News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 23, 2016, 08:48:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart  (Read 1125993 times)

alkira6

Re: Gross out-- Not for the faint of heart
« Reply #6630 on: July 05, 2016, 06:51:20 PM »
I managed to fight off a squash bug infestation in my squash and zucchini beds, but now I have to deal with squash borers . The larvae eat through the squishy part of the stem and kill the plant . The gross part is how disgusting these little larvae are , all white with a little tiny dot of a blackhead. They are also very slimy.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #6631 on: July 11, 2016, 10:36:40 AM »

That was the moment when I finally believed that most breast tissue is fat (unless one is nursing).  I wanted cleavage, and finally when I got it, I also had belly/bum, and no longer fancied fitted tops.  :(

I was what you call a late bloomer but always thought it was due to weight gain too. However, I'm not so sure since i've lost close to 30 lbs, and while many of my friends in teh same boat found their chest got smaller, mine did not. But mine too, as I discovered after my recent mammograms, are very dense, so I'm guessing less fat to lose, and more other stuff, so they pretty much stayed the same size.

Chez Miriam

« Reply #6632 on: July 11, 2016, 11:02:21 AM »

That was the moment when I finally believed that most breast tissue is fat (unless one is nursing).  I wanted cleavage, and finally when I got it, I also had belly/bum, and no longer fancied fitted tops.  :(

I was what you call a late bloomer but always thought it was due to weight gain too. However, I'm not so sure since i've lost close to 30 lbs, and while many of my friends in teh same boat found their chest got smaller, mine did not. But mine too, as I discovered after my recent mammograms, are very dense, so I'm guessing less fat to lose, and more other stuff, so they pretty much stayed the same size.

Thanks for posting that siamesecat2965, I love having the hope I could shift the belly fat without losing the chest!
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #6633 on: July 15, 2016, 09:21:48 PM »
It's been a while since I was sick. I currently have a slip and slide of snot running from nasal cavities to the back of my throat and into my chest.

Current defensive tactics are decongestant, allergy tablets and spiked coffee.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6634 on: July 15, 2016, 10:51:44 PM »
Friend recently had jaw surgery, and is recovering, but fighting off a bit of an infection. DH & I were at dinner with Friend and his GF when we heard an "oh poopadities" something that looked like runny refried beans started dripping from his jaw to his shirt. At first, I thought it was refried beans - jaw surgery is not entirely conducive to mess-free eating - but nope. It was pus. The infection had bust through a spot in the sutures and he was leaking a really rather impressive stream of slightly bloody pus.

Turns out the doc had been expecting this, but had forgotten to warn them. They took off for supplies & to head home, and DH & I finished our food and got go-boxes for theirs, then ran it over to them.

Is it bad that I wasn't even the least queasy over a stream of pus at the dinner table?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

« Reply #6635 on: July 16, 2016, 08:39:45 AM »
Friend recently had jaw surgery, and is recovering, but fighting off a bit of an infection. DH & I were at dinner with Friend and his GF when we heard an "oh poopadities" something that looked like runny refried beans started dripping from his jaw to his shirt. At first, I thought it was refried beans - jaw surgery is not entirely conducive to mess-free eating - but nope. It was pus. The infection had bust through a spot in the sutures and he was leaking a really rather impressive stream of slightly bloody pus.

Turns out the doc had been expecting this, but had forgotten to warn them. They took off for supplies & to head home, and DH & I finished our food and got go-boxes for theirs, then ran it over to them.

Is it bad that I wasn't even the least queasy over a stream of pus at the dinner table?

No. I would not have been either.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Carotte

« Reply #6636 on: July 21, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »
I found a little bird dead in my backyard (not that I looked too close but I don't think it was the local cats), is it weird that I kinda want to have the body cleaned so that I can keep the skull?
I have no idea what you're supposed to do with a dead "wild" animal and if you can put them in the regular trash, so I burried it and marked the place for future reference. I wonder how long untill only the bones are left.

ladyknight1

« Reply #6637 on: July 21, 2016, 12:55:00 PM »
It will depend on ambient temperature and the ground temperature.

Something decomposes on ground eight times faster than something buried. Submersion is twice as fast as something buried.
-J.R.R Tolkien

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6638 on: July 21, 2016, 01:43:57 PM »
It will depend on ambient temperature and the ground temperature.

Something decomposes on ground eight times faster than something buried. Submersion is twice as fast as something buried.

I think I mentioned this before, up thread...

My Dad was a school teacher, with a focus on science.  He kept all sorts of weird and wonderful things.  A snapping turtle shell, various birds nests, etc.  If an animal was found - or someone brought it to him to be stuffed because he was also a taxidermist in his spare time - he'd put it in a little wire cage and chain it to a tree in the bush behind our house.  The various predators from small rodents down to insects would strip the bones bare in pretty short order and then Dad would have a nice clean specimen for his classroom.

This is also the man who took a lot of his old mounts that were starting to look a little worse for wear, torched them and set up a display for forest fire prevention week!

He was a very popular teacher...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario