News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 30, 2016, 09:28:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 1082580 times)

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #6585 on: May 12, 2016, 12:48:42 AM »
....This is how I discovered my closet shelf is rotting and the smell is seeping out into anything that sat on the shelf. I'm going to be building a new shelf and I think I have to throw out the majority of what I had stored there. >:( (The cover, however, is fine - hand-washed it, put it through the dryer on low, it now smells delightful.)
The question becomes, what made that shelf rot?  Did it get wet?  How?  Is the roof?  Is there a broken pipe in the wall or above the ceiling?  You or your landlord need to investigate.  There may be even more repairs to be done.

We think the wood may have already been in bad condition when it was put in - it's a homemade shelf that wasn't even very well made. The roof and walls are fine, but the shelf has been painted over multiple times, and scraping some of the layers off made the smell worse so I believe it may have been painted repeatedly to hide the smell (don't ask me why it wasn't replaced; the man who owned this house before we bought it made several very questionable decisions re: plumbing, electricity and repairs. He should have been a don't-do-it-yourselfer.) Neither me nor my parents can find any signs of water damage anywhere else, and I'd be willing to bet the previous occupant never noticed because she was likely unable to reach the closet shelf to use it. (She was mostly wheelchair-bound and shorter than I am - I have to stand on a stool to reach the shelf.) I will, however, be taking some disinfectant and scrubbing the entire closet interior down just in case there was mold that spread.

Water leaks can only show in pinpoint areas where their path through the house structure hits an obstacle.  Sometimes that spot is nowhere near the entrance.  I'd probably cut a small square into the drywall where the shelf was after you remove it just to check for mold behind the drywall.

A friend of mine had mold show up in a closet because his shower tile's grout had become porous.

There actually is an existing hole there and everything seems fine. :) I plan on patching it when I get a new shelf in.
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

alkira6

« Reply #6586 on: May 12, 2016, 08:43:00 AM »
I have a rather expensive bit of Japanese merchandise - a body pillow cover based on a game series I adore. It's been in my closet for the past while as I had managed to sweat like a pig all over it and left a bit of a stain, and I didn't want to stain the rest. However, I seem to have the sweating issue mostly under control now and so got the cover out to use it again.

It reeked. It smelled like it had been thrown between two slabs of wet wood with a bunch of rotting vegetation to make a stinky sandwich.

This is how I discovered my closet shelf is rotting and the smell is seeping out into anything that sat on the shelf. I'm going to be building a new shelf and I think I have to throw out the majority of what I had stored there. >:( (The cover, however, is fine - hand-washed it, put it through the dryer on low, it now smells delightful.)

before you throw everything away, try drying the items out in the sun for a couple of days and then putting them in a plastic bag with baking soda.  I've had some success with that for moldy odors.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #6587 on: May 12, 2016, 09:55:17 AM »
I love it how a story about a squicky find turned into helpful tips and support.

This place is so cool y'all!😊😊😊
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Liliane

• My tumblr
« Reply #6588 on: May 12, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »
I have a rather expensive bit of Japanese merchandise - a body pillow cover based on a game series I adore. It's been in my closet for the past while as I had managed to sweat like a pig all over it and left a bit of a stain, and I didn't want to stain the rest. However, I seem to have the sweating issue mostly under control now and so got the cover out to use it again.

It reeked. It smelled like it had been thrown between two slabs of wet wood with a bunch of rotting vegetation to make a stinky sandwich.

This is how I discovered my closet shelf is rotting and the smell is seeping out into anything that sat on the shelf. I'm going to be building a new shelf and I think I have to throw out the majority of what I had stored there. >:( (The cover, however, is fine - hand-washed it, put it through the dryer on low, it now smells delightful.)

before you throw everything away, try drying the items out in the sun for a couple of days and then putting them in a plastic bag with baking soda.  I've had some success with that for moldy odors.

You know, I didn't even think of that. For the cloth items I'll give it a try. The rest is just the hang tags I've saved off my Giant Microbes collection and the old cat collars which can't be used anymore so I'm not too worried about those. :)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #6589 on: May 12, 2016, 09:35:07 PM »
For those of you who like zit popping, the show "Deadliest Catch" had some "home surgery" last week when one of the fishermen had a huge cyst behind his ear.  ☺

The camera cheerfully panned  between shots of goo and fishermen chowing down while they watched the profeedings. 😀
If you missed it, it's available on Youtube.

A follow up to the episode recommended the YouTube clip "Operation Kill George". I watched. It was...impressive.😯
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6590 on: May 14, 2016, 10:04:18 PM »
A few months ago I had a severe allergic reaction and my tongue swelled. As a result,  I bit near the back of my tongue causing a tongue tag to form (think skin tag, but on your tongue). It was checked out by both the doctor and dentist, but neither one would cut the dang thing off. It's been rubbing on my second to last bottom molar for at least 4 months. I was told it would probably fall off on its own.  It wasn't hurting, but was irritating the bejesus out of me.

Today, I finally had had enough and cut the blasted thing off myself. I brushed my teeth well, rinsed with listerine, and used a clean sterilized pair of cuticle scissors. It took one snip. I rinsed again with listerine,  then salt water.

Oh, the relief!
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #6591 on: Yesterday at 07:37:46 PM »
Back story...

DF, around 10 or 11 years ago developed a cyst in his groin area at became very infected, and full of gangrene. It did not open on it's own, and the surgeon told me that DF was with in a few hours of dying, it was that bad. He was in the hospital for at least a week, if I remember correctly, put on some seriously strong IV antibiotics, to clear up the infection. He also had an incision hat was about 8" long, started right by his sac and went to his anus. It was ugly, angry and left opened to heal on it's own, but was packed every day.  I teased him about his new vagina and now he knows what it's like to have a period. His dr at the time said it was something very common in diabetics, and 2 keep an eye out, it can happen again.

It had infected and opened up and drained on it's own. It's really kind of nasty, but I take it in stride, and it's never been as bad as it was the first time. Tuesday he stayed home from work because he wasn't feeling well. Tells me not to panic but because of how he felt, thought the cyst might be back. He took a hot bath and had me check to see if I could see or feel anything, afterwards. There was a small lump, but at the time it wasn't leaking. Around 8 that night, it opened, he wanted me to see if I could get anything out. (YEEEEHAWW!!!) So he lays down, I go wash my hands, and got a couple of wash cloths. I'm fighting my own open wounds, I really did not want to be infected again. I start lightly squeezing, only way to squeeze in this area. Black nasty stuff was squirting out, and I quickly realized 2 wash clothes were not going to be enough.

Grabbed a handful of wash clothes, got them wet and skipped (not really) back to the bedroom. I opened the wash cloth and held it in my cupped hand while I squeezed this thing again. A golf ball sized wad of black smelly nastiness shot out of the cyst into my hand. Oh dear lord, the smell. I was standing back because I didn't want to be squirted in the face. A couple more squeezes and it was all out, but no more shooting out like it did.

He told me it's draining, but mostly blood and clear fluid. I told him I'd look at it after our granddaughter left, but he said not to worry about it.

mamakinz

« Reply #6592 on: Yesterday at 08:56:26 PM »
Yay - I finally have my own entry for this thread 😷 -- this past Thursday, DH got up early to open up our trailer so I could make the beds and pack it for our first camping weekend for the year ( it's Memorial day weekend here in the states). I was still in bed when he texted me that I should come outside "now".  So I got out of bed tossed on shoes and went outside to see his discovery that mice had moved in to the trailer over the winter and had gotten very comfortable!!  There were multiple nests and the floor was covered in mouse droppings. The gross part -- the canvas over our bed was crusted and wet with mouse droppings!!!!!!!  It took me all day Thursday to clean and sanitize the trailer.  I ended up a petsmart getting pet odor eliminator to get rid of the last bit of smell. 

I actually wore gloves to do the cleaning -- and got lots of use out of our wet/dry vaccum -- spray the canvas with cleaner, suck it out with the vaccum, repeat three or four times with awning cleaner and then once with the pet odor cleaner.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #6593 on: Today at 03:16:26 AM »
Mamakinz's post reminds me: must buy new mattress for sofa-bed... >:(

Most things I could clean*, but the thought of putting guests on a slightly-munched mattress was a step too far, and it got tossed in the barn until we do a tip run; blasted critters!

* We are sleeping under a slightly-scratched duvet, but's that's washable [in our lovely, huge, new machine], and I have a lightly-gnawed duvet cover in my "to-do" pile, so I'm not being "princessy".  ;D  [I'm hoping to steal a flower from the spare pillowcase and appliqué it over the hole, but I need to get the sewing machine serviced first.]
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Liliane

• My tumblr
« Reply #6594 on: Today at 12:26:32 PM »
Parents and I have changed our diets a bit - we're trying to eat better, in part due to a fairly recent medical issue for my mum, and in part because it's really not doing any of us any good to fill up on junk.

I am healthier. My...er...waste products, on the other hand, are decidedly not. ::) If anyone's heard of the rather unfortunate effect of some diet pills - the effect of, shall we say, producing lots of orange oily stuff out their rear end - I am having that. Only without the pills. And it is extremely smelly.

(I do have an appointment to discuss this, amongst other things, with my gastroenterologist. In the meantime I'm going to whinge! ;D)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6595 on: Today at 08:35:39 PM »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah