Author Topic: President's Appearance on the View  (Read 3329 times)

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
Re: President's Appearance on the View
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 04:53:37 PM »
The Secret Service had to lock it down anyway.  Hillary is Secretary of State and Bill is a former Prez.

Do former presidents get the same level as protection as current ones? Do the Secretary of State and other positions get Secret Service? I am not being snarky. I do not remember.

This was Hilary's wedding, not her father's. All accounts that I read said that she kept it small and intimate.

It was actually Chelsea's wedding. But, I agree with you.

Booo to typos!

I fixed it.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »
The Secret Service had to lock it down anyway.  Hillary is Secretary of State and Bill is a former Prez.

Do former presidents get the same level as protection as current ones? Do the Secretary of State and other positions get Secret Service? I am not being snarky. I do not remember.

This was Hilary's wedding, not her father's. All accounts that I read said that she kept it small and intimate.

Booo to typos!

I fixed it.

I don't know about the Secretary of State, but all former presidents still have Secret Service details.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 08:45:23 PM »

Booo to typos!

I fixed it.

I don't know about the Secretary of State, but all former presidents still have Secret Service details.

It's definitely not to the extent that the current president has, though.

OT: My grandfather was a medic on a former president's personal medical team. He said that the (at that time) former president hated people "following him around" so they all had to hide when they were assigned to him. :-D My grandfather was a secret medicine man! bwahaha.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 08:58:09 PM »
If he was invited, I think it was gracious of him to refuse.

As much as I dislike the bridezilla attitude of "but this is myyyyy day", I feel that having a current president at your reception would certainly overshadow the HC. (even if your mom is SoS, and dad is a former)

Just sayin' 8)

Pandora

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »
I thought it was kind of rude because it could have the potential of making Chelsea and her fam look bad if taken the wrong way (i.e. "They didn't invite him?? Why not?" etc etc).

But he did a good job of deflecting any blame!

I thought it was rude. First. my understanding is it is impolite to discuss upcoming events with others unless you know they have also been invited. Second, it did potentially put Chelsea and her parents on the spot ... you didn't invite him? Shame, shame.

MaggieB

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 09:38:42 PM »
I am sure that Obama knew exactly what he would be asked ahead of time.  I just can't see such a high profile guest going on a show like The View and not approving the questions before hand.  My guess is that he has been asked about whether he was invited to Chelsea's wedding several times or that he was aware of some rumors that him not being invited was due to some bad blood between him and one or both of the Clintons and he wanted the opportunity to clear the air.

His reply made sense.  I am sure it was his idea to make that statement publicly.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 10:09:16 PM »
that's true.  in fact questions like where he will be when probalby have to be cleared ahead of time for security reasons.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 09:16:20 AM »

The Secretary of State is guarded by the U.S. Diplomatic Security Service. The Secretary of the Treasury gets Secret Service protection. I don't know about the others.

Former presidents up till 1997 got lifetime protection. After 1997 they get it for 10 years after their term ends. Mr. Clinton is the last president to receive lifetime protection.

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls