Author Topic: Facebook, where maturity goes out the window (and other things, too)  (Read 1923 times)

Akarui Kibuno

Hi all!

I don't know about you, but as much as I sometimes use "bad"-ish words in my Facebook statuses, I try to keep myself in check just as I would do on E-Hell and in real life. Mostly because I'm a reasonable person and because I think politeness help a lot in most situations.

However, I've noticed a disturbing trend in some games I play. Those games have discussion boards and it seems like many people of *all* ages are becoming brainless imbeciles. Most recent example : 16 year old uses OffensivePic as his profile pic, and posts a "contest" with a "bad joke" . Poster sees contest and uses the pic too, and realizes that pic is offensive. Poster then posts asking mods to remove ContestThread, because of OffensivePic. So, instead of letting the thread go down on the list, people start replying, bashing Poster because she is offended and saying she used the pic too, and she's hypocritical, and blah blah blah. And saying Poster attacked a "16 year old" .

Since I'm getting more and more annoyed at people who do that kind of thing (in other games too, not just this one, although this is the latest example) , here is what I posted in reply to the thread Poster made (in which people tried to call her out on her "hypocrisy" , failing miserably at appearing more mature than Poster)

Well, I have to admit that, while I do not like the pic myself either, I don't see *any* maturity in going after the person who started that thread.

I mean, the best mature and intelligent solution would have been to avoid posting, possibly reporting to a mod or something. Sure, sometimes people start threads for no reason, or for bad reasons and whatnot, but yeah.

Oh, and the fact that the guy is 16 doesn't change anything for me. Stupid people can be stupid at any age, and a 16 year old can be mature enough to avoid awkward situations on FB (and other places online for that matter) .

The problem is that, on most of these games, you can't really avoid reading the discussion boards if you want info on the game. And since the thread titles are often useless, you can't help reading threads that you may not be interested in at all, because if you want to know what's going on, you're going to look at threads, and the damage will be done.

I could have avoided replying (in another game I was called a "brown noser" [yes, really] because I dared go against the grain) , since people like me are usually seen in a very, very bad way. And I have to say I do not understand why. When I read E-Hell, I see people disagreeing with others everyday, and we still survive, and post in peace.

Has anyone else experienced this ? How do you deal with it ? In those games/discussion boards, posting is also one of the only ways to get noticed by the mods, so I want to appear in my best light. As I said, not reading/not replying is not an answer, and I shall also add that not playing anymore isn't a solution either (although not gifting anything to the people offending me seriously is one) , since I do enjoy the games.

What do you think ?
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

Namárië

Re: Facebook, where maturity goes out the window (and other things, too)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 09:10:44 AM »
If reporting to mods is an option, I would just do that every time, instead of bothering to say anything.
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:03:40 AM »
Has anyone else experienced this ? How do you deal with it ? In those games/discussion boards, posting is also one of the only ways to get noticed by the mods, so I want to appear in my best light. As I said, not reading/not replying is not an answer, and I shall also add that not playing anymore isn't a solution either (although not gifting anything to the people offending me seriously is one) , since I do enjoy the games.

Wait, why is not posting a reply "not an answer"?  Am I missing something here?  I don't see any reason why you had to reply.  You're just inviting drama. 

LEMon

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 05:05:58 PM »
I suspect OP responded because I have observed threads here where there seems to be a lot of one point of view and agreement, and someone else can see the other side and want to get it out there.

But on other forums that just keeps the thread alive and now they are going to go after you.  I think it would have been better to pm the one who tried to get the pic off and support her that way.  Let them talk all they want; the two of you can have a nice talk elsewhere and let it go.

Akarui Kibuno

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 04:31:56 AM »
I suspect OP responded because I have observed threads here where there seems to be a lot of one point of view and agreement, and someone else can see the other side and want to get it out there.

But on other forums that just keeps the thread alive and now they are going to go after you.  I think it would have been better to pm the one who tried to get the pic off and support her that way.  Let them talk all they want; the two of you can have a nice talk elsewhere and let it go.

I think you hit the reason right there.

As far as that particular thread, I guess I could have let it go, and for other threads in general I could apply my own advice and say nothing. I guess I'm too much into "justice" or whathaveyou, and what annoys me the most is seeing how people who claim to be such good people can become so nasty to each other. It's pretty unbelievable. And the mods aren't always there to see everything, so sometimes regular posters just try to be "the voice of reason" (as in, not necessarily the person who's right, but the person who's able to express views without being nasty or calling names) .

And as I said, not posting is "not an answer" because, should "people like me" never answers, the boards would be filled with vitriol and sometimes all you need is the odd "good" post here and there to make sure you're not going crazy.

(With that said, I have messaged a mod but she wasn't available, I'll have to find someone else :) )
My FB rants blog (English) - My personal site (French)
A click on one of the ads every so often would help a lot if possible. Thank you <3 .

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:37:11 AM »
Well, it's your choice.  You can ignore the drama and not post--that *is* an answer.  Or you can keep posting and still be annoyed by it--there's really no other advice to give on this one.