Author Topic: Enforced travelling companions? Aww helen no!  (Read 9491 times)

tallone

Enforced travelling companions? Aww helen no!
« on: August 11, 2010, 09:56:29 PM »
BG
Tallgirlfriend and I are going on a weekend holiday to celebrate our anniversary. We're taking a flight from Mycity to my Homecity, and from there we'll fly to our destination. However, on the way back there won't be a flight from Homecity to Mycity for three hours. We decided to catch a train to the coach station and take the coach back to Mycity. We'd only save an hour's travelling time but we'd also save three hours hanging around the airport :P

My sister who lives in Homecity has been and will be frequently visiting Mycity over the next few months because she is attending some courses not available in Homecity. My sister hates travelling alone.
End BG

So Tallgirlfriend and I are very excited for our anniversary trip and much gushing of the details of our getaway has been done by both of us. I was discussing aspects of the trip with my Dad after going over our itinerary with him. Dad was kind enough to offer to take us to the airport (at a ridiculously early time Friday morning) and pick us up from the coach station when we were back in Mycity.

My mother entered the conversation and picked up on the date of our return. This will apparently coincide with my sister catching the coach to Mycity to spend the week with us while she attends her course. Here's how that conversation went:

Me (to Dad): "So we'll catch a plane back on the ??th and then get a coach from Homecity to here."
Mum: "The ??th? that's when S will be coming up. She can catch the coach with you! ;D"
Me:  :-\"Doesn't she usually come up on a Tuesday? The ??th is a Sunday."
Mum: "Oh, that's alright. Since she hates travelling alone she can just come a couple days earlier."
Me: "I would prefer if she didn't."
Mum: "Why? You guys can all travel together! It'll be great, Tallgirlfriend and S can finally bond properly."

Note: S hates Tallgirlfriend. S doesn't look at Tallgirlfriend without a sneer, and doesn't speak without an insult.
The last time I made a trip to Homecity, S did tag along for the return trip and it was a nightmare. S did not have enough change for the train ticket so I bought her train ticket.  While waiting for the coach I bought myself lunch, turns out S had no money at all. I bought S lunch to stop her yelling at me in public. S needed a bottle of water. S needed snacks for the trip. My every attempt at no was met with a half yelled "But whyyyy I'm your siiiister, I'm huuuuungry I have no moooooney!" in as petulant a voice as she could muster. I hated it but when she threatens to start screaming and crying she actually means it. Did I mention S is 18 months older than me? So I caved rather than have her cry, nay, shriek all the way home. I hope that puts travelling with S in perspective.

To put the holiday in perspective, Tallgirlfriend booked our dinner reservations for our anniversary dinner six months ago. The restaurant is very posh, very in demand and the head chef is Tallgirlfriend's idol. And that's one activity on one day of the three day trip. Given the time and effort we have invested I am very protective of this trip. We have planned it to the last detail and, given the company, it will be amazing. I literally would be only slightly more excited if I was going to Disneyland.

Me: "Mum, we'll be on the way home from our holiday celebrating our anniversary. I do not want to have to travel with S."
Dad: "We have booked S's coach ticket already for Tuesday as well."
Mum: "We can get it changed! It's two weeks away! I don't get why you're being so selfish Tallone, she's your sister and you know she hates travelling alone! Why can't you just be nice for once?!"
Me: "This is an important occasion and I do not want to end it on a bad note because I have to spend five hours on a coach with S. S and I do not get along. S and Tallgirlfriend do not get along. Tallgirlfriend and I will be travelling alone."
Mum: "I'm not discussing this any more. S is travelling with you and that's final. Tell me what time is your coach leaving."
Me: "No, I won't. I know you would like S to travel with us but I'm afraid that won't be possible."

And I rode off into the sunset! I'm know going to cop PA and probably regular aggressive flak for this for the next couple months but the choice was clear. Leisurely trip home canoodling with my lady love or five hours of putting up with S's entitled, snarky behaviour at every turn? No contest.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Enforced travelling companions? Aww helen no!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 10:02:06 PM »
Yay for your backbone!  ;D

Hope you and the Lady Love have an awesome trip, and your sister can go sit on a tack. Traveling alone is the just consequence of being a petulant toddler last time.

wheeitsme

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:54:02 PM »
Good for you.

And me?  I've learned the valuable skill of selective ignoring. I would've let S cry and shriek on that first trip. Then she could've been given the chance to learn a valuble lesson.  ;)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »
Good for you!  Well done.

sisbam

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 11:58:10 PM »
Got a written itinerary? Give all that to TallGF. Can anyone other than you find out the details of your trip? Call the airline or whatever and get that changed.

Oh, and you said too much, but you already know that.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:06:04 AM »
Um, are there a lot of coaches? Does your dad know what time to pick you up? Because with even just one of those two details, I bet your mum can figure out which coach you're on.

Good for you! You've got a backbone.  Now remember to keep quiet about the timing.  :)
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

tallone

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 01:45:19 AM »
Um, are there a lot of coaches? Does your dad know what time to pick you up? Because with even just one of those two details, I bet your mum can figure out which coach you're on.

Good for you! You've got a backbone.  Now remember to keep quiet about the timing.  :)

This is a worry to be honest. I left the itinerary on the table when I walked away. It was all in a pile, and the coach reciept was in the middle. When I remembered and went back for it everything seemed to be in the same order, thank my lucky stars!

My Dad does know when my coach is getting in, meaning it would be a simple matter to find out when it leaves and get S on the same one. I think he'll refuse to swap it though, on the grounds they've already paid for the ticket to bring S down on the tuesday. There's a cancellation/swap fee that almost doubles the cost of the seat. It depends how offended my mother is, if she is determined that I will babysit S then S will be there no matter what.

We're saving money taking the coach instead of the plane (and we need to! This trip will cause considerable dents to both our wallets) but maybe Tallgirlfriend and I can consider shuffling our coach trip back an hour if I hear S has been put on the same coach as us. We'll still save cash but we'll arrive the same time as the plane would have.

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 02:58:47 AM »
So what if she ends up on the same bus/coach.
Say 'hello' as pleasantly as you can muster and then sit well away from her.

Just because she is there doesn't mean you must interact as well.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 03:33:10 AM »
Why do your parents enable S so much? Sheesh!

Way to be assertive though. :)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

JacklynHyde

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
So what if she ends up on the same bus/coach.
Say 'hello' as pleasantly as you can muster and then sit well away from her.

Just because she is there doesn't mean you must interact as well.

Pod, this and YES!  Even if your mother does her best to intervene, stick to your guns.  Hand Tallgirlfriend your wallet if you must in order to honestly say that you have no cash on you.

LEMon

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 05:32:51 PM »
Tallone, I would rollplay with your tallGF pretending to be S so that next time she pulls one you can handle it.  It can be fun if tallGF can get dream up all sorts of weird and non-wonderful things S might pull. 

I am so glad you two are putting more and more boundaries in place.  You deserve to be happy and non-stressed (and non-manipulated).

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 05:37:44 PM »

Nice job! It sounds like your dad might be a bit on your side and maybe able to calm your mom down about it, too, unless I am reading too much into things.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 05:41:45 PM »
Good for you for not caving!

I hope you don't end up having to travel with S, and can find ways to avoid doing that.  Is it possible for you to change your tickets or get other transportation than your father picking you up?
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 06:24:19 PM »
Do your parents know about all the stuff your sister pulled the last time you traveled together? Were you ever paid back for her train fare and food? If not, now might be the time to enlighten your mother.

You may also have an unexpected ally. Mom decided Sis would come two days earlier without consulting her - if she doesn't want to do that, it renders your mother's decision moot. 8)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

sickgirl13

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »
It would be great to get an update after your trip!
Hope it works out  :)