Author Topic: Funeral Facebook "event"  (Read 2754 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Funeral Facebook "event"
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »
I don't find it any more macabre than a newspaper obituary.  It's just a different medium.  By the time I pass away, there will probably be funerals by YouTube.  Somehow, that gives me a sense of comfort that my friend in Vladivostok could have closure that way.

gui

USC_Gamecock

• Is this thing on?
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 05:08:59 PM »
If FB is the easiest way for them to get the word out, then so be it. I do see it as macabre, but understandable.

I think a post on Facebook mentioning the death is fine, but I wouldn't create an "event" to invite people to a virtual funeral.  It's the use of the "event" function that's bothering me.

Larrabee

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 05:16:31 PM »
If FB is the easiest way for them to get the word out, then so be it. I do see it as macabre, but understandable.

I think a post on Facebook mentioning the death is fine, but I wouldn't create an "event" to invite people to a virtual funeral.  It's the use of the "event" function that's bothering me.

I think its generally used for the real funeral, not a 'virtual' one.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 05:47:14 PM »

I think its generally used for the real funeral, not a 'virtual' one.

Yes, I've only seen it done for real funerals.  And I don't have a problem with that at all--better to invite everyone you think might want to come than miss someone.

ettiquit

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 10:32:36 PM »

Another one of my friends lost her very young (23) brother a few days ago.  She posted the funeral info as status updates.  This really felt more appropriate to me. 

And honestly, I'm not really judging my co-worker for this.  I was just taken aback, but I feel so bad for him right now that I'd give him a pass if he kicked a kitten.

Larrabee

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 08:52:19 AM »

Another one of my friends lost her very young (23) brother a few days ago.  She posted the funeral info as status updates.  This really felt more appropriate to me. 

And honestly, I'm not really judging my co-worker for this.  I was just taken aback, but I feel so bad for him right now that I'd give him a pass if he kicked a kitten.

The issue with a status update is that it slips down the newsfeed quite quickly.  Lots of people don't check facebook that frequently and would miss it, but not if they had a notification of an event or a message.

Mopsy428

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 09:16:59 AM »
A friend of mine that I went to school with (elementary through high school) died a few weeks ago 3,000 miles from where I live. Someone, with the OK from the family, set up a memorial service in this area for him. I was invited to his service and the luncheon via Facebook, which I didn't mind. The obit took over three weeks to run in my local newspaper, and I was in a different part of the country when it did run, so I probably would have missed the service.

audrey1962

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 09:35:36 AM »