« on: August 15, 2010, 01:29:01 AM »
removed
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:51:08 AM by blank space »

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Re: attempting to call off
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:44:08 AM »
I would actually start trying to call people's cell phones.  If I still couldn't get anyone it would really depend on my relationship with my boss.  If I had a good boss who would give me the benefit of the doubt I would not go in.  If I didn't I would probably go ahead in and do the best I could even if it meant going home early.

Danismom

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:50:32 AM »
I would try to keep calling.  I would also try to find another way to call -- cell phones, text messages/email, etc -- until you can actually get in touch with someone.  I would also consider calling a friend in a different department to go by mine to ask them to call me.  It could be a problem with the phone system.  Ultimately though, if I couldn't reach them and needed to call off, I would probably ask a friend or family member to go up there and tell them in person for me.  If it isn't safe for me to drive, I shouldn't be on the roads.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 02:05:20 AM »
If you're sick, you're sick. That's pretty much the bottom line for me. If your boss or manager needs to know before opening time, s/he should provide you with a number to let her/him know.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 02:30:54 AM »
I know some stores do this (lock their employees in overnight), but  personally think that's reprehensible. There's no way I'd yake a chance to be stuck in a locked store overnight.

I assume the emergency exits still work, so the only thing that keeps a sick employee there is some misguided and misplaced sense of loyalty?  Pfft.

ClaireC79

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 04:33:13 AM »
d) mobile phones or facebook

In reality I work in a hospital so I'd go through switchboard or ring a different ward in the same department

Larrabee

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 05:50:53 AM »
E-mail to your manager or boss?  It'd be time stamped so they'd know you contacted them before your shift starts.  You could mention how many times you've tried to call.

Don't work sick, that doesn't help anybody and its not your fault if the procedures aren't in place that should be.  Why is there no voicemail for one?

Alex the Seal

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 09:25:17 AM »
Call a different store location if it's part of a chain?

That's my only other suggestion.

And as for locking staff in, I agree, I've never heard of that before  :o :o :o

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 09:35:06 AM »

Really?  It's to help with safety. I have yet to work a retail/food job where they haven't. Heck, even the one medical office I worked at locked their staff in before and after they opened. Of course, locking in has always meant the locks are locked from the inside.

Because otherwise you do get the people who wander inside and want you to open the store at 7 am just for them, and the drunks who want tacos at 4 am and get belligerant when you motion no from inside the store.

Larrabee

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:36:52 AM »

Really?  It's to help with safety. I have yet to work a retail/food job where they haven't. Heck, even the one medical office I worked at locked their staff in before and after they opened. Of course, locking in has always meant the locks are locked from the inside.

Because otherwise you do get the people who wander inside and want you to open the store at 7 am just for them, and the drunks who want tacos at 4 am and get belligerant when you motion no from inside the store.

I've locked myself in from the inside plenty of times, locked in from the outside would bother me! 

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »

I've locked myself in from the inside plenty of times, locked in from the outside would bother me! 

Asd long as there's an emergency exit I'm not so bothered.  It is an odd thing to do, though; locking from the outside. I wonder if the employee theft percentage is sky high.

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 09:58:21 AM »
you dont think you can safely drive to work, do your shift (8 hours) and drive home.

That right there means I wouldn't go in, period.  Your safety is your first consideration.