Author Topic: Dropping off a resume - weird?  (Read 2727 times)

Maujer

Dropping off a resume - weird?
« on: August 10, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »
I applied to a job via e-mail this morning. I usually like to mail a hard copy of my resume and cover letter to the company as well. This company happens to be in a nearby town and I could just as easily stop by tomorrow and drop off the resume in person. It's a small internet start-up company with an office in a new building in town.

At my previous job, this would have been fine. We had plenty of people drop by with their resumes. If there was a manager available, they would come down, take the resume from the applicant and chat with them for a few minutes. We actually liked it because we could get an idea of what the person was like before we called them in for an actual interview.

However, I worked at a retail store so we had more of a public "face" than most companies. Would you recommend against doing this?

kareng57

• Super Hero!
Re: Dropping off a resume - weird?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 11:34:18 PM »
I'd say that it depends on how the company requested resumes to be sent.  If they requested fax or email - and you instead dropped off a "live" resume - then they could conclude that you're a person who can't, or doesn't want to follow, directions.  I see now that you did both, however the hard-copy resume might not have earned you extra points.

I agree that it could have been convenient if you were passing right by there anyway, and/or wanted to have a "live" look at the work environment before an interview.  However, I don't know whether it would have given you additional brownie-points - probably you can only wait and see.

I think a retail environment is a bit different - there tends to be more turnover, and if the manager is available she certainly might want to talk to applicants right then and there.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 05:27:50 AM »
if they asked you to email it, then email it. It *used to* be the norm to do both - email/fax and then follow up with a mailed hard copy. I don't see this done any more - there really is no reason for it (again, unless it is specifically asked for).

I *wouldn't* go in and drop it off. i know that if you would do this in *my* office - at best it would annoy us and at worst it would be held against you.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:26:51 AM »
Besides being looked at as being odd, with all of the security in place nowadays you'd either be dropping it off to the security guard or receptionist.  You may as well mail it and get it to the correct person.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 08:49:36 AM »
It would be looked at as odd.  It's an internet start-up company - they're going to expect resumes via email.  There is no reason to mail or drop off a copy.  It looks a bit desperate and/or high school-ish to drop off a resume (days of going to mall stores & picking up applications to fill them out in the food court & take them back), and it interrupts their work day.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:07:01 AM »
It would be looked at as odd.  It's an internet start-up company - they're going to expect resumes via email.

Uh-huh! As others have stated you should always follow the request avenue. But when we are talking technology companies, they are not going to want a hard copy. I work in the IT field and we toss hard copy resumes... too much hassle.

Now, if you were looking for work in other fields, it may be more of the norm to do it in person. But I do think those days are coming to an end.

Maujer

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 10:25:11 AM »
I think a few of you missed that I already e-mailed a copy. I would never disobey a job description's instructions.

In the last city I worked in, following up with a hard copy was still pretty common but I can see that's not the case anymore in other areas. Usually I only do it for jobs where the description mentions assisting someone specifically - for example, I applied to a job at a college assisting the chair of a department. My friend, who's a chair of a department at another college, suggested sending a hard copy of my resume to the chair directly after I submitted my application to the college's HR department electronically.

Anyway, I thought it was weird so I won't stop by. Thanks!