Author Topic: Oh no ... Nieces have joined a MLM  (Read 6334 times)

audrey1962

Re: Oh no ... Nieces have joined a MLM
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 02:16:10 PM »
I agree with those who said NOT to buy anything. This is based on my experience and feelings with MLM's.

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »
Heh.  I'll bet they want you to become a rep.  That's the only way to make real money with that particular pyramid.

If you don't want to be too blunt, I'd just keep saying "I'm sorry; I'm not in the market for ____ right now."

Well... *I* probably wouldn't say it like that.  I'd probably launch into the story of my BIL and end with "and THAT'S why I refuse to buy from MLMs ever."  I have pretty strong opinions, though.  ;)

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »
I agree with those who have said be polite, but don't order anything if you're not comfortable with the nature of the company (I'm not sure what this company is in particular).  It will just encourage them, and every little bit of $$$ they make from it means it will take longer for them to realize it's a crock. 

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 08:22:51 PM »
Folks, while some posters may have had some bad experiences (mostly I suspect it's mostly 3rd hand info posted here) slandering an entire industry and millions of decent people who are involved is so not polite.

Can we keep comments related to how to be polite while telling a family member they don't want to do business with them?

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 10:54:01 AM »
I don't agree, I think you're being too sensitive. I don't see anyone being disrespected or slandered. People are relating their experiences and stories about such businesses, and the OP is relating one that happens to be negative.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 12:44:26 PM »
I don't agree, I think you're being too sensitive. I don't see anyone being disrespected or slandered. People are relating their experiences and stories about such businesses, and the OP is relating one that happens to be negative.
I don't know if there is anything more dismissive than telling someone they are being "too sensitive".  I'm not a member of an mlm, nevertheless I stand by my comments. This is not a place to relay bad business experiences, generalizations, and hearsay:

"That's the way these MLMs work, people give a little to make them go away but it has the opposite affect!"
"Just the realization of MLM combined with the nieces, made me want to stick my hand in the blender."
"Having seen personally how an MLM can wreck someone's life"  (I've seen the same of churches, marriage, starting any business, etc.)
"realize it's a crock."
"It breaks my heart to see that people still fall for these MLM schemes."
"so it must have gone the way of all stupid, greedy decisions."

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 12:48:05 PM »
Hanna, the *reason* for not wanting to do business with a family member is just as important as the "how to be polite about telling them" aspect.

Knowing about these things (MLM's) means being prepared for the inevitable argument that will occur.  There is a very good reason people are making the statements they are making. 

Surianne

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Hanna, the *reason* for not wanting to do business with a family member is just as important as the "how to be polite about telling them" aspect.

Knowing about these things (MLM's) means being prepared for the inevitable argument that will occur.  There is a very good reason people are making the statements they are making. 

I completely agree.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 01:03:02 PM »

I completely agree.
Only for someone that doesn't know how to say no in a convincing manner and mean it.
It's not really that difficult.  Trust me, I do it regularly.

It's not necessary to come here and denigrate people's business and lifestyle choices.
There's a very good reason plenty of people don't go to church, too.  But we don't get into that here, do we?
Why not?  Because it isn't polite. 

Surianne

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 01:07:45 PM »

I completely agree.
Only for someone that doesn't know how to say no in a convincing manner and mean it.
It's not really that difficult.  Trust me, I do it regularly.

It depends on the people you're dealing with, really.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 01:36:55 PM »

ITA. Hanna, I think you and the rest of us who feel differently are going to have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.