Poll

You're driving, and the baby's diaper becomes dirty - When (how soon) / where do you change the diaper?

Right now!  Pull over to the shoulder!
0 (0%)
As soon as possible - Take next exit
49 (24.6%)
Finish driving home (15 min or less)
116 (58.3%)
Finish driving home (15-30 min)
20 (10.1%)
Finish driving home (30 min +)
14 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Author Topic: Delay in changing a diaper  (Read 5485 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Delay in changing a diaper
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 07:03:39 AM »
Speaking as someone who had to change her daughter on a plane once because another passenger locked herself in the only lavatory for half an hour . . . it depends.  If your baby is in a car seat, their butt isn't moving around - anything in that diaper will stay relatively contained until you get home (and if it's already made a mess, that's not going to change either).  Rash is an issue, but it depends on the baby and the type of "full" the diaper is.  However, if you're somewhere your baby/toddler is moving around - a train, airplane, shopping cart, etc. - then you really don't have as much time because a "mostly full" diaper can go to "leaking" very quickly as your child moves . . .

flo

• used to be re-moe
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 09:08:17 AM »
Another issue with the babies that do get the bleeding rash is that they are usually in pain while waiting to be changed which equals fussing.  Bad smell plus crying infant is not a fun combination for anyone!

Youngest DD was one who would get the bleeding rash so we changed her everytime we stopped the car on road trips.  If she went while we were driving, we pulled off at the next exit for a change.  I also used lots of rash ointment to prevent rashes while we were traveling.  DD even had prescription ointment for her rashes.  It worked fast but I had to get the dirty diaper off quickly and get the oinment on so she wouldn't be in pain.

They make little bags to help with the visual and odor issues of dirty diapers once they are off the baby.  With those, no one should even have to see or smell a dirty diaper being disposed of.

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 10:13:23 AM »
Does any of that make it OK to change her on the train in front of everyone? Or is that the reason you'd get right off at the next stop and change her in a more private area?

flo

• used to be re-moe
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 10:15:50 AM »
Marina,  Are you asking me?

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 10:30:10 AM »
Yes, sorry I was trying to avoid a potentially large quote tree :)

flo

• used to be re-moe
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 10:50:52 AM »
OK.  I just wasn't sure.

I really have no experience with trains.  I've never even lived in a city that had a really usable public transportation system.  I would love to say that I would never dream of changing a baby on a train but as soon as I do, I will end up with my grandson, on a train, with the contents of his diaper leaking all over me and the person next to me.  I'll have no choice but to change him and wipe down the entire train car with the 7 half dried out wipes left in his diaper bag and then I'll feel like a huge hypocrite!

Seriously, with DD, speed was an issue.  15 minutes would be about 14 minutes too long!  But since we were traveling by car, it didn't bother anyone.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 11:29:36 AM »
It just doesn't seem like train or bus travel is the best for babies and this kind of situation. But I know that in some areas, you have no choice.

I've seen plane changings being done in that open area by the emergency exit. The parent lays down the changing pad, and does it there. Seems like the best place to do it, lots of room, you're not taking up the bathroom (and really, they're all so small, how could you possibly have room?), and it's more private.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 12:11:37 PM »
Plus, there are trains and then there are trains.  Subway train, I would probably get off.  Regular train, I probably wouldn't.  Of course, my baby's poop doesn't stink.  Really!  Exclusive breastmilk and cloth diapers equals no smell. 

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 01:26:32 PM »
OK.  I just wasn't sure.

I really have no experience with trains.  I've never even lived in a city that had a really usable public transportation system.  I would love to say that I would never dream of changing a baby on a train but as soon as I do, I will end up with my grandson, on a train, with the contents of his diaper leaking all over me and the person next to me.  I'll have no choice but to change him and wipe down the entire train car with the 7 half dried out wipes left in his diaper bag and then I'll feel like a huge hypocrite!

Seriously, with DD, speed was an issue.  15 minutes would be about 14 minutes too long!  But since we were traveling by car, it didn't bother anyone.

Thanks for the answer :) I guess a train is a really different situation than a car. OI don't know what solution will be best for the kid but also for the unsuspecting train passengers. Food for though ;)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 01:36:56 PM »
If at all possible, I think the parent should prepare ahead of time for long rides on public transportation.  Change the baby as close to departure as possible, feed the baby foods that will bind her up (just a little--not so much that it causes constipation), things like that.  I also carry plastic bags with me wherever I go.  I will do everything in my power not to have to change a baby in front of other people.  It grosses me out when it's other people's kids.

That said, sometimes things just happen.  Sometimes a diaper has to get changed, even when you're in front of other people.  I have to see adults who drool on themselves and shout obscenities on the bus, adults who have terrible body odor, bad breath, black teeth and greasy hair.  Sometimes they can't help it; other times they're perfectly sane adults in full control of their faculties.  It's unpleasant, but I don't get angry (well, maybe a little if it's someone who could control it if he chose to, but it's hard to tell that just by looking); it's just a part of living in a world with other people.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Ambrosia Hino

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 02:02:24 PM »
If driving, I would say pull off/over as soon as its safe to do so. Next exit, next parking lot, whatever. Waiting to change the diaper can result in diaper rashes and/or leakage into the carseat, that will stink up the car for the rest of the drive (or longer).

On public transit, I would go with whatever caused the least disturbance to those around you. If exiting the train at the next stop means paying again, I wouldn't do so. Also if it would cause problems with your ultimate arrival time (you'd end up missing a connection, or waiting a long period of time for another ride), I wouldn't do it either. I guess it would depend on how much longer you're going to be on the train/bus/plane...if its only a few minutes, it should be fine to wait...if longer, I'm going to hope there's a bathroom you can use for privacy's sake (and disposal).

alegria

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 02:16:23 PM »
Something else just occurred to me - around here, we have "commuter" buses that run from downtown out to a certain area of suburbia without any stops in between.  The length of the trip could easily be 45-90 minutes depending on the distance and the traffic that day.  If someone has a baby who messes during that trip, they literally have two choices: let the child sit in a dirty diaper, or change them on the bus.  Unpleasant for the rest of the bus passengers, yes - but unfortunately unavoidable at times.  As long as the baby could be changed safely, I think it would be the least unpleasant option for everyone involved.

CakeEater

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 07:21:58 PM »
I don't know if there's a train station in my nearest big city that has changing facilities, so you'd be changing baby in public regardless. And trains run each 1/2 hour or less frequently. There's no way I'd be getting off a train to change a toddler on the platform and wait 30 minutes or longer with a wriggly toddler for the next train.

I'd be changing them on the train floor with a mat as far away from others as possible, or in their pram, as far away from people as possible.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2010, 07:50:16 PM »
If at all possible, I think the parent should prepare ahead of time for long rides on public transportation.  Change the baby as close to departure as possible, feed the baby foods that will bind her up (just a little--not so much that it causes constipation), things like that.  I also carry plastic bags with me wherever I go.  I will do everything in my power not to have to change a baby in front of other people.  It grosses me out when it's other people's kids.

That said, sometimes things just happen.  Sometimes a diaper has to get changed, even when you're in front of other people.  I have to see adults who drool on themselves and shout obscenities on the bus, adults who have terrible body odor, bad breath, black teeth and greasy hair.  Sometimes they can't help it; other times they're perfectly sane adults in full control of their faculties.  It's unpleasant, but I don't get angry (well, maybe a little if it's someone who could control it if he chose to, but it's hard to tell that just by looking); it's just a part of living in a world with other people.

I agree. Sometimes you have to choose the lesser of two evils, and no matter what you do someone won't like it and will be critical either way.