Author Topic: weekend work fundraiser  (Read 1702 times)

HeeBeeJeeBee

weekend work fundraiser
« on: August 11, 2010, 06:49:40 PM »
One of my co-workers would like to walk in a local fundraiser event for the Alzheimer's Association.  She wants to start up a "team" (meaning our dept at work, think small, 8 people) to do the walk together.  I am not interested in participating for many reasons, the biggest being that my weekends are precious and I don't want to give up any part of it for work-type activities.

OTOH, I don't want to look like I don't support my co-workers.  Best way to respond to her request?

Harlow

Re: weekend work fundraiser
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 06:50:37 PM »
If you can afford it and want to give a donation.

For a response, just say sorry but unfortunately weekends do not work for you.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 07:30:11 PM »
I agree that giving a donation, if you can afford to do so, would be a nice gesture.

Otherwise, tell people you've already got plans for that weekend, but you'd love to hear all about it once it's done.  Even if your plans are to watch television in your pajamas all weekend, those still count as plans. :)  You don't ever have to tell anyone what your plans actually are, even if they press for more information.

kennedar

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:49:23 PM »
I admit, I am usually the one who is trying to organize these groups, however I have never judged anyone for their inability/unwillingness to join in. If you want to go, then you should join them. If not, then its not a big deal. If you can afford it, and have no ethical/moral/etc reasons not to, I would donate at least a small amount to the charity. Even 5 - 10$ will make it seem like you want to join in and smooth over any hard feelings.

Silversurfer

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:28:48 AM »
Feel no guilt in saying no!! You are saying that you are not available on that weekend, not you don't support her fundraising or walking or her chosen charity.

(and by 'supporting' i mean asking about it after the fact, wishing her good luck the friday before... supporting doesn't have to be monetary.)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:52:03 AM »
 What's your goal? what would you like to do? what aren't you willing to do?

Not to participate on weekends

donate ?

donate to other causes just not this one at this time?

pass their sign up sheet out to others?

donate time in a different way?

Don't want to mix work and fundraising period?

"I'm  not available for the walk , but I'd like to donate"

Here's the good thing about your boss telling everyone your hours were just cut ,  just follow if asked with ..... "it's not possible for me to donate at this time" 

MovieLover

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 05:28:38 PM »
"Sorry but my weekends are the only personal time I have off and they are already spoken for".

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:29:55 PM »
If you're willing to donate/sponsor your co-workers in the walks, I'd offer to do that, but say, "Unfortunately, I have scheduled things on the weekends, so I can't participate in the walks."
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

HeeBeeJeeBee

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 10:12:21 PM »
[quoteHere's the good thing about your boss telling everyone your hours were just cut ,  just follow if asked with ..... "it's not possible for me to donate at this time"[/quote]

Good point!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:14:00 PM by heatherw575 »