Author Topic: How to tell my supervisor she's slacking off?  (Read 1901 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
How to tell my supervisor she's slacking off?
« on: August 11, 2010, 10:57:21 AM »
BG - My current supervisor has only been in her role since April of this year.  One of the first things she did upon assuming her role was set up biweekly one on one meetings with all of her team.  In addition, my company does "interim reviews" around July/August to make sure that everyone knows how they're doing; it's supposed to make sure that year end reviews don't come as a shock to anyone.  End BG.

So far, my supervisor has missed 3 of our scheduled one on ones, simply by not being here on that particular day.  In addition, I'm the only person on her team who she has not gone over the interim review with.  I'm a little worried; in my previous experience, this was how you figured out that a) your supervisor didn't like you and was trying to get you fired or b) that you were getting written up/a bad review and your supervisor didn't want to confront you about it.  I'm supposed to have another one on one today, and my supervisor isn't here yet.  No one's heard from her as to whether she'll be in or not.  If she doesn't show up, I'd like to email her and request a meeting ASAP, to make sure that I'm not screwing up somewhere that I'm not aware of.  I have no idea how to word such a request without coming off as saying "Do your freakin' job!".  Any help would be appreciated!

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
Re: How to tell my supervisor she's slacking off?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:32:44 AM »
My manager is the same way. But we have an unspoken agreement that if I ever need her for anything, no matter how small it might be, she's always available by her cell phone. There are very few people who have this number, and I'm the type where I don't call her unless it's absolutely necessary.

That aside, has there been legitimate reasons she hasn't been there, such as a family emergency or something where she's had to go to another site or take care of something that might have taken up her time? Keep in mind, it's still early August, and if the interim reviews were done in July/August, I would assume for both months. Reviews are something that take time and we have them going on around here too. We tend to do them by department so that HR isn't bogged down with 200+ reviews to log into the system for merit raises and so forth. Granted this isn't the case, but I'm sure she has her own personal paperwork to do, notes to input, etc. for her own use.

As for the e-mail, perhaps something worded along the lines of "I know we've missed our last 3 meetings and I would like to get together with you to make sure I'm on the right track. I'd live to discuss X with you and see how to handle it (that is if there is something going on that you need her input on)." And suggest a date that will work for you.

http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

Danismom

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 12:39:16 PM »
I concur with the idea of emailing the supervisor.  You might even say that you are aware that it's time for your interim review.  Then ask when she'd like to do it so you can be sure you have it on your calendar.

Bramble

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 01:20:13 PM »
I think it depends on how approachable she is in general.  My manager and I have biweekly one-on-ones that are scheduled but if one or the other of us are out its no big deal.  And if we really need to sit down we'll reschedule it rather then cancelling it.  But I know that if I have an issue that I can just go up and talk to him at any time.

As far as the review I would send an email saying that because of everybody's busy schedule can a time be setup for the review so you can make sure it gets on the schedule.