Author Topic: Yet another salary requirements question  (Read 1115 times)

Linley

• My life is not a democracy, YOU do not get a vote.
Yet another salary requirements question
« on: August 10, 2010, 05:40:24 PM »
I usually answer the salary requirements question with "flexible, depending on overall benefits package" or some variation thereof. However, my latest application has found a new way to thwart me. It is an online (only) application and has question that asks the base salary I require and gives ranges, i.e. less than 50,000, 55,000-60,000, 60,000-65,000...none of the above. The fact that there is a gap between the first two options is not a mistake on my part, that is how it is given.

So, given that I don't want to low-ball myself, should I pick a higher bracket than the actual answer to give negotiation room? Should I choose 'none of the above'? (I don't want to imply either that my requirement is above the last answer or that it is in the gap between the first two options).

I have seen questions that have a gap that only takes numbers, I generally leave those blank, but I have never seen a question in this form before and answering it is not optional.

I'm the kid who has this habit of dreaming
Sometimes gets me in trouble too
But the truth is I could no more stop dreaming
Than I could make them all come true.

-Cry, Cry, Cry- "The Kid"

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Re: Yet another salary requirements question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 06:21:38 PM »
the thing I hate about these (and it's poorly written) is that it's elimination criteria.  Someone, somewhere, has a database query that says "give me all the applications that answered 50k/have at least x level of education" so it's basically elimnation criteria.

I'm a big proponent of not answering these kinds of things, but you have to be willin to take that chance.

If you answer, then yes, answer a bit above your range, unless you want the job so badly you'll do it for less.   
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Linley

• My life is not a democracy, YOU do not get a vote.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:30:46 PM »
the thing I hate about these (and it's poorly written) is that it's elimination criteria.  Someone, somewhere, has a database query that says "give me all the applications that answered 50k/have at least x level of education" so it's basically elimnation criteria.

Exactly. I seems that picking a range holds a very, very high probability that I will either price myself out or lock myself into a lower amount than I might otherwise get.

My first instinct was not to answer (choose none of the above) and hopefully discuss/clarify later if there is an interview but I do fear knocking myself right out as uncooperative.

I'm the kid who has this habit of dreaming
Sometimes gets me in trouble too
But the truth is I could no more stop dreaming
Than I could make them all come true.

-Cry, Cry, Cry- "The Kid"

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Maybe assume they have average benefits and answer accordingly.  If you find out in the negotiating process their benefits are bad, negotiate for more.