Author Topic: My Eyes! My Eyes!  (Read 4533 times)

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
My Eyes! My Eyes!
« on: August 13, 2010, 06:44:53 AM »
I made the glaring error of having most of my extended family on my facebook. I will never do this again.

Today on my newsfeed my cousin Jessi's husband had the following as a status: "There's something about making out with my topless wife in the dressing room at the Gap that makes me happy."

I now know way too much about my cousin. WAY too much.

Is there any polite way to say anything about this? Our grandparents, aunts, uncles (as in, her parents!!), cousins etc are all going to see that. I can just imagine my Aunt Leigh's reaction...she is a model of decorum and taste and somehow I don't think that she's going to be thrilled to hear that her daughter was nearly doing the hippity-dippity in a dressing room. Not to mention what Jessi's nieces are going to think when they see it.

My reply was "Now I know why the words 'family unity' give me hives...."
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:48:15 AM by Auntie Venom »
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Kasia_Kiwi

• Yarn for the Road
Re: My Eyes! My Eyes!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 08:42:07 AM »
Two words: limited profile.

If someone posts such personal comments, it's likely they would not care who sees them, no matter what their status or level of decorum. Obviously, they want to be seen.  You can edit settings to restrict what you see from certain people but that's more a help to you than the other members of your family.
It's not really your responsibility to monitor what the rest of your family sees (especially the adults), you can be embarassed for your cousins, but don't jump into the hole with them.
Read about my time in scotland: http://yarnfortheroad.wordpress.com/

ettiquit

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:09:39 AM »
WHY do people think this is appropriate information to share?  The act itself I won't comment on, but why broadcast it?  I'd hide him from your feed.

Windlass

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 10:34:12 AM »
Thanks to Facebook's new privacy settings, it's not necessary that EVERYONE sees what she says.  I have several "friends" lists set up on FB, which automatically filter out certain posts (Farmville people automatically don't see ANY of my posts, for instance).  I have another called "Shh!" for people who I really only want to share certain things with, so when I make a post that I feel might offend them for whatever reason, I simply select to exclude them.

It's possible your cousin's husband has sensitive people set aside on a list that won't see posts like this.  If YOU'RE uncomfortable with it, you can always bring it up to him that you'd maybe like to be left out of such, um, ruminations, but without being logged in to your relatives' FB accounts, you don't know for sure what they are or are not seeing.

Unless Nana is already adamantly voicing her approval, of course.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »
Does anybody really need to know that??

My goodness, that is TMI for ME and I don't even know them!
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 12:14:16 PM »
Kasia, I think that you make a good point that it's not to me to be the Facebook Sheriff. I didn't really intend to be...if Jessi doesn't mind her husband broadcasting their business then I can buy enough beandip to get through the next few weeks with Granny. I just don't want to see it.

Thanks for the privacy setting advice. I'm going to look into that.

It's not that I'm a prude...I just reserve the right to pick and choose who I have those "blue" conversations with. That and I think it's kind of nasty to tell the world about your private business.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Larrabee

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 12:19:03 PM »
I'd be tempted to comment with your thread title!

More seriously, hide from your newsfeed and try to forget if you possibly can, there's not much else you can do.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 12:41:01 PM »
WHY do people think this is appropriate information to share?  The act itself I won't comment on, but why broadcast it?  I'd hide him from your feed.

I assume that the same impulse that made them think it was appropriate to do in the first place.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 01:32:19 PM »
I'm pretty liberal, but quite frankly I found it rather odd that anyone would like to share this sort of information on FB. I mean seriously? Who needs to know about people's private activities?
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 02:11:47 PM »
I'd let his parents and grandparents school him.   ;D

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 02:47:50 PM »
Gad, if I posted something like that, I wonder what the friend who got all weird over my eating peach ice cream would have to say. My PM Inbox would probably explode!
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »
Wow. That's...um...wow. I think your response was ok. It let him know that, "hey I'm not terribly comfortable knowing that about you," without delving into "CRUD MONKEYS! EWWW grossie yuck yuck!" territory. And POD on limiting him from now on.

He can choose to continue to post about his intimate activities if he likes, but you most certainly do not have to read about it.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

CakeEater

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
I guess her family can be grateful he was making out with his wife and not someone else. ???

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 10:39:25 PM »

I'm picturing a response from a friend

"Thinking about your topless wife makes *me* happy too!"
 >:D

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 10:42:57 PM »
While that is TMI for anyone, think about this. There is apparently a fan page called "Morning Sex" - consider how I felt when I saw that my son-in-law had "liked" it.

:P