Author Topic: President's Appearance on the View  (Read 2941 times)

Pandora

President's Appearance on the View
« on: August 15, 2010, 02:29:06 PM »
 Did someone directly ask him if he had been invited to Chelsea's wedding?

If so, isn't that rude?

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
Re: President's Appearance on the View
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 02:38:51 PM »
I think certain levels of 'celebrity' operate on different social rules than the rest of us. And our elected officials pretty much know they will be living in a fishbowl.

Making a public announcement that John Q. is going in for a hernia opperation isn't done, but it's 'news' when it's happening to a senator or VP, KWIM?

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »
I think in this case it probably was political and I can't begrudge interviewers with access to the President to forego the opportunity to ask "telling" questions.

Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 11:35:27 AM »
I don't think it's anyone's business who was/was not on the guest list for Chelsea's wedding. However, I don't look for the ladies of the View as bastions of etiquette. I remember the episode when Sherri Shepherd was complaining because Jeremey Piven did not acknowledge her on the plane. Elisabeth Hasselbeck complained on air about not receiving an invitation to the White House Christmas Party. Don't get me started on Rosie or Whoopi.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:37:15 AM »
I thought it was kind of rude because it could have the potential of making Chelsea and her fam look bad if taken the wrong way (i.e. "They didn't invite him?? Why not?" etc etc).

But he did a good job of deflecting any blame!
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 11:39:21 AM »
It kind of seems like asking if someone on the View was rude is like asking if a pig has taken a mud bath lately: If the answer is anything but yes, you're surprised.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 03:06:21 PM »
I thkn that in general the ladies on the view go too far but I also think tha when one goes on a talk show they are voluntarily adopting a false veneer of friendship with the hosts and viewing audience that does not exist - and you share funny stories and a few details of your life with your friends that you might not share with strangers.  If you want potential voters to see you as a friend then you need to sell youreslf in that light and being asked/answering such questions might help.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
So, did they ask if he was invited?

If so, what did he say?

I am not sure what one says, even as a private individual when asked by other private individuals, when asked if one was invited to the wedding of a third party or not.

I am curious as to how a celebrity handles it.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »

If so, what did he say?

He said that he was not invited and neither should he have been. He said it was a family event that would have become far too complicated with TWO presidents in attendance.

(eta: this is an approximation, not a direct quote. Please feel free to correct or add to my statement!)
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

whatsanenigma

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 06:47:54 PM »

If so, what did he say?

He said that he was not invited and neither should he have been. He said it was a family event that would have become far too complicated with TWO presidents in attendance.

(eta: this is an approximation, not a direct quote. Please feel free to correct or add to my statement!)

Sounds like that was a graceful way to handle it.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »
thinking about it more, i think that in some ways asking out right could be more poltie than the speculating that people kept doing all over the place.

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »
It's a talk show. They ask personal questions on talk shows. It sort of expected. Is it rude? I don't know. I think there are different "guidelines" that we follow with celebrity talk shows and the like. Of course, there are definitely things that are obviously crossing the line, but I don't know if I think this is one of them.

Besides, I actually don't think it would be an unreasonable assumption to think that the Clinton's would invite Mr. Obama. He's the President,and Clinton was a former President, and the reality is they are both members of the same party. It isn't uncommon for members of the same political party who both hold and have held very very public offices to be friends. It's a natural assumption that the former President would invite the current one to a family event like that even if it's not true that they did invite the Obama's. If Mr. Obama responded as PeasNCues said, I think that's a really classy answer. 

On a personal level though, I don't necessarily know how I feel about the current President going on shows like that... while in office anyway. I think their time is actually better spent, well, at work.
But, if this is part of his upcoming re election campaign in two years then I guess it makes sense that he would want to stay connected to his voters that way. But still, I am torn.

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 12:24:10 PM »
It's a talk show. They ask personal questions on talk shows. It sort of expected. Is it rude? I don't know. I think there are different "guidelines" that we follow with celebrity talk shows and the like. Of course, there are definitely things that are obviously crossing the line, but I don't know if I think this is one of them.

Perhaps, but there are still questions that are and are not appropriate regardless of the interview format. Talk show or no, Jay-Z and Beyonce do not discuss their marriage.

I just don't see how the wedding guest list of Chelsea is anyone's business.

Besides, I actually don't think it would be an unreasonable assumption to think that the Clinton's would invite Mr. Obama. He's the President,and Clinton was a former President, and the reality is they are both members of the same party. It isn't uncommon for members of the same political party who both hold and have held very very public offices to be friends. It's a natural assumption that the former President would invite the current one to a family event like that even if it's not true that they did invite the Obama's. If Mr. Obama responded as PeasNCues said, I think that's a really classy answer.

This was Chelsea's wedding, not her father's. All accounts that I read said that she kept it small and intimate.

Also, from some of the things that happened during the election, it does not seem like former President Clinton and President Obama are all that close.

Lastly, can you imagine the nightmare the town would experience? You know the Secret Service would have to lock it down.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:51:24 PM by C0mputerGeek »

immadz

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 02:44:03 PM »

Perhaps, but there are still questions that are and are not appropriate regardless of the interview format. Talk show or no, Jay-Z and Beyonce do not discuss their marriage.

I just don't see how the wedding guest list of Chelsea is anyone's business.

This was Hilary's wedding, not her father's. All accounts that I read said that she kept it small and intimate.

Also, from some of the things that happened during the election, it does not seem like former President Clinton and President Obama are all that close.

Lastly, can you imagine the nightmare the town would experience? You know the Secret Service would have to lock it down.

It was actually Chelsea's wedding. But, I agree with you.

Audrey Quest

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 02:48:20 PM »
The Secret Service had to lock it down anyway.  Hillary is Secretary of State and Bill is a former Prez.

But, The View + Etiquette?  My head 'sploded!  >:D