Author Topic: toxic sister - how long are parents responsible for?  (Read 6855 times)

mj

Re: toxic sister - how long are parents responsible for?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
Shylar, my DH and I are on a similar path as you regarding a family member.  For awhile I was downright angry or puzzled why her parents didn't reign her in, they saw it!  But they wanted everyone to excuse her because that's just the way she is.  It's maddening b/c her parents do have the power to change things, she lives with them as well. But they will not take responsibility b/c it is much easier to make everyone else just put up with her. 

Anyway, it's not easy.  Just when we think we've gotten it through to her parents that we will see them without her and they start accepting consequences, they'll slide and start trying find ways to include her in our plans again.  It's an ongoing process of putting your foot down to say you mean business.  With a lot of people like this, they are only set temporary consequences and then their bad behavior is allowed to rule again.  My advice is to be firm, don't back down, don't cave, tell your mom clearly that you will not be around her and then DO IT.  When it comes up, say clearly you will meet them somewhere else, only they are invited to your home.  You really have to mean it.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 09:41:43 PM »
On the one hand, I'm sick and tired of being the family punch bag and I won't put up with it anymore just to make everyone else's experience at family events easier. Her attitude is easy for everyone to ignore if I choose to put up with it. If I decline to go to family events and tell people why I am declining, I figure they can't pretend that enabling her rudeness isn't hurting or affecting anyone any more.

This sounds like you are the designated victim here and someone is afraid of replacing you in that role if you choose to absent yourself.  Let that fear become reality for them.

On the other hand, I really struggle with the idea that it is anyone else's job to deal with or reign in my unruly unpleasant sister. She is an adult and weather she is a guest or a household member, she isn't really answerable for her behaviour to anyone other than herself.

Perhaps, but if nobody consequences her for it she will continue to behave in her toxic manner.  I am guessing that nobody calls her on her endless toxicity because it's too much work for them or they are somehow afraid of her or your mother for protecting her.  That's their problem.

You need to see this almost like the mentally ill criminals on Law & Order shows who rant about having the right to stop taking psychiatric meds.  In fact, their right to stop their meds ends (or should end) at everyone else's right to be safe from the dangerous behaviors these meds were prescribed to prevent.  Your sister's right to behave like toxic waste should end at everyone else's right to maintain their own mental, financial, or physical health.

But on the third hand (!!) I am a mother myself, and woebetide any of my children who saw fit to talk to one another in the way she talks to me - and that goes if they were 5, or 25. Some things are not acceptable no matter how old you are, and as a mother I reserve the right to point that out even if my children aren't officially my responsibility any more. I kind of wish my mum felt like that, and also feel very immature that there's a part of me that wants her to step in and stick up for me.

Your mother somehow lost her spine around your sister.  Can you determine when and how this happened?

I've slowly been cutting off toxic family members (see my previous threads) in the hope that it will improve my rel@tionship with the spineless enablers of the bunch. Instead, it just leaves me feeling like I've no family left.

I know it can feel that way; my friend Blanche was reluctant to cut off her brothers despite their constant condescension and lack of anger management.  I told her what everyone else is telling you:  Blood is trumped by the ability (or lack of it) to place emotional trust in a person.  It should never be an excuse to abuse.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 09:52:56 PM »
As long as your mom lets your sister live with her and enables her behavior toward you, she's responsible for the fallout that occurs.  And if that means you ask her to visit you rather than you visiting her, then so be it.  You're not asking her to kick your sister out or even to control your sister's behavior, just to allow the two of you to spend time together without being exposed to the toxicity.  I see that as asking your mother to be responsible for her own actions, because she's the one who's facilitating the toxicity.

Balletmom

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »
OP, my heart goes out to you. ((()))

The thing is, you're expecting rational behavior from an irrational person (your mother.) She expects you to put up with your sister's abusive and rude behavior, because it's too difficult for her to establish boundaries and standards. I understand how hard that can be as a parent (both my DDs regularly accuse me of giving the other one a pass on their worst and most frustrating behavior) but your mom has clearly given up in terms of mistakenly keeping the peace.

In making that choice, she chooses to alienate her other daughter. Decisions have consequences.

Stay calm when you talk to your mother, and restate her feelings, so she can deal with the feeling of being caught in the middle. You're not putting her in the middle, but she feels that way. She knows if she'll enforce appropriate behavior with the Toxic DD, she'll lose that one. So she wants you to just "understand" and accept it, because you're not the crazy one.

"Mom, I hear that you feel caught in the middle. I'm sorry that is happening to you. I wouldn't like it either."

"Where can we meet for lunch/dinner/coffee so we can catch up so this is easier for both of us?"

OP, acknowledge your mother's feelings, you won't be able to change her perception, but throw the monkey back on her back by asking her to take a step towards meeting you away from Toxic Sister.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 10:16:59 PM »

Your sister is an adult, and responsible for her own behaviour. Your mother is also an adult, and responsible for her own behaviour.

In this situation, your sister's bad behaviour has resulted in you wanting nothing to do with her, because she will not treat you with basic courtesy and decency. Your mother, on the other hand, has decided that she is okay with the way your sister behaves, and has decided to blame you for standing up for yourself. In your family, it sounds like your sister's role is to behave badly and get away with it, and your role is to put up with all the crap.

At some level your mother recognizes that your sister is behaving badly - her comments about "that's just the way she is" show this. But the family situation is one where your sister gets away with behaving badly, and everyone soaks it up.

You are being very sensible in setting limits on how you are willing to be treated. But you are also bucking years of established family dynamics, and so you are likely to be seen as the one who is causing trouble.

This is not at all an unusual situation, and is one where counselling can be *hugely* helpful. It won't change your sister, but it will give you a sane view of the situation, an analysis of how things work in your family, and tools for dealing with it in as effective a way as possible.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 10:21:50 PM »
If your mother wants to put up with that behavior and is content making excuses for it, there's little you can do to change her mind.

You do NOT have to put up with it. I think that you are in the right one hundred million percent.

Perhaps if more people refuse the honor of being crapped on by Darling your mother will start to come around.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Danismom

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
Your mother is only responsible for the behavior she allows in her home.  If I read the OP right your sister lives in your mother's home.  If so, then you can simply inform your mother that you do not wish to be around your sister as her treatment of you has become intolerable.  Tell your mom that you love your mother and that you would like to continue to have a relationship with her.  (Oh, wait, you've already done that!!  Good for you!!)  Then when mom insists you are putting her in the middle, make it clear that you are doing no such thing.  You aren't insisting she take sides or get on to your sister.  You simply refuse to be around sister.  If mom wants to be around you, she can do it elsewhere and away from sister.  You aren't demanding that mom kick sister out or have nothing to do with her.  That would be putting someone in the middle.  Nope.  You are just refusing to go somewhere or socialize with someone you know is going to be mean to you. 

Goog

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 12:20:52 AM »
Not much to add, except for a suggestion for a response for the next time someone says 'that's just the way she is':

"Well, *I* refuse to be treated so shabbily/talked to so condescendingly/enable her horrible behavior.  That's just the way *I* am."

Yes, I know what it's like to be blamed when you refuse to enable and accept the bad treatment "just to get along".  Sure, maybe it isn't so hard for one little thing.  But it's all of those little things that add up, and then you start to doubt yourself and feel like a real female dog for saying 'no, I won't put up with this crapola any longer' when everyone else is turning a blind eye to everything.  But, like a pp said, I eventually started asking myself 'would I want to be around her if she wasn't related to me?' and the answer was a resounding NO.  So why should an accident of DNA make me have to put up with whatever she chooses to dish out?

NotCinderell

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 11:23:33 AM »
I just want to say that I was in a very, very similar situation a few years ago, and you have my sympathies.  

My situation resolved itself, as my mother's boyfriend pressured her to get my sister out (he doesn't live with her, but he saw, rightly, that my sister was making enough money to support herself and at the ripe old age of 26, was more than ready to live on her own), so she did.  My sister stopped speaking to my mother shortly after that, for reasons that she has yet to articulate in a coherent manner to me, and I think it's because she's resentful that the gravy train came to an end.  

Before and immediately after my sister's moving out, my mother and I had a very strained rel@tionship, almost to the point of permanent estrangement.  She would often throw me out of her house when my sister started fights with me, because "we" couldn't get along, and she couldn't throw my sister out, because she lived there.  I was very resentful.  Of course, my sister took this as license to start fights, because she had nothing to lose from the situation and it would always work out in her favor (i.e., me getting thrown out)

Now, my mom and I are better.  I no longer speak to my sister anymore, either, after she told me that it was my fault that she had to check herself into a hospital for depression.  I wish her well, but I know that if I let her back into my life, she'll just resume using me as a human toilet again, and I just don't gain anything from that sort of interaction.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:25:17 AM by NotCinderell »

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 04:02:45 PM »
OP, Take care of yourself. Just because someone is a blood relation does not mean you have to take any abuse at all from that person. People will respect you for refusing to take abuse. (eventually)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 04:21:43 PM »
First of all, Danismom expressed very well how I felt about you "putting your mother in the middle."  Your mother has put herself there, but again Danismom is far more eloquent than I.

Second point is however, where does your mother draw the line?  Is your sister allowed to punch you, or only verbally abuse you?  Can she steal from you?  Is it only your sister who is allowed to mistreat you, or does any family member qualify?  Or can any person treat you poorly?

I am asking these because your mother needs to realize what she is demanding of you.  This is a very slippery slope she wants you to perch on.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 12:21:16 AM »
So, let me get this straight - you asking your mum to come over to your house is "putting her in the middle", but your sister attacking you verbally in front of your mother is "just the way she is?"

Exactly.  Mom and Sis are the ones who are putting Mom "in the middle."  Mom just sees it as easier to guilt the OP than Sis.  OP, I see your mom as being very responsible for the situation.  She *chooses* not to set limits with your sister because it's too much work.  Until she's ready to move past her denial and enabling, Sis is going to keep acting this way, because she hasn't been given a reason to change.

You may need to make this a little unpleasant for your Mom. Guilt *her* for a bit. Or simply leave it that you don't see it. It's too bad--I'm sure

I don't think Sis will change, and I don't think your mom is still responsible for your sister's nastiness. Your mom didn't create your sister all by herself, and your sister has had plenty of OTHER influences in her life that she could have used to make herself a better person.

I think your sister's nastiness is all her fault.  And that your mom can't "fix" her, and you shouldn't be pressuring your mother to do so. That *IS* "just the way she is"; grownups have to fix themselves. You can't change her, you can only change how you react.

You are doing it all right. Except that you are still expecting your mother to "fix" your sister, and that's unfair.

So simply say, "Mom, I'd like to see you. If you think about what it's like to hear Sis when I visit you, I think you will realize that it's unfair of you to ask that of me. You pressuring me to spend time around a nasty person is actually you putting *ME* in the middle. Come see me. Because you love me, and because you don't think I should have to be around someone speaking nastily to me, as the price of seeing my mommy."

Then, stick to your guns.