Poll

You're driving, and the baby's diaper becomes dirty - When (how soon) / where do you change the diaper?

Right now!  Pull over to the shoulder!
0 (0%)
As soon as possible - Take next exit
49 (24.6%)
Finish driving home (15 min or less)
116 (58.3%)
Finish driving home (15-30 min)
20 (10.1%)
Finish driving home (30 min +)
14 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Delay in changing a diaper  (Read 5496 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Delay in changing a diaper
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 08:17:30 PM »
My little one does this painful cry when she has a wet diaper.  Honestly, you would want us to change it right away.  

A train would be tough, though.  I don't like to change her in public, and people are sort of trapped nearby.  

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 08:59:08 PM »
Other - it depends.

If it is only a few minutes, I would wait until we get home. If it is longer, I would pull over to the shoulder and change the child in the car.

And I wouldn't get off the train. Around here, if you get off, you pay full price to get back on again. And you might miss your connections.

That I could understand. 

Here, it's light rail, and your fare card is scanned when you go through the fare gate, before you get on the train.  Your card is scanned again when you exit the fare gate at your destination, and your fare is calculated based on distance from embarking station to disembarking station.  You can disembark at an interim stop, not go through the fare gate (the bathrooms are in the "ticketed" section), then catch the next train (during peak times, they run every 15 minutes) to your final destination.

Ah, I see. That would be more like taking BigCity bus here. I would have no hesitation getting off and finding a restroom.

(And I'm green with envy now. I don't live in BigCity anymore. I miss their transit system!!)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 11:31:37 PM »
If I was on the highway, I'd only pull over if it was safe. If there was an exit nearby I'd take that instead. (I'm not sure what I'd do if my kid got diaper rashes in under five minutes. Probably anything to avoid the rash.)

On the train, no way. I'd get off, even if I missed a connection and had to pay full price to get back on.

Of course, I have no children. We'll see what I say when there's a wee Nurv running around. ;)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 07:21:08 AM »
in *my* car - i would never pull over to the shoulder to change a diaper. i don't think it's safe and a diaper (even if baby is prone to rashes) isn't enough of an emergency IMHO. I would pull over at the nearest exit/rest stop. For under 15 minutes i would probably just go home. FTR - DS was very prone to rashes and we even stopped using wipes at some point and would wash him under a faucet for most changes so that going home was an easier option

on public transportation - if it's smelly i would get off if possible and use nearest bathroom.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ACBNYC

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 08:41:38 AM »
in *my* car - i would never pull over to the shoulder to change a diaper. i don't think it's safe and a diaper (even if baby is prone to rashes) isn't enough of an emergency IMHO. I would pull over at the nearest exit/rest stop. For under 15 minutes i would probably just go home. FTR - DS was very prone to rashes and we even stopped using wipes at some point and would wash him under a faucet for most changes so that going home was an easier option

on public transportation - if it's smelly i would get off if possible and use nearest bathroom.

POD to this, I would never pull over on the shoulder. Anywhere between 15-30 minutes in my car would be fine if home were the destination. If I wasn't on my way home, it would depend on where I was going to determine whether I'd pull off to an exit/rest stop or continue on.

There are a lot of "buts" (no pun intended) here, though. If DD were rash-prone, I'd probably do it faster. If I were on public transit and it was really obviously foul, I'd get off the train so as to not gross out the other passengers--assuming I was comfortable getting off and finding a restroom, which isn't always possible if I don't know the area....

Hopefully DD will finish potty training soon so I don't have to worry about this any more.  ;D

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 08:50:57 AM »
I chose 15 minutes or less, but really, it does depend on the situation.  And the kid.  With the younger one, who is still almost exclusively breastfed (we've started with little bits of solid food), it's not as urgent to get it done right away.  If we're on the way somewhere that starts at a certain time, like church, I would wait until we go there.  With the older one, if I don't change her within ten minutes, she gets a bleeding rash.  But she almost never gets a dirty diaper in the car.  I think the last time was over six months ago.  So I didn't factor her in, but if I had, I would have said "next exit."

ETA:  On public transportation, no way would I change them out where everyone could see.  I'm not real familiar with trains, so I can't answer for that, but I wouldn't change them on a plane or bus.  My older daughter is very tall, so if we were in the middle of a long flight, and the bathroom was too small, I don't know what I'd do.  Changing her standing up is still not possible; she's still a little unsteady.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:53:10 AM by MrsJWine »

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 10:18:54 AM »
If it's a #2, I would probably change it as soon as I could but if I'm only 15 minutes from home, I'll just wait to do it there.  Otherwise, I'd find a place to do it (gas station, rest stop, fast food place) and do the changing in the intended changing place.  Poo on skin for an extended period of time can give them a nasty rash.  

Pee diaper, unless my kid was predisposed to nasty rashes, it could probably wait until we got home.  On long trips, I changed them every time we stopped for gas/food/whatever and also put a layer of diaper cream to help minimize any irritation.

On a train, I'd probably try to change the #2 diaper as soon as I could, not only for the baby's comfort but for those around me. However, I would not be doing it ON the train ON the seat.  (I wasn't sure if you were talking commuter trainer or Amtrak.)  On a commuter bus, I'm not sure what one could do other than wait until they got off.  Our bus stops aren't always near businesses.  I suppose if they had the right kind of stroller, they could get off and change them in the stroller and re-board the next bus, assuming it wasn't in the middle of winter.  I think this is the very reason I avoided buses and trains as much as I could when the girls were little.

On a plane, I'd change them in the bathroom as best I could.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:22:50 AM by 2littlemonkeys »

alegria

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 10:27:11 AM »
I think that pulling over onto the shoulder of the highway is very dangerous and should only be reserved for serious emergencies, generally of the vehicular kind.  While I am not a parent, I'm having a hard time imagining what sort of diaper situation would be so drastic that it would be worth the safety of myself and the child to pull over onto the shoulder to deal with it.

Plus it's not always feasible to pull over even if you're willing to do so.  I'll be doing a road trip in October with a friend and her 5-month-old child, and we'll be pulling my travel trailer along with us.  No WAY can we get a 60' rig safely onto the shoulder of a highway - heck I don't think I could fit my truck alone safely on the shoulder of the highways around here, many of the shoulders would be too narrow.

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 10:43:40 AM »
I put 'soon as posible' net exit.

both had really bad exma and within a couple of minutes a soiled nappy would have caused a bleeding rash

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

HushHush

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 10:52:48 AM »
If its a noxious diaper and I'm on a train, I'd cover the baby as best I could and change it as soon as possible.  The nasty smell would then be gone because I can throw the dirty diaper in a ziploc or plastic bag I always carried with me.  I also always carried a largish receiving blanket, changing pad and lots of wipes to wipe down the area.  If the smell is bad enough for me to leave the train, I wouldn't want to subject others to it any longer than needed.  If I rode a train regularly, I'd even keep a travel size of febreeze or something for emergencies.

An emergency doesn't have normal rules I think.  And in some cases a poopy diaper is an emergency that simply can't wait until the next stop and must be dealt with immediately.  My ds loved broccoli but it gave him the nastiest diapers so I didn't feed it to him if we were going to go on a drive later in the day.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 01:39:50 PM »
It depends- mine could have waited until the next service station and a trip to the Parent room. One of my friends had a baby who had to be changed immediately or he got horrific nappy rash. But yes, sometimes parents have no choice. If there are facilities or somewhere private nearby they must be used, but otherwise, sometimes you just have to do it.
NE England

Aggiesque

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 01:42:54 PM »
I've never even been on a train.

I've changed many diapers in my lap and in the car, though. I will usually try to go to a private area if at all possible- a true baby doesn't bother me, but I have a 1 yr old now.
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 12:25:05 AM »
I think driving and taking the train are VERY different.
Getting off at an exit and getting off at the next train stop are VERY different. Even if it doesn't cost you extra to get back on, you still have a potentially much longer wait, etc. Trains run on their own schedule.

I think that other people shouldn't have to see you changing the diaper, and you should protect surfaces. You should use a separate room whenever possible.

But feces (and feces plus urine especially) can be really painful if it lasts very long at all.

WoogsGal is also right--it's easier to eliminate the smell if I can get the diaper off the kid.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 03:23:12 AM »

ETA:  On public transportation, no way would I change them out where everyone could see.  I'm not real familiar with trains, so I can't answer for that, but I wouldn't change them on a plane or bus.  My older daughter is very tall, so if we were in the middle of a long flight, and the bathroom was too small, I don't know what I'd do.  Changing her standing up is still not possible; she's still a little unsteady.

My daughter is also very tall and luckily now out of nappies, but the last time we flew when she still had them on, it really was a feat to change her. I'm tall as well and squeezing into the loo with the changing table down is a manouvere in itself... I had to balance her on the changing table sideways and bend myself into a totally unnatural position to do the deed.

But I'd rather put up with five minutes of total discomfort than do what I've seen some people do - changing the baby on the airplane seat. That just really is off.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

evil_xylo

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 04:18:42 AM »

My daughter is also very tall and luckily now out of nappies, but the last time we flew when she still had them on, it really was a feat to change her. I'm tall as well and squeezing into the loo with the changing table down is a manouvere in itself... I had to balance her on the changing table sideways and bend myself into a totally unnatural position to do the deed.

But I'd rather put up with five minutes of total discomfort than do what I've seen some people do - changing the baby on the airplane seat. That just really is off.

I've heard some parents with older/larger children say that they take a changing pad or blanket and lay it on the floor of the airplane bathroom, leave the door open, and the parent kneels in the little hallway to change a diaper.  With as small as those bathrooms are this is sometimes the only possible way to change larger babies/toddlers on planes.  It isn't the best option, but it is better than changing them on the seat.