Author Topic: What the heck?!? UPDATE, Post 27  (Read 30519 times)

MrsO

• Super Hero!
Re: What the heck?!?
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 07:07:36 AM »
My status updates are never, ever serious.  Well, almost never.  I make a lot of booze jokes in my status updates.  I have, at most, one beer a week.  I also talk about cheese a lot.  It's my favorite food group.  She'd have a field day with me.

Well, she'd probably call social services on me, I recently threatened to advertise BabyO on Freecycle (and I was only half joking). :P

I think your plan to not respond is good, Scritzy (and this would take ALOT of restraint to not give her a piece of my mind, if I were you). And I'd defriend her.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
Re: What the heck?!? UPDATE, Post 27
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 10:27:38 AM »
Posting in this category because it seemed appropriate, but mods, feel free to move to Techno if it's better there.

I usually keep my FB status fairly lighthearted. Today it was, "Having peach ice cream for lunch. Off to get my head read." I had a couple of, "Yeah, it's fruit and dairy, how can you go wrong?" kind of posts, and I said, "I can justify anything that tastes good!"

A few minutes after the postings, I got a PM from someone I recently friended. I went to school with her and we weren't close, but she is in the school friends group, so I friended her. Imagine my shock to get the following from her:

I am probably out of line here, however, I take your posts seriously. I read them and a great deal of the time it is like hearing my sister, XXX. She and you shared the same attitude about food and drink... she died 01-04-08. My hope for you is that you will begin to look at your doctors care for what it is, care and concern and not comic relief. Again, I am sure I am out of place but you seem to have a lot of people who love you and care for you.... you would be sorely missed as my sister is.

??? What? ???

I'm thinking of replying, "Thank you for your concern. I'll be fine." Is that too abrupt?

OK, I tried not to be, but I really am curious. Do you know what her sister died of?  I mean, I doubt she died from peach ice cream, but the only connection I can make is an eating disorder?

flo

• used to be re-moe
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 10:33:46 AM »
Hit by a truck carrying peaches as she was eating ice cream?

whatsanenigma

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 10:50:33 AM »
Edited to add: And I go get my head read again tomorrow, this time by the therapist. Is it okay if I have more peach ice cream before I go?

Only if you do it with enough time in between to let the brain freeze wear off.

And I agree, the best response to the weird comment is no response. Anything you say, she'll twist around and say more weird stuff about. And if you defriend her over this, things could really get weird.

Just ignore it and see where she takes it from here, I would say. That might change how you deal with it in the future but for now, the best response is no response.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »
As I sit here eating peach ice cream (unfortunately, peppermint is season, unless I make it myself), I also ponder if her sister may have died of an eating disorder.

Still ... it's not her business if I eat peach ice cream for breakfast, lunch, dinner and every meal in between.

I will keep things as they are for now, but if she persists, off the friend list she goes. And on the block list she goes.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Shiraz_Much?

• formerly celtic1973
  • Good wine is a necessity of life for me -Jefferson
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 11:27:43 AM »
I just want you to know that now I really really really want some peach ice cream!!!
I haven't had that since I was pg w/DD#2...that was my big craving then.

New York
My soul is adrift in oceans of madness - Disturbed

Wine is sunlight, held together by water! - Galileo Gallilei

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »
I'm guessing that her sister had some psychological problem, and also engaged in destructive behavior, including bad eating habits.  She she sees the comment about getting your head read, and connects it to her mentally ill sister, and then on top of that, you also have these self-destructive habits like eating ice cream for lunch ::)  Throw in the fact that you're joking about it, you're clearly very very sick, and not taking it seriously, and therefor, you're going to die like her poor sister.

I know she was way out of line, and way off the mark, too, but I do feel sorry for her.  Imagine how the loss of her sister must have impacted her, if she's reacting this way. 

AdakAK

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 01:44:28 PM »
I don't know, but I would be very tempted to post this icecream on my facebook if I were you:

http://topcultured.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/261.jpg

Or this one...  http://www.ice-cream-recipes.com/ice_cream_sundae_best.htm

I would ignore it, and give her a small benefit of the doubt.  Perhaps her sister's death is particularly difficult to deal with right now, or something.  I think it's weird to send that without even a feeler message,\ about how you're doing.  Something to lead into that.  ???

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2010, 04:55:01 PM »
was your post right before that one 'Just back from the doctor, he said I'll be fine just as long as I never eat fruit flavored dairy products' ?

because otherwise her response really makes no sense, hundreds of people have eaten peach ice cream and lived to tell the tale
My grandmother insisted that you should never drink  milk with fruit or eat fruit-flavored ice cream.  The reason?  "The fruit will cause the milk to curdle in your stomach and make you sick."  I guess from the acid content.  Nobody told her that the stomach produces its own acid, much stronger than the mild acid in fruit.  Maybe that was your friends' concern?

Or else she's on the "X is bad for you" kick, where X can be almost anything. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 08:42:25 PM »
Yes, but what he died of is not clear.  Some sort of gastroenteritis, possibly cholera.  Maybe one or the other was contaminated, or some other food was. 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2010, 02:37:21 AM »
Or this one...  http://www.ice-cream-recipes.com/ice_cream_sundae_best.htm

What! Gold Leaf? Caviar? Give me the vanilla ice cream, the fancy pants chocolate, and you can keep the rest of that outrageous sundae! Ok, maybe I'll try the gold dragets, but only because I don't want to admit that I don't know what they are  ;D

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2010, 05:13:43 AM »
was your post right before that one 'Just back from the doctor, he said I'll be fine just as long as I never eat fruit flavored dairy products' ?

because otherwise her response really makes no sense, hundreds of people have eaten peach ice cream and lived to tell the tale
My grandmother insisted that you should never drink  milk with fruit or eat fruit-flavored ice cream.  The reason?  "The fruit will cause the milk to curdle in your stomach and make you sick."  I guess from the acid content.  Nobody told her that the stomach produces its own acid, much stronger than the mild acid in fruit.  Maybe that was your friends' concern?

Or else she's on the "X is bad for you" kick, where X can be almost anything. 

Your grandmother is correct. My son proved this a couple of weeks ago when he drank strawberry milk then ate a apple then decided to puke on 3 people in front of him at the football match. What fun that was.  :-X  ::)
Stewart/Colbert '16

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2010, 05:13:29 PM »
Well, bless her heart, if that isn't the most special response to a Facebook status I've read in quite a while!  I guess at least she had the decency to PM you instead of spamming your wall where she could flabbergast the rest of your friends (not to mention give y'all some great conversation fodder for years to come...)?

And now I want peach ice cream.  Darnit.  :P

Rockie

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2010, 04:40:31 AM »
Huh, I've eaten fruit while drinking milk and eaten it with ice cream and haven't had any problems. I never knew the combo could cause problems. O_O

And yeesh, a message like that would cause me to bristle - it just felt so presumptuous, like she knows your health and eating habits better than you.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2010, 05:58:20 AM »
Huh, I've eaten fruit while drinking milk and eaten it with ice cream and haven't had any problems. I never knew the combo could cause problems. O_O

I'm pretty sure it can't really cause problems.  That sounds like some bad science made up by someone who happened to eat the fruit/milk combo just before getting sick for other reasons.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:00:21 AM by hot_shaker »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.