Poll

You're driving, and the baby's diaper becomes dirty - When (how soon) / where do you change the diaper?

Right now!  Pull over to the shoulder!
0 (0%)
As soon as possible - Take next exit
49 (24.6%)
Finish driving home (15 min or less)
116 (58.3%)
Finish driving home (15-30 min)
20 (10.1%)
Finish driving home (30 min +)
14 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Delay in changing a diaper  (Read 5782 times)

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Delay in changing a diaper
« on: August 09, 2010, 07:15:20 PM »
I lamented on my Live Journal that boundaries have become erased on public transit (light rail), and used changing a diaper *on the train* as an example.  Granted, the occasion I witnessed featured a lot of other violations, which may color my feelings about it.

A friend of mine with a newborn replied back, "sometimes you have to change a baby's diaper in public."

I don't agree.  I think it's perfectly reasonable to get off the train at the next stop with a bathroom facility (not all stops *have* bathroom facilities) and change the baby's diaper in the bathroom then get back on the train.

Which got me to thinking:  You're driving, say from Grandma's house back home, about a 45 minute drive.  Your baby's diaper becomes soiled.  When do you change the diaper?  Do you pull off to the shoulder right away?  Take the next exit?  Finish driving home?

I'm curious as to the answers.   

Emma
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Delay in changing a diaper
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 07:26:56 PM »
Well, for my friend's daughter Duckie, it had to be done right then. She could get a rash in less than five minutes.

But few kids are as sensitive as her. (and her mama would have never changed her in front of someone. She could change a kid still in the stroller in no time.)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

MyFamily

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 07:28:15 PM »
it depends - is the smell noxious, then as soon as we can; if it isn't and the child is not prone to rashes, then it can wait.  If it is a mess though, then it also gets changed right away.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:30:32 PM »
Other - it depends.

If it is only a few minutes, I would wait until we get home. If it is longer, I would pull over to the shoulder and change the child in the car.

And I wouldn't get off the train. Around here, if you get off, you pay full price to get back on again. And you might miss your connections.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

hellgirl

• Procrastinator-extraordinaire!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:32:54 PM »
It can often wait a while with us because our little'un isn't generally bothered by it. If he was distressed however (only happened once, with a major nappy blowout) I'd stop as soon as was practical and do it in the boot of the car. Because I figure it's not fair on him for me to leave him in distress for my own convenience.  :)

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 07:38:29 PM »
Other - it depends.

If it is only a few minutes, I would wait until we get home. If it is longer, I would pull over to the shoulder and change the child in the car.

And I wouldn't get off the train. Around here, if you get off, you pay full price to get back on again. And you might miss your connections.

That I could understand.  

Here, it's light rail, and your fare card is scanned when you go through the fare gate, before you get on the train.  Your card is scanned again when you exit the fare gate at your destination, and your fare is calculated based on distance from embarking station to disembarking station.  You can disembark at an interim stop, not go through the fare gate (the bathrooms are in the "ticketed" section), then catch the next train (during peak times, they run every 15 minutes) to your final destination.

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »
It would depend - how bad the smell is, and how bad the consistency (DS used to have "sudden butt explosion disorder" in the summer, followed immediately by containment failure), and the state of the child's behind. DS was not prone to rashes, but when he did have one, immediately changing him was the only was to prevent it seriously worsening.

That said, I NEVER changed a diaper in a setting as public as mass transit, or the public area of a shopping mall. The closest I came was the back seat of our car in a public parking lot.
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

Hunter-Gatherer

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 07:46:33 PM »
Well, if I'm more than 15 minutes from home, the chances are that I'd be on some sort of a major highway and wouldn't feel safe on the shoulder anyway, so that gets ruled out straight off.  Depending on the strength of the stench, and how uncomfortable the little guy is, fifteen minutes is probably the normal cut off for my trying to get home, but if I was really tired, or had been driving for a while, or I had some other reason, I might stretch it to a half an hour.  On the other hand, if I knew I wasn't that close and was going to have to stop at some point anyway, I'd take the next reasonable exit/rest stop/scenic overlook/whatever.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 07:46:57 PM »
I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. On public transit, I'd probably be conscious of how the smell might be affecting others. Me in my car alone with the baby? I could put up with it longer than I could reasonably expect strangers to be willing to.

On public transportation, though, it would depend on how many stops there are, if I have to pay to get back on, or where else I might find diaper-changing facilities.

ipsedixit

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 07:47:55 PM »
I agree it depends.  Are there other people in the car and the smell is horrible?  Yea, I'll probably pull off at the next exit.  

It's just me?  I'll wait till I get home unless the kid is screaming his head off.

I would never do it on public transportation, other public spaces, or on someones couch (as my SIL did this weekend  ::)).  I would wait to find a bathroom or use the back of my car.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 07:48:28 PM »
My daughter's diapers could clear a room, but I would try to get home (under 10 minutes) if already in the car.  Once, we were in Big Store and I changed her in the restroom before shopping.

Waiting even ten minutes only seems to work if it isn't a blowout, and the baby hasn't learned to get out of her clothes and diaper  :-X.

gui

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 07:53:44 PM »
I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. On public transit, I'd probably be conscious of how the smell might be affecting others. Me in my car alone with the baby? I could put up with it longer than I could reasonably expect strangers to be willing to.

On public transportation, though, it would depend on how many stops there are, if I have to pay to get back on, or where else I might find diaper-changing facilities.

I don't have kids, but as a passenger I agree, I think there's a big difference between what you can tolerate in your own car vs. what others should have to tolerate.

On the train, if you can get to a bathroom and put on a clean diaper there, that's great, because then I don't have to smell it!  If you can't, I understand--it happens.  (Don't get upset if I change cars, though!)  Changing it in front of people is not okay. 

In your own car, your preferences rule (based on your own tolerance, or what you know about your baby's sensitivity).

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »
I said fifteen minutes, but the fact of the matter is that I would never change a diaper in public.

My mother once showed me how it was possible to change the diaper while RoseyCheeks was still in the stroller (about five months old). She did just fine and no one noticed that she was changing a diaper . . . until, of course, she had to take the soiled diaper and throw it away.

Of course, the first time I ever stood up to my MIL was about changing a diaper in public. RoseyCheeks was four months old, and we were at an outdoor mall. RC needed her diaper changed, but this shopping venture was at the tail end of ten days of "We do X" and "We do Y." We couldn't find a restroom very easily, so MIL said to RC, "It's okay. We're not too proud to change you on the bench, are we?" And I jumped in with, "No, wait! Sorry, but we are too proud!" I was as polite as I could be, and it really only took us about ten minutes to find a bathroom (although we did have to walk half a mile), but I have a thing about changing diapers in public.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 08:06:37 PM »
I think the poll and you're actual question don't line up very well.  If it were 15 minutes or more I would likely try to change the baby.  On the train, I really don't know it would depend on a lot of factors, but changing a little on in public wouldn't be my first choice. 

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 08:15:54 PM »
I think the poll and you're actual question don't line up very well.  If it were 15 minutes or more I would likely try to change the baby.  On the train, I really don't know it would depend on a lot of factors, but changing a little on in public wouldn't be my first choice. 

The point of the poll was really to determine whether the diaper had to be changed *now* (in which case changing it on the train car would be consistent) or whether it could wait <15, 15, or <30 minutes, in which case, given that *here* it's possible to disembark and re-embark mid-trip, it was reasonable to think diaper changing could wait until a stop or the end of the journey. 

Emma