Author Topic: Private info announced at staff meeting  (Read 3522 times)

HeeBeeJeeBee

Private info announced at staff meeting
« on: August 11, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »
Recently, I had to drop down to 36 hrs/week to adjust for decreased work load.  This afternoon, my boss announced this at the staff meeting!   :o  As in, "I would like to thank Heather for being so understanding, as we have had to reduce her hours due to decreased volumes.  Thanks, Heather!"

This is not something I wanted broadcast to the whole department!  All I could do was murmur something like "you're welcome", but I was angry!

Was boss rude?

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: Private info announced at staff meeting
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
   It may not have been the best way to handle it but I don't think number of hours worked is private information

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:46:28 PM »
I don't think so. It's something that would probably end up being common knowledge anyway, when people see you coming and going earlier than you used to.

Larrabee

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »
I'm not sure I'd have a problem with it to be honest.  Its not very personal info such as medical or your salary, and the fact that there's been less work available does not reflect badly on you at all.

It seems your boss genuinely wanted to show appreciation, unless there's some backstory?

Harlow

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 06:47:52 PM »
I think the way the boss announced it was rude but I don't think hours cut is private information. I think it's good information for your coworkers to have incase they needed you.

HeeBeeJeeBee

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 06:50:44 PM »
No, no back story, and you're probably right - co-workers would notice if I am not there all the time.  Still, I just felt a little weird about having it announced ...

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 06:50:55 PM »
I'm not sure I'd have a problem with it to be honest.  Its not very personal info such as medical or your salary, and the fact that there's been less work available does not reflect badly on you at all.

It seems your boss genuinely wanted to show appreciation, unless there's some backstory?

My thoughts, exactly.

In fact (this is just a guess) it is probably helpful for the rest of your department to know that you are on reduced hours.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Harlow

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 06:52:16 PM »
No, no back story, and you're probably right - co-workers would notice if I am not there all the time.  Still, I just felt a little weird about having it announced ...

I'm back at work but I was laid off for the summer so I can understand. It's hard when your hours are reduced, and almost a little embarrassing. ( Well you might not be embarrassed but I was so embarrassed when I got laid off.

lolane

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »
I can understand why you'd be taken aback, especially since you were not expecting the announcement, but I don't think it's private information and I can understand why the boss would think it'd be important to let your coworkers know about your new schedule.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 07:27:16 PM »
Just another thought, but I actually think it was probably the right thing to do. People would have noticed anyway, and instead of them speculating that you got your hours cut due to poor work performance, he made it known that it was not your fault, and you had been a good employee and team player. I actually think it makes you look good.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »
It's definitely not private information.  It might not be information that everyone needs to know, but I think that anyone who would be impacted by your reduced hours has a need to know about it.

It might have been better if your boss had just told everyone the hours you'd be working and let them figure out it was fewer than before.  On the other hand, stating it the way he did made it clear that it was not a decision you made based on personal reasons, nor was it disciplinary in any way.  It allowed him to say that it was because of the department's needs, and to thank you for it.

The biggest mistake he could have made is telling people who wouldn't have any particular need to know, but telling your whole department doesn't necessarily mean he was telling people who wouldn't need to know what your hours are.  It depends upon the size of your department.

But regardless, I wouldn't worry about it.  It feels weird to have it announced, but that's the most efficient way of letting people know about changes in other's jobs.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 08:01:20 PM »
Just another thought, but I actually think it was probably the right thing to do. People would have noticed anyway, and instead of them speculating that you got your hours cut due to poor work performance, he made it known that it was not your fault, and you had been a good employee and team player. I actually think it makes you look good.

I agree.  I think people would have speculated why your hours had been cut (or maybe even assumed you were slacking off), so this puts an end to any possible speculation and makes it clear you're not at fault.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 09:10:05 PM »
When I first saw your post title, I thought you meant something such as confidential medical or family information.  Naturally, an announcement along the lines of  "Heather has had to cut her hours temporarily because she is caring for a terminally ill relative" would definitely be out-of-line, unless of course you'd already okayed others knowing about this.

But, like PPs, I really don't see the issue here.  If it was me, I'd much rather that my co-workers knew that it was the company's decision and I wasn't slacking off.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 09:40:55 PM »
No, no back story, and you're probably right - co-workers would notice if I am not there all the time.  Still, I just felt a little weird about having it announced ...

I'm back at work but I was laid off for the summer so I can understand. It's hard when your hours are reduced, and almost a little embarrassing. ( Well you might not be embarrassed but I was so embarrassed when I got laid off.

I get that. It's like saying "thanks to the office patsy, we cut her hours because she'll be least missed and won't have the guts to complain." (and everyone is thinking, well TG it's not me).

It might not be the case at all, but there is an element of humiliation in it. Because the truly usefull don't get cut. Well, the cheapest workers don't get cut, also :)

I don't think it was rude, but I could see why you'd be irritated or upset.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 12:26:51 AM »

I agree.

And it's not private info. Not at all. It's not even YOUR info. It's workflow and volume of work.'

But thanking you is a little weird. "Thanks for letting us shaft you."

I'd have said, "As you know volume is down. We've reluctantly taken the step of trimming work hours. Heather was the unfortunate victim because she's been here fewer hours, I'm sorry to say. I'm really bummed; and I know you join me in hoping we'll be able to raise those hours soon. The better we are at our jobs, the more appealing we are to future customers. Meanwhile, Heather will be here for 36 hours each week. We will *not* be contacting her during the hours she's not working; we'll all want to work together to be sure we get what we need *before* her work day ends. And I'd like to thank Heather for her professionalism. This is a tough time for her, I'm sure it's frustrating and disappointing for her, and she has made it very easy on me. I'm grateful."

That's the same message, but I bet you'd have felt better about hearing it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:30:45 AM by TootsNYC »