Author Topic: What are you wearing -- to beat the heat?  (Read 1557 times)

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Re: What are you wearing -- to beat the heat?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »
Generally I just avoid the heat.  It makes me very sick very quickly.  In general I will wear a T shirt and a very thin denim skirt and flip flops and a hat.  When I have to travel any distance I wear a nice tank top and take a thin over shirt for when I go inside.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »
Easy! I'm not.

Same here.  My husband told me I set a new record for speed undressing yesterday.  I no more than shut the door before I had all my clothes off.  It was easily 100 degrees in the shade the last couple of days.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Emmy

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 09:30:14 PM »
I have a large collection of company shirts that are surprisingly cute for being women's company shirts. At least twice a week, I wear one of those with black or tan capris. Other days, a cute short skirt and matching t-shirt.

Oh yeah, and sandals. I don't do closed toe much anymore unless I have to.

I wish my company would start making company shirts for women, especially because several women work there.  Instead they get everybody men's shirts and they are huge on me.  So uncute and unfeminine. 

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »
I'll complain about the cold, Dottyg, and I'll do it right now.  It is 63 degrees outside and raining...in Seattle...in August.  It should be at -least- 80F and it's not.  We've barely had any summer weather at all, and I'm just devastated.   :'(

I think we got all of the summer weather here in KY. It's been unusually hot and humid here. It's going to be so hot tomorrow that they just sent out a mass e-mail telling staff and students that we could dress in casual attire.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 10:37:24 AM »
I'll complain about the cold, Dottyg, and I'll do it right now.  It is 63 degrees outside and raining...in Seattle...in August.  It should be at -least- 80F and it's not.  We've barely had any summer weather at all, and I'm just devastated.   :'(

I think we got all of the summer weather here in KY. It's been unusually hot and humid here. It's going to be so hot tomorrow that they just sent out a mass e-mail telling staff and students that we could dress in casual attire.

Yikes!  I know that down here in Bowling Green the heat index has been well over 100 for at least a week straight.  It was already in the low 80s when I hit the road for the office at quarter til 8 this morning.

So, I'm wearing a skirt that hits mid-calf again and a cap-sleeved dress shirt.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 10:41:10 AM »

Yikes!  I know that down here in Bowling Green the heat index has been well over 100 for at least a week straight.  It was already in the low 80s when I hit the road for the office at quarter til 8 this morning.

Yep, it's like that here in Louisville, too. Incredibly hot and humid with a heat index into 100+. I think the heat index the other day was some ridiculous number like 115. Every time I watch the weather it shows no relief in sight..just solid 90s for weeks to come. It was 85 degrees this morning at 7:00 AM, and the air quality is supposed to be pretty bad today.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 10:43:21 AM »

Yep, it's like that here in Louisville, too. Incredibly hot and humid with a heat index into 100+. I think the heat index the other day was some ridiculous number like 115. Every time I watch the weather it shows no relief in sight..just solid 90s for weeks to come. It was 85 degrees this morning at 7:00 AM, and the air quality is supposed to be pretty bad today.

And here I was kind of hoping I'd get some relief when I drive up there for the afternoon... Nice to know it's just miserable everywhere.  :P  At least we can all swelter together, right?

little bird

• we defy augury
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 10:43:40 AM »
I'm with SouthernSugar -- trying to dress appropriately both for 112 degrees in the shade (it's not humid but walking across the parking lot feels more like trudging across the Sahara) and our 68 degree office is a bit of a challenge, especially since we're having a lot of visitors at work and that means... nicer clothes!  I've been pulling out all of my little linen sheath dresses and pairing them with 3/4-sleeve cardigans and dressy scarves.  

Around the house I've been rocking tiny shorts and very thin tank tops.  
there's a special providence in the fall of a sparrow

I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 10:47:37 AM »
Shorts and Ts for daily life, with my ever present fleece jacket nearby for ventures indoors.

Elizabeth

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 05:35:32 PM »
I had a meeting that I had to dress up for today (boo!) so I am currently wearing a black pin-striped pencil skirt, a grey cap-sleeved cotton blouse, and strappy sandals with a modest heel.  No nylons.  I'll add a straw hat when I walk home. 

I've taken to wearing knee-length beige pleated shorts with a light, short sleeved blouse whenever I can get away with it. They look pretty dorky, but I've reached the age when comfort is more important - at least, for work attire.

My hat doesn't fit if I wear my hair up, but it would definitely help if I could pull it back into a bun!

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 05:37:28 PM »
I'm lucky, I only have to venture outside to take the dog out as I'm not working right now. And that I can do in my pjs and I don't really care who sees me. My pjs are cooler than real clothes so that's what I'm wearing. Thin cotton knit capri pj pants (with Superman logos on them!) and a thin tshirt. No bra. Nylon bras are painful in this weather, so I only wear one if I have to.

Denim capris with a thin tshirt if I have to go out in public. And flipflops.

I think next summer I'm going to try and find some cotton skirts to wear because I think I might be more comfortable (all my skirts now are polyester and dressy or I'd be wearing them instead of pants).

ETA: I just checked the weather report; it's 99F here with a 120F heat index. Yeah, staying inside.

I remember leaving North Carolina three summers ago and driving to Louisiana - we left NC that morning with a heat index of around 120F and it got *cooler* as we drove south!

I figure we might as well move to Louisiana if I have to put up with the summer temperatures anyway!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 05:39:50 PM by Information_queen »

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »
It's not quite as hot here in the Midwest as I'm used to (I'm from the DC region), low 90s, which isn't really *too* bad.  It's definitely hot enough to sap your energy, though!  I went out today to take my little girl to try to ride her new bike for the first time, and all of us were wilting within a few minutes.

However.  Even though it's hot, I've had to add something to my attire that makes me hotter.  What?  Suspenders.  Yes, actual "I look like an 80-year-old man suspenders," because I'm 39 weeks pregnant, due pretty much any time, and I've gotten to the point where my stomach is just so round that my pants fall down every 5 seconds when I walk around.  They do make me hot, and they make my bra strap try to slide off my shoulder, but honestly it's better than hitching my pants up constantly!  So that's my hot weather gear.  :)  In general, though, it's maternity t-shirts and jean shorts for me!  Too hot for footwear, I go barefoot almost all the time, wearing open sandals when I absolutely have to put on shoes.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 08:15:55 PM »
Shorts and T-shirts for the moment.  Saturday I will have to wear a Pyramid Collection dress for dinner at Malaga.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »
Shorts and T-shirts for the moment.  Saturday I will have to wear a Pyramid Collection dress for dinner at Malaga.

Picture of dress, please? :D

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 11:43:41 PM »
No longer on the site.  It's a sleeveless one called Blue Ocean.