Author Topic: Facebook Birthdays...  (Read 988 times)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
Facebook Birthdays...
« on: August 11, 2010, 04:36:58 PM »
I got this email from a friend's facebook account (her birthday is tomorrow)  It says in the subject field, "Don't write on Bette's wall!!!"

Your friend Bette Davis is doing something different on her birthday. Bette has made a pledge to raise money for a cause she really cares about, Davis Foundation. To wish her a happy birthday, skip the wall post and the super-poke, and check out her Birthday Wish where you can design a birthday card, share photos and video, donate to the Wish, and spread the word.

View Bette's Birthday Wish

Thanks,
The Causes Team

Annoying?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:29:19 PM by Zilla »

LtPowers

Re: Facebook Birthdays...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »
Annoying?

Yes, and rude, but it's "for a good cause" so it "doesn't count".

Powers  &8^]

USC_Gamecock

• Is this thing on?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 05:10:54 PM »
Oooh, I find that particularly repelling.  That person's birthday would go unnoticed by me, at least on Facebook.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 05:26:01 PM »
very. 

charity and special occassions should be kept separate, imo. 

I would still wish a HB on the wall, and skip the charity thing, personally. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 05:33:48 PM »
Beyond annoying.  It's obnoxious.

HeeBeeJeeBee

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 06:40:09 PM »
I put it in the same category as the year my aunt "gave everyone" the gift of donating to a charity in my uncle's memory, in each individual family member's name.  This is something I would not have chosen to do, and would not want my name associated with it, as it was not my choice.  So basically, she took the money she would have spent on a present and gave it to the charity.  It really irked me.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 06:55:18 PM »

Dreadfully so.

Sorry.  :-\

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

miranova

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 07:35:45 PM »
Extremely annoying and pretentious.  She is assuming that you care about her birthday at all.  I know that may sound harsh.  I really do care about my friends and want to wish them a happy birthday but if they assumed a birthday wish in advance, and forbid me from writing on their wall, it would annoy me.  I mean, I would respect that wish and not write on their wall, but I'd also ignore the plea for a donation and my opinion of them would change.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 10:07:37 PM »
I wasn't sure if I was overreacting to the email and after reading this, I know I wasn't.  It felt wrong from the subject saying in my inbox before I opened it, "Don't write on Bette's Wall!!" to reading why I couldn't or shouldn't.

I will be very curious to see or whom does end up writing on her wall.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 10:20:29 PM »
Did she send it or someone using her friends list?  It sounds almost like a hack.  Otherwise it's horrifically annoying.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 09:31:48 AM »
Did she send it or someone using her friends list?  It sounds almost like a hack.  Otherwise it's horrifically annoying.

Nope she posted it on her wall as well with a personal message.  It is definetely her. 

I can understand the charity aspect of it, but it was worded so wrong.