A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Cleaning winter boots (kitty mess)

(1/3) > >>

jpcher:
Don't know why, don't know how, but our closet door was left open. Winter boots are stored in there and kitty decided to, I dunno, mark her territory? and yup, did her liquid bathroom thing all over the boots. (She's never done this anywhere on anything in the house other than her box.)

4 pairs, to be exact. 2 are fake suede with fur lining, 2 are the knit legged with fur lining. All have rubber soles.

The boots are not (super)expensive, still in good shape -- but replacing 4 pairs?

Can I just throw them in the washer/drier? Soak them in Febreeze?

Would the cost of dry-cleaning be more than replacing the boots? Would dry-cleaning get rid of the odor?

Suggestions? Ideas? HELP!

P.S. Why did my kitty do this?  :'(

Giggity:
Can't speak to the first part, but as to the second ...

1. Is her box clean?

2. Has her box recently been moved to a higher-traffic area?

3. Has her food changed recently?

If so, try restoring to original condition and see if it helps.

If not, she might be telling you she has a bladder infection. When mine get unruly in that regard, they earn themselves a vet trip.

Also, some cats are sensitive to household changes. New baby, kid went to college, you're now working where you used to stay at home ... stuff like that can send a sensitive cat into a little misbehavior. (Gentleman Friend went back to outside work last month, after working from home for a year, and the Duke boys did not like being unsupervised. They chose to act out in classic fashion: they pooed in the middle of the living room on his first day at work. It was so obvious a flipping of the bird, it made me laugh.)

AnnaT:
Dry cleaning won't get rid of the odour.  Try making a paste of baking soda and water, brush it thickly onto the stain and leave to dry then brush off.  No guarantees but I'm not sure how to clean without ruining the fur.

camlan:
Febreeze is not going to be enough for this. Perhaps nothing will be enough. But start with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, which is designed to deal with pet "inappropriate elimination." Your local pet store will have something.

Rinse the boots as well as you can, then pretty much soak the affected areas with the Nature's Miracle. Follow the directions on the container. You may have to do several treatments. The fur lining may never look the same again, but the boots should still be wearable.

You'd need to check with the dry cleaner--if the boots have rubber soles, they may not be dry cleanable. Do check on-line with the manufacturers of the boots to see if they can be machine washed, as that might also help.

Cat pee is one of the worst smells to try and get out of clothing or fabric. If the Nature's Miracle doesn't work, you have nothing to lose by machine washing, I suppose. You wouldn't be able to wear the boots if they smelled, so washing them will either remove the smell so you can wear them or destroy them so that you can throw them out with a clear conscience that you have done everything you possible could do to save them.

shhh its me:
  I had a cat do this once, I think it's shoes because they have a strong smell(to a cat). They chin rubbing cats do puts their sent on us and just rubbing chins could make the shoes smell like "us".The only pair I could save was only exposed on the hard soles. Even if the order fads any moisture can reactive it.  I either couldn't get the order out or destroyed the shoes, but these were shoes not boots.

I'd try enzymes  first then and soaking in hydrogen peroxide then machine washing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version