Author Topic: When the vendor can't make it right  (Read 4185 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: When the vendor can't make it right
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 12:49:27 PM »
The thing that strikes me is that the seller isn't even offering a refund -- he's offering a discount.  Meaning, norrina would have to buy something else from him in order to actually receive what he's offering.  To me, that's the absolute biggest of all "I want to make it right" cop-outs when a business has seriously screwed up.  Unhappy customers aren't going to be made less unhappy by being "given" something that requires them to do yet more business with you.  Your best shot at making an unhappy customer less unhappy is to give them some money back from the transaction they have already completed and are unhappy about.

It probably would have been a good idea to keep a closer eye on the tracking number, since that might have clued her in that it hadn't been shipped a bit faster.  But if there was no way to actually track the package, and norrina was operating under the assumption that it could take as long as a week to get the package, then she wouldn't have contacted the seller until July 26th anyway...which is the day the package shipped.  So it wouldn't have improved her opinion of the transaction in the slightest, and there'd still be basically nothing that the seller could do.

Plus, seriously, sometimes I forget about things I've ordered, if I have it in my head that it will take a week (or something).  Unless I get an email reminder, I might not think to check until the time frame I'm expecting has already passed.  I've got other things going on in my life, and don't always have the head space to remember about packages and whatnot, especially if they're coming through USPS (since that doesn't require that I be home to receive it).

Either way, with the way the events transpired (even if it would have been better to do things differently), I agree that there wasn't any real point in contacting the seller privately.  There wasn't any way that he could make her experience positive or even neutral, and the negative feedback clues him in to the fact that she was not happy with the service.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »
On sites like this, your feedback is your reputation, and your reputation needs to be earned.  If you want a good reputation, you do a good job.  In this case, that means shipping the goods, well packaged, according to the time guidelines posted by the site or in the listing.

I don't leave negative feedback lightly, and I know that sometimes things go wrong.  If something happens, and a shipment is late getting out, and I get a sincere apology and explanation from the seller, and possibly a partial refund, I'd most likely leave positive or neutral feedback.

In thos case, though, there are three strikes against the seller.  He waited WAY too long to ship the package.  Unless your listing says that you only ship once a month, or once a week, or something, I expect things to ship within a few days, especially if you advertise fast shipping.  Then, when the OP complained about the shipping, he blamed the post office, when she had proof that it was his fault.  And on top of that, he didn't even secure the package so it would arrive in good condition.  Had just one of those things happened, I could see giving him a break, but all three is pretty good evidence that he's just not professional.

As a buyer, I would definitely want to know about this guy's lack of professionalism.  I'm also not going to read through hundreds of positive feedback messages to find the ones that are actually negative.  I skim the positives, and read the negatives and neutrals, and I really appreciate people giving honest feedback.

If he can't accept negative feedback, then he needs to improve his business practices, and earn positive feedback, not try to buy positive feedback from his customers.

norrina

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2010, 06:41:46 PM »
I think that you should have contacted the seller after the shipper's website showed no knowledge of the package. Why did you wait so long? So, while the shipper should have shipped right away, I do think that your responsibilty included raising a concern right away, not waiting until you did finally receiving it and leaving a negative feeedback. I think the offer of a discount is fair. Nothing can fix the issue now (though had you raised the issue right away it could have been resolved by the seller) so a discount is about all he can do to help soothe the issue.

The reason I did not contact the seller immediately when the shipper's website did not recognize the tracking number is because I have seen it happen before that a package is not scanned at the post office upon receipt. In fact, for a while I was seeing it happen that way more often than not even. So my initial thought was simply that there had not been an origination scan of the package, and that it would show up shortly. I expected the package to come media mail (which it did), so I didn't start to really wonder about its delivery until the 29th, at which point in time I learned that it had finally been shipped 3 days prior.

What Rainha said about 3 strikes was exactly what motivated me to leave a negative rather than a neutral and then decline to delete the negative feedback later. If the package had merely been sent late with no communication, I would have left a neutral and if the packaging had been the only issue, I probably would not have simply foregone feedback altogether. But the combination of the two took this from a neutral experience to a decidedly negative one, and then the seller's attempt to foist the blame onto the post office took this further into negative territory. In my mind, any mitigating effect of his offer of a 20% discount (which I did read as an offer to refund 20%, not apply that money to a future purchase, FWIW), was negated by lying to me about the chain of events.