Author Topic: Steven Slater - Retaliatory rudeness?  (Read 6033 times)

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
Re: Steven Slater - Retaliatory rudeness?
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2010, 02:37:48 AM »
An Anonymous Flight Attendant's Take On Jet Blue Folk Hero Steven Slater. Note the comment about the danger with deploying that slide. He could have killed someone. Also, note the comment about the female passenger who clocked the Steven Slater with her bag. She violated federal law. Why is she being given a $100 voucher? Why don't we know who she is?

Yes, Steven Slater was rude. I don't think he is a folk hero, but I can sympathize with someone getting fed up by mistreatment. Some companies really do take, "the customer is always right," too far.

MyFamily

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2010, 07:49:45 AM »
I cannot remember where I read this, but he did check to make sure that there was no one there before he deployed the slide.  I'm not saying he was ok to do it, but it wasn't done without any regard to the safety of others.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2010, 07:54:34 AM »
As far as I know, airlines take federal air regulations very, very seriously. If he was fed up with mistreatment, he definitely had options, especially if the physical assault is true. I am very surprised she hasn't been charged with anything. If she got $100 voucher, that's extremely wrong.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Alex the Seal

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2010, 09:39:01 AM »
Some companies really do take, "the customer is always right," too far.

Exactly. He wasn't "right" either, but I do hope this kind of incident will make companies wake up and re-examine the level of unnecessary stress to which they allow their employees to be subjected.

I do believe Mr. Slater snapped and had a nervous breakdown from all the stress he was under. I have empathy and sympathy for him in that regard, although he handled it the wrong way.

Yes, although I'm not sure that he had terribly much control over how he handled it, either. I give him a complete pass but not his actions, if that makes sense.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2010, 10:40:27 AM »
That the passenger hasn't been identified or charged with anything sort of tells me that we don't know the whole story.  Obviously there is more to it, otherwise she would have been charged with assault or something even more serious.  Also, the airline gave her a $100 voucher.  That says something too.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2010, 11:32:01 AM »
The airline might have just gone down the entire flight list and sent everyone a voucher.  I agree we don't have the whole story, but her getting a voucher doesn't mean she's blameless.

miranova

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2010, 11:38:26 AM »
The airline might have just gone down the entire flight list and sent everyone a voucher.  I agree we don't have the whole story, but her getting a voucher doesn't mean she's blameless.

I agree.  It takes time to investigate, interview people, sort out the stories, etc.  I think they just gave everyone a voucher while they are investigating.  Truthfully, I don't care that this woman got a $100 voucher.  If she did break laws, and there is enough evidence to prove it, she will be charged and punished.  The $100 voucher will be worthless to her if they decide not to let her fly on their airline again.  It's not cash.  I do hope the truth comes out and everyone involved is charged for the crimes they committed.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2010, 03:53:37 PM »
I cannot remember where I read this, but he did check to make sure that there was no one there before he deployed the slide.  I'm not saying he was ok to do it, but it wasn't done without any regard to the safety of others.

Honestly, all this tells me is that he has presence of mind enough to check, which means he had presence enough of mind to show some self-restraint.  He chose not to. 

Now, I'm not saying he wasnt assaulted or that woman shouldnt be charged as well, but morally, ethically, and etiquettely, this guy was 100% wrong. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Isisnin

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »
A couple passengers have said that they saw the wound on his head when they boarded the plane.  One male passenger said that Slater was standing at the door to greet the passenger as they entered.  The male passenger commented on the wound and Slater said something like: it's been a bad day.  Maybe the cut happened on a prior flight????

What I understand is why none of the other attendants step in during all this (apparently).  One of the others should have told him to clean up and put a bandaid on before greeting the passengers.  Can't help but wonder if one of them did and Slater snapped at them.  I can't think of a good reason for a flight attendant to do their job with an unbandaged cut on  his face.

Bottom line, if he couldn't handle dealing with passengers he should have talked to the other attendants and asked them to run interference (since he couldn't go home sick). 

I wonder if he was the head attendants on this flight.  That would explain the other attendants apparently not interceding during all this.  If he wasn't the head attendant, then whoever was should have interceded.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2010, 10:57:56 AM »
I suspect the whole thing was an audition for a reality show.
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2010, 11:00:48 AM »
I got the feeling, from the very beginning, that his story was greatly embellished, if not outright made up.   The eye witnesses did not agree with much of what he claimed to have happened.  I think he lied.