Author Topic: Steven Slater - Retaliatory rudeness?  (Read 5609 times)

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
Re: Steven Slater - Retaliatory rudeness?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 12:14:21 AM »
I'm not going to judge someone for their reaction to being assualted at work.
No clue how most people would respond in those circumstances.

Miss Charlotte

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 12:18:27 AM »
I don't think this is a case of retaliatory rudeness, I think this is a case of a man under enormous pressure having a breakdown.
I feel really bad for him.
"Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop." Gittel Hudnick

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 12:25:12 AM »
I'm not going to judge someone for their reaction to being assualted at work.

I think mature adults call the police. They dont turn around and endanger other people's lives, subject them to profanity, nor run away from the situation. 

So yep, I judge him. Harshly.  I understand it.  But that doesnt make it right.
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
I'm not going to judge someone for their reaction to being assaulted at work.
If it were a brief loss of temper - such as he snapped at her angrily, I'd agree with you.

But this lasted quite sometime and targeted people who did not assault him. I do not see this as a visceral reaction to being assaulted, it's a temper tantrum.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 08:53:50 AM »
They were saying on the radio that the passenger also made a fuss while getting on the flight & arguing with another passenger about overhead bin space.

A bit off topic, but did anyone see Jimmy Fallon's "Ballad of Steven Slater" (aka Take 2 Beers and Jump)?  I can't get that song out of my head...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 10:08:58 AM »
I honestly don't see why he is an "American Hero."

All I see is a boor who took his feelings out on a bunch of innocent people.

The woman shouldn't have hit him, she should not have cursed at him, etc. I am not excusing that.

But, he did that and more. She is not the villian and he the hero.

She is a woman who did something wrong, he is a man who did something worse when there were many, many, many other recourses for him, including having the woman arrested.

Honestly, it kind of disappoints and embarasses me that he is being touted as a "hero." There are plenty of heroes in America. He is not one of them. He is a man who gave into primitive feeling and committed uncouth and selfish actions by lashing out at those around him. Sure we fantasize about telling our bosses off; we fantasize about quiting in a dramatic, theatrical fashion. But it is the person who does so with grace and decorum that is the hero. It is the person who does so without inflicting their aggressions on others that is the hero.

But, I'm in a bad mood, so that could be a reason this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  :)

POD to this.  His childish and illegal actions caused serious issues and delays for both the airline (chutes cost about $30,000 and planes can be out of commission for *days* while it's replaced and packed) and the passengers (as they all had to be rebooked).  I don't care that his mom has cancer, that the passenger verbally abused him, any of that.  He is still responsible for his own actions, and those actions were criminal. 

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 10:09:26 AM »

Are you kidding?  I would have PAID to get on that flight! (Okay, well you pay for your ticket, but I would have paid more.)  When are you ever going to get that type of show again?    ;)

In case anyone couldn't tell, I completely agree with MyFamily as well.  I cannot BELIEVE they gave that woman who started this $100 voucher as well!  Whether the overhead bin hit him intentionally or not, it WAS intentional because she was not supposed to be out of her seat at all.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 11:03:28 AM »
Show, huh? Well, I was on a flight once where a woman smoked in the bathroom (this was right after 9/11, really smart move on her part). Ironically, right before this happened, I was bored out of my mind and complaining to my seatmate how bored I was. This woman cured that pretty quick  ::)

I do believe Mr. Slater snapped and had a nervous breakdown from all the stress he was under. I have empathy and sympathy for him in that regard, although he handled it the wrong way.

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 11:06:45 AM »
I haven't been able to find if had a slight concussion or not.  That can make you do odd things.

KaosP

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 11:49:18 AM »
I honestly don't see why he is an "American Hero."

The woman shouldn't have hit him, she should not have cursed at him, etc. I am not excusing that.

But, he did that and more. She is not the villian and he the hero.

She is a woman who did something wrong, he is a man who did something worse when there were many, many, many other recourses for him, including having the woman arrested.

Honestly, it kind of disappoints and embarasses me that he is being touted as a "hero." There are plenty of heroes in America. He is not one of them. He is a man who gave into primitive feeling and committed uncouth and selfish actions by lashing out at those around him. Sure we fantasize about telling our bosses off; we fantasize about quiting in a dramatic, theatrical fashion. But it is the person who does so with grace and decorum that is the hero. It is the person who does so without inflicting their aggressions on others that is the hero.

But, I'm in a bad mood, so that could be a reason this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  :)

POD to this. It makes my skin crawl that there's a Facebook page honouring his rude behaviour.

Yes, I feel sorry for him (in light of his mother's sickness, etc.) but perhaps if he's under that much stress he shouldn't be working?!? Because yes, it's a difficult CSR job, but he's also in charge of people's lives!!

I also hope the rude lady isn't getting self-satisfaction over this, I hope she understands how inappropriate her behaviour was.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »

Are you kidding?  I would have PAID to get on that flight! (Okay, well you pay for your ticket, but I would have paid more.)  When are you ever going to get that type of show again?    ;)

And if I were on that flight, I would have been horrified and frightened at his behavior. Moreso, I would be extremely upset that someone so unstable was someone we were supposed to be able to rely on in an emergency.

I really do not think there is an excuse for his behavior.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 02:17:03 PM »
Since he had 28 years at the job, presumably as a good employee since he was on 2 special committees, I'd forgive up to the point he deployed the slide.  As he is trained in safety, He KNOWS BETTER to deploy the slide, even if he was having a mini-breakdown.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 02:49:58 PM »
Now the passengers are speaking up. According to them, he was rude right from the start of the flight. Snapping at them, refusing requests, and constantly slamming overhead bins and the galley fridge door.

Hillia

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2010, 03:00:34 PM »
Now the passengers are speaking up. According to them, he was rude right from the start of the flight. Snapping at them, refusing requests, and constantly slamming overhead bins and the galley fridge door.

Which is possible, but sounds very odd, given that he's been described by other FAs as great to work with, very professional, etc.  Some articles have described him as being 'high on Blue juice' - company slang for someone who is really enthusiastic and dedicated to teh company.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »

I saw a passenger on one of the CNN shows, and she said that her interactions with him were very pleasant and friendly.