Author Topic: Stopping UPS delivery . . . (AKA I screwed up.)  (Read 913 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Stopping UPS delivery . . . (AKA I screwed up.)
« on: August 11, 2010, 09:20:16 PM »
I had ordered a few items to be delivered to DD#1's dorm room. I checked/double/triple check the delivery dates (10-14 working days for delivery.)

10 working days would mean that the items would be delivered 3 days after move in date, where DD#1 would be there to accept the item.

I received an e-mail just before I was leaving work today stating that my items were shipped and expected arrival date is 2 days earlier than move-in-date which means that no one will be available to accept the package (school rules).

Yeah, okay, I'm complaining about shipping efficiency. ::)

Who do I contact . . . the company where I ordered the items from? Use my tracking number for UPS and ask that they delay shipment?

How should I handle this? Thoughts? Suggestions? Help??

Please?

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Re: Stopping UPS delivery . . . (AKA I screwed up.)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 09:22:39 PM »
Do you have a tracking number?  If so call UPS and ask if there are any options.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:32:44 PM »
If the package requires a signature, UPS will attempt to deliver 3 times (three days in a row) before sending it back to the shipper.

If it doesn't require a signature, they might just leave it on the doorstep. This is what would happen in a residential neighborhood. Not sure what the procedure would be in a dorm. It's possible that all dorm deliveries go to the student mailroom? You should check with the Uni to find out.

Call UPS, call the school, and call the company shipping it. What might be easiest is asking UPS to hold it for pickup at their facility, it probably won't be all that far away from the U.

Jess13

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:49:12 PM »
Depending on what kind of campus she's on, I know when I lived in the dorms all the mail was routed through the central mail room and I would get a slip to pick up a package.
You might be ok!

Aggiesque

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 10:01:43 AM »
Yep- ours too. We got a slip and had to pick it up at one of the mail rooms on campus (or the dorm central area, if we were in one of those dorms).

I'm betting it will be fine.

How nice of you to send her something! My parents never sent me anything LOL.
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

grannyclampettjr

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »
UPS Store employee here. 

The contract is between the company you ordered from and UPS--hence, they are the ones that have the authority to contact UPS and ask for a delay.  But I wouldn't worry about it because at colleges they do indeed just deliver everything to the mailroom as stated above.

Just to be clear on the entire delivery process...yes, in most cases packages without signature confirmation will be left at the doorstep.  Not always, though.  If the driver doesn't think it's safe to leave it (say, in an apartment hallway) they will leave a note and make two more delivery attempts. This is because if it is stolen, the driver will be under investigation.  They don't care if you need it right now.  Really, they don't.  If you needed it *today* you should have had it delivered to your work or a UPS Store.  (4500 strong, there is most likely one near you.)

Signature confirmation, well, requires a signature.  No siggy, no package.  After 3 delivery attempts are made it is held at the hub for a few days then returned to sender.  And, after the first delivery is made, then the reciepient can have the package rerouted to another address or request that it be held at the hub for pickup.

Hope this helps.