Author Topic: When the vendor can't make it right  (Read 3948 times)

norrina

When the vendor can't make it right
« on: August 09, 2010, 02:41:39 PM »
I'll try to make the backstory as brief as possible here.

On July 15 (a Thursday) I placed an order for a textbook through the fractionally named subsidiary of a well-known online auction site. On July 19 (the Monday following) I received an automated notification from the site that my order had been shipped, with a tracking number. Unfortunately, when I used the tracking number at the shipper's site, it showed as no record of the item. Initially I figured the package has simply not been scanned it at pick-up as I've seen this happen with delivery confirmation before. When I still did not have delivery by July 29 (Thursday) however I became a bit concerned, as my experience has been that even media mail usually delivers in less than a week, especially when coming from only a few states away as this was. I was beginning to suspect that this book never made it to the shipper, and I decided to check the tracking one more time before contacting the seller. This time the number was in the shipper's system, showing as received by the shipper on July 26. The book was delivered the next day, Friday, July 30. It had been shipped in an unpadded mailer, which had torn open in transit (this was a 1700+ page textbook) and was held together by rubberbands wrapped around it by the shipper.

So, to summarize, a book that I ordered on July 15 was not shipped until July 26, with no communication from the seller about the delay, and the packaging of the shipment was insufficient. After deliberating with myself considerably, I opted not to contact the seller about my displeasure, as there was nothing to be done to correct the situation. I left negative feedback, the first time I have ever done so in my 7 years of using this site, stating that "Ordered & pd 07/15/10, shipped 07/26/10. Poorly packed, unpadded envelope ripped."

Now, to my question. Today I received an email from the seller, "I just saw your negative feedback you have left for me on my account. I am terribly sorry to hear this! USPS has been letting me down lately, however I must take the responsibility. Would a 20% discount rectify the issue? Again, I am so sorry you are not happy. I cannot accept negative feedback from my customers. I hope to hear from you soon."

How do I respond to this? The problem did NOT lie within the shipper, it was solely with him. He did not ship the package in a timely manner, and he did not package it properly. A discount cannot in fact rectify this. What is done is done.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: When the vendor can't make it right
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »
I'd be tempted to ignore it, but I don't think that's a good idea.

Instead, I think you should state as simply as you can that you don't want anything from seller, and that nothing he can give you or do for you will change your negative opinion of the transaction.  If you think it's necessary, you could also ask not to be contacted again.

WhiteTigerCub

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
It seems the seller is at least trying to right the situation by offering a discount. He/she may not realize the necessity of the 'timeliness' of the item being shipped was the most important to you. Perhaps they believe you ordered it from them because it was the lowest price...?

I would send a simple message back.   "I appreciate your apology, unfortunately since I needed the item on 07/17, it was a great inconvience to me. If I had been notified prior of the shipping problems I would have made different arrangements."

Arizona

Shannon

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 04:09:56 PM »
I'm confused--how was the seller able to give you a tracking number if the package hadn't been delivered to the shipper yet?

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 04:16:31 PM »
I'm confused--how was the seller able to give you a tracking number if the package hadn't been delivered to the shipper yet?

I think  (in the US) it's possible to pre-purchase shipping envelopes and materials. So you buy the shipping box (flat rate) and put the book in it. You can then send the shipping info and drop the box at the post office (or directly in the mailbox/courier pickup) and they will even pick up at you door.

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 04:22:12 PM »

I think  (in the US) it's possible to pre-purchase shipping envelopes and materials. So you buy the shipping box (flat rate) and put the book in it. You can then send the shipping info and drop the box at the post office (or directly in the mailbox/courier pickup) and they will even pick up at you door.

There are also shippers that will let you sign up for a online account that will allow the shipper to assign tracking numbers and print labels. 
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 04:23:11 PM »
Was the book damaged?  Did the shipper have a guarantee in the ad about how long he/she takes to ship packages?  

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

veryfluffy

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 04:28:41 PM »
To be honest, I would have contacted the seller and asked for a replacement, properly packaged. As you said, it was their fault it was damaged in transit, due to inadequate packaging. I would have given them the opportunity to rectify the problem before posting negative feedback.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 04:30:03 PM »
To be honest, I would have contacted the seller and asked for a replacement, properly packaged. As you said, it was their fault it was damaged in transit, due to inadequate packaging. I would have given them the opportunity to rectify the problem before posting negative feedback.

Kinda sorta what I was thinking, too.

Harlow

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 04:33:19 PM »

Agreed, I was thinking that to. People shouldn't be so quick to leave negative things about  a seller, without giving the seller a chance to fix the problem. To me it's very OTT. I've had bad experiences from sellers to, similar to the OP.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 04:38:28 PM »

Agreed, I was thinking that to. People shouldn't be so quick to leave negative things about  a seller, without giving the seller a chance to fix the problem. To me it's very OTT. I've had bad experiences from sellers to, similar to the OP.

How does that rectify the problem of an *eleven day* delay between receipt of payment and shipment?  Once a seller has my money, my purchase should be on its way within 3-7 days.  Eleven days is simply outrageous, absent a notice about delayed shipping.
•   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

norrina

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »

Sort of like this, yes. The post office has stacks of delivery confirmation labels with a barcode and tracking number pre-printed on them that you can pick up for free. You take a stack of these labels home, and when you sell a widget you stick it in a box, address it and affix a delivery confirmation number, and then pay for the whole shebang when you actually ship the package. There are a couple different ways to pay. You can use an online account to print a paid shipping label from home and have the postal service pick up your package for you, or you can take your package to the post office and pay and ship your package there.

My seller appears to have prepared my book for shipping on the 19th, but he did not actually take the package to the post office until the 26th. When you take your package to the post office and pay for the shipping there, the post office will print a postage label with the date on it. My package had one of these types of labels on it, dated July 26th.

I did get the book before my classes started, but I simply feel that 11 days to ship is entirely unacceptable. I also should have mentioned in my OP that the seller's description promised, "Fast shipping, GUARANTEED!" I do like your email regardless jania, because if I had been notified of the delay, I *would* have made other arrangements.

The book was not actually damaged, luckily. Only because once the mailer tore the PO wrapped it securely with rubber bands to keep the book from falling out, and appear to have handled it with care. If there had been anything the seller could have done to rectify, I would have gladly given them that opportunity, but there honestly wasn't/isn't. I did get my book, and it is in usable condition, but overall this was a negative experience for me.

flo

• used to be re-moe
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 04:43:41 PM »

If you use Click and Ship, you can print a shipping label from your computer and that gets the package info in the system.  You can either ship from your home or drop the package off at any post office.  So, if you just didn't actually put the package out for pick up, or drop it off, there would be a huge delay.

Personally, I think 11 days to ship is outrageous, but I would check the rules on the site to see if that falls within their acceptable shipping time.  I also think there is no excuse for poor packaging, and would hat to have my intelligence insulted by a seller blaming the shipper for what is clearly the seller's fault.  I think a 20% discount doesn't even come close to what should be offered.  However, I also think a buyer should contact a seller and let them try to make it right before leaving negative feedback.  As a seller, I would rather give up the money then the good feedback.  I would offer a huge discount to please a buyer and keep my good feedback record.

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 04:44:35 PM »
I think it's very possible that the 11 day delay was with the shipper, although the poor packaging was not.  I had this happen with something I shipped my mother for Christmas.  I got a tracking number at the post office, but for some reason, the package didn't leave that day or the next (not for a week).  I don't know why, but these things do happen.

I would have contacted the seller after a few days and let him know that you didn't get the package and couldn't find the tracking number on the shipper's website.  He may have been able to find out what was happening and get the book sent sooner than it did.

I also think that it would be more polite to let the seller know what the problem is before you leave negative feedback.  I understand, at that point, that nothing would make it better, but at least give him a chance to try to make it right first.

That being said, I wouldn't go as far as saying that it was rude to leave negative feedback with calling him first.

Harlow

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 04:45:33 PM »

How does that rectify the problem of an *eleven day* delay between receipt of payment and shipment?  Once a seller has my money, my purchase should be on its way within 3-7 days.  Eleven days is simply outrageous, absent a notice about delayed shipping.

By contacting the seller directly before posting any negative feed back.

Plus if I'm thinking of the same website the OP used, every seller has different shipments. They will state specifically on their page what their shipment policies are.  I always buy from one who only ships once a month.