News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 14, 2016, 09:21:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O misheard lyrics: Misheard in conversation  (Read 6162 times)

Shishimai

Re: S/O misheard lyrics: Misheard in conversation
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 02:19:23 PM »
Oh, I had a good one the other day. I was chatting on the phone with my Mom.

Me: I'm going to stop and get some Cheetos.

Mom: CHEMO!?

Me: No, cheesy snacks!

becktheriddler

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 03:55:14 PM »
I am totally stealing this from my sister. She was in high school, sitting around with some friends and one asked:
"Did you watch "The Buccaneer" last night?"
Another friend retorted "WHAT?!?!?!?!?" So she repeated her question. Friend 2 started laughing. She thought Friend 1 had asked "Did you wash your f*****g ear last night?"
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:57:44 PM by becktheriddler »
By Grabthar's Hammer...what a savings!

Stranger

• diligo ergo sum
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2016, 09:52:16 PM »
Oh, I have doozy!It is also quite situational, so i will include back story.

We used to live in South Africa. There is a very, very bad word some people used to refer to black people (sounds worse than the Nword to my ears) and this is a word we *never, ever, ever* used. It is not a word my children knew, or would have known about.

One day, my 3 and 1 year old were helping our gardener sow some flower seeds. They are happily chatting to Uncle Simon about the "kaffertjies" (bad word for infant person of colour) and Simon is laughing his head off. (I am so thankful that he had the grace to laugh). My children were referring to Kappertjies, or as it's known to English speaking people :"nasturtiums"

Talk about a very uncomfortable moment!

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 10:27:21 PM »
Oh, I have doozy!It is also quite situational, so i will include back story.

We used to live in South Africa. There is a very, very bad word some people used to refer to black people (sounds worse than the Nword to my ears) and this is a word we *never, ever, ever* used. It is not a word my children knew, or would have known about.

One day, my 3 and 1 year old were helping our gardener sow some flower seeds. They are happily chatting to Uncle Simon about the "kaffertjies" (bad word for infant person of colour) and Simon is laughing his head off. (I am so thankful that he had the grace to laugh). My children were referring to Kappertjies, or as it's known to English speaking people :"nasturtiums"

Talk about a very uncomfortable moment!
It's even more awkward that there are plants that have the K word in their names (one more politely called a Lucky Bean Tree).

And on a sliding scale of badness, the K-word does sound worse than the N-word, because to a certain extent the N-word has been reclaimed by African-American gangster culture to be a more positive word in certain contexts. That hasn't happened with the K-word, it is universally an awful word.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:29:19 PM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 08:06:37 AM »
Years ago, my brother and I were kind of wrestling on the floor, just being goofs.  And then we got this brilliant idea to tie my mother's shoelaces together.

As we were attempting this, she managed to feel us and kicked out her feet, saying, 'Muck off'.  You can imagine what my brother and I thought she said.  She never used that word so, in unison, we asked, 'What did you say?'  And she repeated herself.

Though we still aren't convinced that the first one really was 'muck'.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Twik

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2016, 08:56:01 AM »
I think I've told this before, but it was so deliciously funny that I was the only one understanding both sides of the conversation.

My teenage brother announced he was going fishing.

Mom: I don't want you down at the pond all by yourself, It's not safe.

Brother: It's OK, I'm taking someone with me.

Mom: Who?

Brother: Hugh.

Mom: I can't go, I have things to do.

Brother (rolling eyes): I didn't ask you to come.

Mom: Then who are you going with?

Brother: HUGH!

Mom: But I told you, I can't go!

Brother (not understanding why his mother thinks he wants her on his fishing trip): I'm not going with YOU, I'm going with HUGH!

Me: Who's on first, anyway?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."