News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 03, 2016, 11:43:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 295723 times)

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #1560 on: April 19, 2016, 03:03:18 PM »
New neighbors' little boy (maybe 4?) was outside playing with his sister and a neighbor kid. I have no idea of the context but suddenly I heard him say, "Ugh! Do I have to take my pants off now?"
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1561 on: April 19, 2016, 08:37:56 PM »
I gave Bittybartfast (3.5) peanut butter on a spork today. Mostly because I hate trying to get peanut butter off our regular spoons when I wash them and I had a leftover KFC plastic spork sitting on the counter we never used :P

Anyway, the existence of a spork just blew. her. mind. Full-on toddler existential crisis. She followed me around whining "Forks are not spoons! Forks are not spoons!" for a good five minutes. There were actual tears. (Didn't stop her from eating her peanut butter, though!) By the end she seemed to accept that sporks are okay if there's peanut butter on them, but I suspect she's going to very pointedly ask for a REAL spoon next time  ::)

crella

« Reply #1562 on: April 20, 2016, 05:09:15 AM »
She's too cute!

Elisabunny

« Reply #1563 on: April 21, 2016, 11:32:49 AM »
I gave Bittybartfast (3.5) peanut butter on a spork today. Mostly because I hate trying to get peanut butter off our regular spoons when I wash them and I had a leftover KFC plastic spork sitting on the counter we never used :P

Anyway, the existence of a spork just blew. her. mind. Full-on toddler existential crisis. She followed me around whining "Forks are not spoons! Forks are not spoons!" for a good five minutes. There were actual tears. (Didn't stop her from eating her peanut butter, though!) By the end she seemed to accept that sporks are okay if there's peanut butter on them, but I suspect she's going to very pointedly ask for a REAL spoon next time  ::)

In contrast, the first time MiddleDD saw a spork, she thought it was the Best Thing Ever.  Kids are strange.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1564 on: April 21, 2016, 09:18:59 PM »
I teach a writing class, and the program that we use has this concept of "banned words."  Every few lessons, they'll give you a new word that is banned and you aren't allowed to use it in your writing.  They'll go over a number of potential alternative words.  For example, they might ban "eat," and suggest "munched," "chewed," "gnawed," "devoured," "nibbled," etc.  The idea isn't that there's anything wrong with using the word "eat" in real writing, but they want kids to practice using more specific, meaningful words instead of that particular one.

So a couple of weeks ago, the kids had the option to write their own version of a fairytale, Bible story, whatever.  One girl chose to do the creation story from the Bible.  In her rough draft, though, she used a banned word, "said."  I circled it and wrote "banned" above it, so she'd remember that it was a banned word and go look up alternative choices.

This week I read the kids' final copies of their stories.  Hers included the line, "And God banned, 'Let there be light!' and there was."  It took me a minute to figure out what was going on, then I had trouble keeping a straight face.
Emily is 9 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 7 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 5 years old!  8/10
Megan is 3 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 1 year old!  12/14

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1565 on: April 23, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »
A kid on the bus yesterday was asking his mom about an activity. He said the usual kid logic of "we never do X!" She said they had done it lots of times last year. He said "But that was when I was eleven. I'm twelve! I'm a different person now!" in the most serious tone ever.

I had to look out the window to keep from laughing.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

lilfox

« Reply #1566 on: Yesterday at 03:28:07 PM »
DD (6) was complaining that she had no good shorts to wear to a classmate's party.  She was standing over a pile of maybe 10 perfectly fine options.  I pointed to one floral print pair, she picked them up, and with the most disgusted voice said, "No, these are too cute!"

Also pants-related - DS (2.5) pulled out a pair of pants for daycare and kept calling them his "disgusting pants."  I believe it's because the last time he wore them, he went puddle jumping and got them all muddy and the person who changed him must have called them disgusting.  Also a bad omen - that afternoon when I went to get him from daycare, he had just had a blowout.  Ugh.