General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Steven Slater - Retaliatory rudeness?

(1/15) > >>

Oscar1:
For anyone who's not heard the story of this air steward's dramatic resignation, just Google his name.

He's being hailed as a hero in some quarters and I certainly have some sympathy with him but, in etiquette terms, his behaviour was inexcusable. A classic case of responding to rudeness with rudeness.

Ceallach:
Straightforward case of retaliatory rudeness, IMHO.  Part of the reason retaliatory rudeness is so bad is that it inevitably inflicts discomfort upon innocent bystanders, and in this situation that is more so than ever.  I can't imagine what all of those other poor passengers thought when the flight attendant began swearing over the PA system.  Regardless of how rude a particular passenger had been or even if he'd had dozens of them be rude to him, his behaviour was completely inappropriate. 

Akarui Kibuno:
Had he just used the thingies to get off the planes, I would have thought simply clueless.

The swearing, however, puts this into Super Speshul Snowflake Territory. Not saying his job isn't hard, but there are millions of people who might do a harder job than he does and that doesn't give them a free pass to swear at all the people who annoys them  ::)

kingsrings:
I'm ashamed to admit that I found humor in this situation. And I still kind of do.  :-[

But taking away that and really looking at it, of course what he did was not okay. There were better ways to handle the problem other than having a breakdown like he did. He also could of endangered people with setting off the emergency chute like he did. Airline officials said if workers had been in the area where it deployed, they would of been killed.

Akarui Kibuno:

--- Quote from: kingsrings on August 11, 2010, 11:15:56 AM ---I'm ashamed to admit that I found humor in this situation. And I still kind of do.  :-[

But taking away that and really looking at it, of course what he did was not okay. There were better ways to handle the problem other than having a breakdown like he did. He also could of endangered people with setting off the emergency chute like he did. Airline officials said if workers had been in the area where it deployed, they would of been killed.

--- End quote ---

Worst thing is, I did find the humor in it too, and then I did just like you and came back to reality pretty quick :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version