Author Topic: What are you wearing -- to beat the heat?  (Read 1401 times)

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
What are you wearing -- to beat the heat?
« on: August 09, 2010, 12:59:36 PM »
I assume I am not the only American suffering in high heat and humidity. My wardrobe is being stretched to accomodate the need to stay cool. Today it's a sleeveless, chambray shift dress and sandals. Bare legs, of course.

And you?
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
Re: What are you wearing -- to beat the heat?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 01:04:49 PM »
I have to walk a delicate balance between cool enough not to melt when I go outside and warm enough not to turn into a popsicle in my office.  So, I'm wearing a purple tank and a black skirt that comes to mid-calf, plus my handy-dandy "granny sweater" to keep myself from freezing at my desk.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 01:06:23 PM »
I'm in Atlanta so you can imagine that it's pretty hot & humid.  However, I'm currently in dress slacks & a short sleeve blouse with a fleece jacket over it :)  They keep our office building WAY too cold!  I thaw out on the way home & then I'll have to change into my tank top & shorts :)  And if I go outside, I'll put on my sunhat

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Aggiesque

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 01:22:17 PM »
flowy long cotton skirt and knit t-shirt esq top. 110 here in S. Texas! And the Ocean is like, there, so you know it's humid :)

Of course, I was mowing et cetera in pants and a flannel shirt yesterday... told myself it was my workout for the day!
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 01:55:50 PM »
where i live, in israel, it's hot all summer long. verrry hot. the past week was in the 40s-C which is in the 100s-F. so very very hot. and strong sun. and luckily- dress code is more casual so we wear sandals (no socks/stockings), light airy skirts/slacks, and 100% cotton tops/tanks. OTOH - the office i work in is freeezing (the a/c has an on/off button only, no thermostat, and luckily roomate and i both like it very cold so that's how we beat the heat).

I walk all/part of the way to work, so i get there already hot and sweaty. so i drink cold water, and make my first cup of coffee as a cold coffee to cool me down. after that i stick to freezing water and hot coffee.

last night, i sprinkled my bed (sheet/pillows) with freezing cold water - it was very nice! it lasted only a few minutes but really cooled me down

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 02:05:04 PM »
I wear skirts or dresses most days in the summer.  I try to stick to light fabrics and I never, never wear hose.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 02:12:24 PM »
Gulf Coast Texas.  Hot & Humid!  I usually wear a pretty tank top trimmed in lace with a thin sweater or button up blouse over it (worn unbuttoned).  But that's my office wear most of the wear.  My office isn't too cold, but it is a bit chilly on the upper floors (they're closer to the main a/c machines for the building).

Evenings & weekends I'm usually in t-shirts made of moisture wicking material with built in UV protection and shorts made of quick drying UV blocking material designed for desert wear.  I also try to wear moisture wicking undies designed for athletes.  It's too muggy for regular cotton!

If I know I'll be outside for a while or might go inside someplace chilly, I usually bring an overshirt with long sleeves that I can roll up.  My overshirts are also designed for desert wear so they block UV, dry quickly, and have lots of vents built in. 

Mostly, I just try to stay indoors.  I acutally get paler in August from avoiding being outside!
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:56 PM »
I have to walk a delicate balance between cool enough not to melt when I go outside and warm enough not to turn into a popsicle in my office.  So, I'm wearing a purple tank and a black skirt that comes to mid-calf, plus my handy-dandy "granny sweater" to keep myself from freezing at my desk.

That's how I have to dress, too. They keep my office entirely too cold, so my summer work wardrobe is made up of lightweight dresses paired with thick sweaters.

Today I'm wearing a heather grey knee-length sleeveless dress that has a pleated A-line skirt with a wide black leather belt, a long sleeved purple sweater, and zebra print peep toe heels.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 03:55:50 PM »
Nothing.

Ok, that's not true.  I have to wear clothes to keep from getting into trouble.  But, I have to say that it's so dang hard to put clothes on in the mornings when I know how hot I'm going to be as soon as I step outside. :(

I said it last year, and I'll say it again now......THE VERY FIRST PERSON IN MY REAL WORLD WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT THE COLD THIS WINTER IS GOING TO GET A BLACK EYE, DARN IT.  (Or, at least, I'm going to think about giving them one, even if I really can't.  I don't want to hear ANYONE complaining when this stupid heat wave is finally over.  NO ONE.)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 04:03:07 PM »
Dotty, I'm so with you. I miss winter.

I stick to cotton or linen, lots of skirts and lightweight fabrics.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

alegria

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 07:46:37 PM »
I'll complain about the cold, Dottyg, and I'll do it right now.  It is 63 degrees outside and raining...in Seattle...in August.  It should be at -least- 80F and it's not.  We've barely had any summer weather at all, and I'm just devastated.   :'(

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »
I have a large collection of company shirts that are surprisingly cute for being women's company shirts. At least twice a week, I wear one of those with black or tan capris. Other days, a cute short skirt and matching t-shirt.

Oh yeah, and sandals. I don't do closed toe much anymore unless I have to.
Words mean things.

Master_Edward

• Lord what fools these mortals be!
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 07:49:31 PM »
Just a pair of shorts right now.

Ed.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »
I wear jeans all year 'round. In the summer, I often roll them up, but I don't have any shorts or "capri" pants. I haven't found any shorts that fit my style - there seems to be little-to-nothing in between that which is teeny-bopper short and that which looks matronly on me.

With my jeans, I wear a lot of sandals and open-toed shoes, sleeveless or short-sleeved tops, and I always have a cardigan or light jacket with me for when inside meat-locker-cold air-conditioned buildings.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 07:56:15 PM »
Easy! I'm not.