News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 26, 2017, 04:31:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Telling on myself  (Read 443 times)

Lulubelle

Telling on myself
« on: June 05, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »
I was looking over DD's summer reading list and saw Shades of Gray listed.  I had a :o moment before I realized that it wasn't Fifty Shades of Grey.  I bet DD that at least one kid's mom was going to get the vapors over that one.   ;D
Now it's your turn.  Have you had a silly moment recently?

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: Telling on myself
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 03:22:15 PM »
I have to put in historical perspective when reading place and people names. Not all the names associated with atrocities or negative stereotypes now had the same cache decades ago.

People names:
Damien
Judas
Lilith
Adolf

Place names:
Newgate Prison
The Tower of London
Charing Cross
Proctor's Ledge
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

jpcher

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:22:10 PM »
I was looking over DD's summer reading list and saw Shades of Gray listed.  I had a :o moment before I realized that it wasn't Fifty Shades of Grey.  I bet DD that at least one kid's mom was going to get the vapors over that one.   ;D

I had that :o moment! I thought Shades of Gray was one of the sequels!

Yeah, I goggled it. ;)

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:59:43 PM »
This reminds me of the time my oldest who was not a teenager yet requested the Twilight book from the library.

Warriors: The New Prophecy #5: Twilight by Erin Hunter

much more appropriate for her age. 

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Twik

« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:04:33 AM »

Worse, I suspect at least one parent will buy 50 SoG for the child thinking it's SoG.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hmmmmm

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:55:08 AM »
Not literary related but this came up last week with my DH and he jokingly implied I should never repeat to anyone else.

Major university in our state is in a town called College Station which is basically across the road from a town called Bryan and most often they are referred to as Bryan/College Station.

Now, passenger train travel has never been a major thing in our state since way before I was born. DH and I were discussing the possibility of a new passenger train system and I said it would be good if instead of just an express train between the 2 major cities that they'd have more regional stops like how nice it would be to have one between our city and College Station. DH said "We'll they've already got  station there." I pondered his comment for a moment and then laughed as the light bulb went off about why College "Station" was called that. I think I had always just thought it was a play on the Australian use of "Station" for large land holding. I mean the college was founded as a agricultural college.