Author Topic: Does anyone know how the mail system works? Texas  (Read 788 times)

Aggiesque

Does anyone know how the mail system works? Texas
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:22:45 AM »
DH and I are having lots of trouble with our mail. We moved about a month ago, and filled out all the forwarding paperwork, etc (as we did in previous moves). Everything is getting fore-warded- the yellow labels show this- but we are not getting our mail. We've had 3 different people in our area bring our mail over to us- multiple times. Thankfully, they didn't throw it away- this included bills! It's not just the house to the right or left- it's people 1/2 a mile away!

Who do I contact about this? The mail driver? The post-office (do they still handle individual mail? I could see if being warehoused)? How do I know what post office it would be? Any suggestions?

Whoops, I meant this to go into Life in General...oh well!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:28:39 AM by Aggiesque »
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Bramble

Re: Does anyone know how the mail system works? Texas
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:34:15 AM »
The most direct route is to go to the local distribution center and complain. That's the facility that sorts the mail and distributes it to the carriers. This may or may not be the same as the retail post office that you'd go to buy stamps and mail packages.  Go to usps.com and do a search for Post Office locations near you.  Look to see if there is a nearby location labeled "DCU".  Around here its essentially just a warehouse with a front desk to handle issues related to mail delivery, held mail, and large packages.  If you're unclear where that DCU is go to the closest post office and ask where you would need to go to fix issues with your mail pickup, or call the 1-800-ASK-USPS number.

Once when I moved all my forwarded mail was getting returned because the driver didn't know that the yellow label indicated that the person living at the address had changed.  She didn't recognize the name so she just sent it all back to the sender.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:15:26 PM by Bramble »

kakack

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »
You also may want to contact everyone who sends you mail (credit cards, utilities, magazines) and change your address with them directly.  You can often do it online and it's a lot faster than going through the post office.  Plus you don't have to worry about the forwarding labels coming off.

nowhere

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:40:27 AM »
I'd call the main Customer Service USPS line or search online with your city to locate the closest office (the local office may direct you to the main office that actually oversees mail delivery for your area*). 

We stopped receiving mail at our weekend residence one day.  There was also a rubberband placed over the door of our mailbox.  It was strange.  After three weeks of non-delivery (we're talking junk mail too, so it was more weird as that was all we'd get), I called the office that delivers to our area and spoke to someone.  She insisted we were still listed as active for mail delivery and had no idea why there would be a rubberband over our box.  The next week we still didn't receive anything and the rubberband we had removed was back on the mailbox.  This time I went into that office and spoke with I believe the same woman I talked to on the phone.  She went in the back, and when she came out again she discovered that the letter carrier assumed our house was vacant so he stopped all deliveries.  I had to complete another card to initiate service at our address, and we've had no problems since then.  Of course now we make sure not to let three weeks go by without going to our house (we had been on a long vacation before so wasn't at our cottage for a while) in case the mailman decides we don't live there anymore.

* Our house is in the Village of XXX but the neighboring city of YYY delivers our mail even though we have our own post office.

Oops, as I was typing, someone else answered more succinctly. 

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »
You can call your local post office and speak to the manager of the branch, but sometimes it's better to go in person.  I never seem to have much luck when I complained to them over the phone.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Danismom

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:04:58 PM »
I would talk with the post office.  Calling the USPS number would work but I would also try to talk with the local branch office.  There may be some reason that your mail is getting messed up.  Perhaps your address is close to someone else's (North Elm vs. South Elm and the forwarding label doesn't specify?)?  I'm hoping for a simple fix here.  My concern of course would be that if they are having problems with forwarded mail, they may also be having trouble with regular mail.  I don't see why the forwarding label would make a difference.

Aggiesque

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »
kakack, we have changed our address with all of our expected mail- bills, magazines, etc. The forwarding is just in case we've forgotten or missed anything. When we see those, we call and change the address they have on file, don't worry!

Thank you guys for all of the insight, hopefully I can get on it today!
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 08:23:10 PM »
Unfortunately, it sometimes just comes down to a lazy or ignorant mail carrier.  We only got about 5% of our mail forwarded when we moved, despite the fact that we just moved across town - after many phone calls and in-person visits to both our new and our old post office, it turns out our previous mail carrier didn't feel like forwarding anything so he just trashed it all (or returned it; not sure which).  He got a talking-to from his supervisor, but we never did start getting our mail.  We got probably once piece a week (should have been 6-7) for the rest of the year.