Author Topic: Clothing pattern question  (Read 574 times)

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Clothing pattern question
« on: August 11, 2010, 11:32:11 PM »
I'm going to start out by saying I know this is going to sound weird...

Do any of you all who make clothes or costumes have a pattern for a nightgown/shirt/something that can be slept in that does not have side seams? 

Kaymyth

Re: Clothing pattern question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 11:45:11 PM »
I've never seen one specifically, but it'd be possible to modify an existing pattern into something like that.  You'd have to have a seam *somewhere*, of course, but it easily be in the back.

The biggest issue with doing this would be that the garment would essentially have to be cut out of one piece of fabric; which would require a large yardage.  You also may wind up with a garment a bit shorter than what you want, due to the width of fabric bolts, typically 45"-60".

singingserpent

• I like pie.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:48:36 PM »
There is fabric called "tube knit" that is just that--a tube of fabric.  If you could figure out the neck and shoulders there would be no side seams.  Here is some at fabric.com http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=ac63d498-9bae-4a32-99c8-8fe87534a37e

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 12:02:06 AM »
Make a tube for most of the body (up to the armpits) with a back seam, then sew the straps on. You can also cut the straps on while cutting out the tube, then sew the back of the straps to the back of the tube, or the front of the straps overlapping with a button to close it, like overalls. Or even half of the straps on both the front and back and have the shoulder seam. A belt or sash makes it so you don't really need darts.

Any more than a cap sleeve gets clumsy.

otterwoman

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:38:57 AM »
I've made chemises with the seams in the front and back. But, tube knit fabric may be the best option. Have you tried a men's undershirt? The 5 pack for $10 things? They are tube knit fabric, no side seams.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 01:49:16 PM »

Do any of you all who make clothes or costumes have a pattern for a nightgown/shirt/something that can be slept in that does not have side seams? 

is there a specific reason for this?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 02:16:38 PM »

is there a specific reason for this?

Yes, with the "non-specific connective tissue disorder" thing my body is hypersensitive.  I can only sleep on my side and the seams (and wrinkles in the sheets) feel like I am laying on little knives.

Thank you for the ideas.  It has my gears working now.

singingserpent

• I like pie.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »
Here's a lady that made a tunic/dress with just rectangles http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=114872.0.  You can see how she put the shoulder seams together and just cut out a little for the neckline.  If you use a knit fabric, you really do not need to seam the neckline and armholes, they shouldn't unravel on you and then that will be just that many less seams to irritate you. Good luck!