Author Topic: My co-workers  (Read 792 times)

Shea

My co-workers
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:02:06 PM »
As I have mentioned on previous threads, I will shortly be moving out of the country for graduate school (moving from a small town on west coast of the USA to Montreal in eastern Canada). I have been working at the same job on and off since I was sixteen. I've had my ups and downs there, i.e. my boss, who is a nice person but not such a great boss.

The night of my last shift, my co-workers had hidden notes and cookies with my name on them in various cupboards in my bar, where I'd be sure to find them. Then, my boss gave me a case of wine and told me to go stock it in the bar. When I opened it, I found among the regular bottles a wrapped bottle of (very good) wine with notes from all my co-workers and an envelope with cash in it. Boss explained that they'd wanted to get me a gift certificate to IKEA to buy furniture for my new apartment, but had been unable to get one, so they just bought a bottle of wine and gave me the money. I was so, so touched.

Aside from the generosity and thoughtfulness that would touch anyone, what they did was particularly good for me. I was badly bullied all through school and as a result have a very hard time meeting, relating to and trusting people. I always assume that, other than a few very close friends, people are just tolerating me and don't really like me. The notes they wrote and the time and effort to pull off the things they did really made me feel that maybe I can make new friends and really connect with people in my new life. That feeling is as valuable to me, perhaps more valuable, than the gifts (though those are also, of course, much appreciated ;) ).

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Re: My co-workers
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 01:16:31 PM »
Awe! That is so sweet!

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Re: My co-workers
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 02:06:25 PM »
that's such a great story. I'm so happy for you!
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou