, complaining over the phone only goes so far.  If you go to the head of the pecking order, you'll likely get some action.

And openly cc: your insurance company as well.

And if you can block their calls, do so. You have no further obligation to "help" them by telling them all their faults.

also, in that letter, I wouldn't dwell on all the details of how lousy they are. Simply say in a couple of sentences: "you guys messed up my orders in multiple, multiple ways, on many occasions, and I am through with you."

Then focus on the details of the idea that they won't leave you alone, and tell how many times in a day or week they are calling you, and that you can't get people to listen when you say, "Don't call me anymore."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:38:23 PM by TootsNYC »

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 10:25:20 AM »
The only part of your OP that I disagree with is where you say that you dropped the ball and did not follow up.  No, THEY dropped the ball, and THEY did not follow up.

If you were to snail mail in some way (but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't waste your time), I would point out that they are wasting their time and energy.  They need to have better quality control and deal with the problems as they happen, not make numerous phone calls pursuing customers who they have driven away.  The manager who is spending all that time trying to sweet talk you back should instead be on the backs of staff who are consistently messing up orders.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 04:50:03 PM »
The only part of your OP that I disagree with is where you say that you dropped the ball and did not follow up.  No, THEY dropped the ball, and THEY did not follow up.

If you were to snail mail in some way (but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't waste your time), I would point out that they are wasting their time and energy.  They need to have better quality control and deal with the problems as they happen, not make numerous phone calls pursuing customers who they have driven away.  The manager who is spending all that time trying to sweet talk you back should instead be on the backs of staff who are consistently messing up orders.

I think the only reason why I felt I'd dropped the ball was because I had more important things to deal with at the time than to remind them to do what they'd promised to do and failed.

I got yet another call today, and luckily it was on my break. I took the call out into the stairwell and laid it out on the line. These people are clueless. Even after I told them exactly why I was not using them anymore, the person I was speaking with asked me how he could help me get supplies. I had to bite my tounge to keep from snapping something like "Did you not hear a word I said at all?"

Time for some letter writing. I've already told my health insurance company I've returned the items that were incorrect and I have the tracking number for it should there be any issues.

jane7166

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 05:31:47 PM »
While I also have a CPAP (and I think I finally got off their automated call list,) your experience sounds just like when I fired my lawn service company.  Call after call wanting to know how they could keep us as a customer.  Wasn't going to happen.  I told them we had hired someone else, end of story.  If you have found another company for your supplies, tell them you're all set up with someone else and are much happier. 

Do you have a "do not call" kind of law wherever you are?  You could send them a letter terminating your business arrangement and saying any more harassing phone calls will result in complaints and their being fined. 

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 09:23:34 PM »
Nothing wrong with being blunt in this situation. Tell your insurance company, and if there is a licensing agency in your state for DME companies, complain to them too. Oh, and let your prescribing physician know about the crummy service too.