Author Topic: I Need A Volunteer  (Read 2108 times)

DaDancingPsych

I Need A Volunteer
« on: August 13, 2010, 12:20:23 AM »
I recently received an email specifically requesting me to donate my services. While I think the cause is worthy, I can not volunteer for every worthy cause. I do, unknown to many, adjust my rates according to various factors with each request. Being that I was specifically asked to work for free with this request, would it be rude to reply with something like this?

"I really appreciate the work that your organization does and I want to see how I may be able to assist with your benefit. I am available for $XX/hour and will gladly waiver my usual sitting fee which runs between $XXX-XXX. If this works for you, I can be reached at..."

Obviously, I am offering a HUGE discount and want to make it clear to the organization. However, I don't want to be rude by refusing to straight up donate. I will gladly send the standard "I am unable to donate at this time" if my e-Hellions tell me that the first reply is rude. But a little extra money would be nice! So, would it be rude to ask for the money in this fashion?

Miss Charlotte

Re: I Need A Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:33:20 AM »
I think what you have written sounds great, although I would worry they might think you didn't understand they were asking you to work for free.  I would add something about "due to the volume of requests for help I receive, I cannot waive my fees entirely, but...." then what you wrote.
"Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop." Gittel Hudnick

MaggieB

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 04:12:53 AM »
I think what you have written sounds great, although I would worry they might think you didn't understand they were asking you to work for free.  I would add something about "due to the volume of requests for help I receive, I cannot waive my fees entirely, but...." then what you wrote.

I think this is perfect.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 08:07:18 AM »
I recently received an email specifically requesting me to donate my services. While I think the cause is worthy, I can not volunteer for every worthy cause. I do, unknown to many, adjust my rates according to various factors with each request. Being that I was specifically asked to work for free with this request, would it be rude to reply with something like this?

"I really appreciate the work that your organization does and I want to see how I may be able to assist with your benefit. I am available for $XX/hour and will gladly waiver my usual sitting fee which runs between $XXX-XXX. If this works for you, I can be reached at..."

Obviously, I am offering a HUGE discount and want to make it clear to the organization. However, I don't want to be rude by refusing to straight up donate. I will gladly send the standard "I am unable to donate at this time" if my e-Hellions tell me that the first reply is rude. But a little extra money would be nice! So, would it be rude to ask for the money in this fashion?

IF your also discounting your hourly rate amend to "As a donation, I will gladly reduce my normal rate of XX to YY and will waive my sitting fee of ZZZ"  I wouldn't include a range for sitting fees just state what you would charge for what they are asking.

applied4

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:52:12 PM »
"IF your also discounting your hourly rate amend to "As a donation, I will gladly reduce my normal rate of XX to YY and will waive my sitting fee of ZZZ"  I wouldn't include a range for sitting fees just state what you would charge for what they are asking. "

I agree with this.

alice

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 04:15:43 PM »
as someone who has worked for non profits as an accountant, it is a good idea to quote your regular price and what  you would be willing to charge them.  If they take you up on your offer, they can record the difference as an inkind donation and it maybe possible for them to use it as "matching" monies for gathering other donations from foundations etc...

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »
Thanks everyone! It's good to know that I am on the right track and I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks for your "inside knowledge", alice. I originally wanted to quote my regular prices, because this individual has no idea what she is asking by requesting that I volunteer. But I was afraid that that would come off sounding tacky. Now that I know that it may be helpful for them, I will certainly do this!

Thank you all!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 08:39:17 PM »
you know you don't have to lower your rates for them, right? It's not tacky or rude if you decide you don't want to donate to this cause. They are a bit cheeky to come right out and ask you to donate your time without even talking to you first.

DaDancingPsych

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 10:10:07 PM »
you know you don't have to lower your rates for them, right? It's not tacky or rude if you decide you don't want to donate to this cause. They are a bit cheeky to come right out and ask you to donate your time without even talking to you first.

Sure, I'm aware of this. I do appreciate the cause and it would be a project that I would enjoy. Otherwise, I woulldn't budge. Also, I get this request to donate A LOT, partly as people see the service that I provide as "fun" and something that should be given away. So, I wanted to make my normal rates known. I suppose I could have done this by NOT providing a discount and just stating them, but in those cases, I have always said "sorry, can't."