Author Topic: Hosting a couple with kids- for the 1st time - any suggestions  (Read 1829 times)

sweedetobee

Hi,
Mr. Sweede and I recently moved to a new location and we're having our first guests with kids come and visit for a weekend. The kids are 5 and 3 I think, and they seem to be good kids.

We still aren't unpacked all the way but our friends are really laid back so I'm not too worried.

I'm looking for advice on how to be good hosts - we've never had kids visit for more than a day before.

This is what I thought of already:
1) remove all cleaning supplies from easy reach of kids
2) I already asked about food likes/dislikes and allergies (they eat it all and are not allergic)
2a) make sure we have a variety of cereals and juices just in case the kids decide they are picky after all
2b) have a BBQ saturday night cause out of hamburgers, hotdogs, veggie burgers, chicken and grilled veggies there has to be something they like
3) I was going to create little inexpesive activity bags for each kid (washable markers, coloring books, maybe a small stuffed toy, etc).
4) Pray that the weather is good so we can "play" outside - we bought a sprinkler for the yard

If you have any hosting/etiquette suggestions I'd be appreciative!

chappy

Re: Hosting a couple with kids- for the 1st time - any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 03:18:59 PM »
Note sure if any of the following is etiquette, but:

to add to 2b -- do you have a firepit or campfire thing to toast marshmellows?  A favorite activity of the neighborhood kids (3 & 5).

If you get stuck inside - building "forts" (think pillows and blankets) is worth at least an hour.  Or decorating a large box (one each if possible) with stickers, markers what have you -- it is amazing how long a large box will entertain.  If you are unpacking maybe you have a lot of boxes to play with?

juice boxes are great things inside and out - lower the risk of spillage and give reasonable serving size

whiffle ball for outside is cheap and easy -- even if beyond the 3 yo's ability just trying to hit can be fun

some parents aren't into the tv as pacifier, but a good kids dvd is a nice back-up plan.

alohomora

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 03:26:22 PM »
If you don't have any kid friendly DVDs at home, you may want to ask the parents to bring a few DVDs so the kids can watch the videos they get bored or tired of playing outside.  

Also, you may want to have a small booster step for the kids so they can reach the toilet and sink in the bathroom.  

Hope that helps and that you and your guests have a great time!  :)

Summrs

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 10:50:07 PM »
The only thing I can think of that hasn't been covered is maybe a nightlight for the hallway and bathroom, so if the kids have to get up in the middle of the night, they can find their way in a strange house.

Oh, and maybe a kid's video or two. 

jamiescudder

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 10:59:32 PM »
There's a 2 yo who spends a lot of time at my house. I have discovered that a baby gate is a wonderful investment. If the 3 yo is the type to stay out of areas that are off limits then this wouldn't be necessary. I use mine to block the kitchen and then all unsafe objects go in there.

Otherwise you seem to have everything covered. Mom and dad will probably bring some favorite toys too which will help fill in any gaps in entertainment. Relax and have fun!

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 10:23:08 AM »
I like the goodie bag idea...sometimes parents forget that there won't be anything for the kids to do.  I would also tell the parents to bring a video/DVD in case there might be time for the kids to watch TV as you don't have any kid videos.

The barbeque is a good idea, but I hope you aren't going to make all of those things just in case...I would ask the parent "What cereal do they like" instead of buying a bunch.  "Would they prefer hotdogs, hamburgers or chicken" instead of buying more food than you really want to. 

sweedetobee

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:52:20 AM »
Thank you all for your suggestions!

We do in fact have kid friendly DVDs - Mr. Sweede knows I like my childhood movies, so we have some Muppet and Disney movies. Don't make fun of me ;)

I asked and found out the kids like all BBQ foods but corn on the cob is a favorite, so we'll be sure to have that.  We usually have hamburgers, hotdogs and chicken in the house at most times, so when we go to cook I will specifically ask each kid what they want. Mr. Sweede and I will eat whatever they don't want since we like it all.

And I went to the store and bought some princess tiaras, stickers and bubbles (the safe non toxic kind) for the goodie bags. I'm also going to get that easy slice and bake cookie dough stuff and some sprinkles/candy so we can "make" our own cookies without too much mess.

The nightlight/baby gate are great ideas!

BittyB

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 01:31:18 PM »
I don't have children of my own yet, but I have a plastic step that lives in the 1st floor bathroom for when children visit. 

Don't forget to walk your house looking at what is at kid eye/hand level and if it's breakable or not meant to be handled roughly move it out of the way.  Also keep an eye on things that can be easily toppled by a child - I don't think this is as big a concern with the 3 year old, but with the 1 and 2 year olds we tend to have around it matters because they are still learning to walk well and can accidently topple something on themselves pulling themselves up.  I'm pretty sure by the time the older kids were 3 I didn't have to worry about that anymore.  I did have to move pretty breakables out of the reach of the 5 year olds though.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 10:45:47 AM »
A few things I'd toss into the mix:

Boxes of outlet covers are cheap and three year olds are still curious enough to poke fingers.  I'd get enough for the rooms they'll be in.

I'll second having a stepstool in the bathroom.  Little ones often can't reach the sink.

While you're moving cleaning supplies, remove anything from the bathroom that would break your heart if spilled.  Little ones sometimes get into shampoo and soap bottles too.  Also, remove precious breakables from the whole house since even well-behaved kids sometimes tip things over.

Set aside a can for soiled diapers/pull-ups if the youngest is still in for that, or have the collection can convenient.  You don't want them in the kitchen trash.  Trust me.  Having a box of baby wipes at hand can help too, since sometimes parents run out or forget.  You can always run out for these, though, if it becomes an emergency.

I'd personally go for crayons before washable markers, because they can't draw on furniture or themselves as readily, and "washable" isn't as washable as they promise.  Be careful of washable crayons, though, since they dissolve in hands and when they get wet.

Beside all that, it sounds like these kids are going to have a ball.  Good for you to go out of your way to make them happy.

Virg

loopey2u

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 11:47:07 PM »
You're a very good hostess.

I think you're covered with what you've already done and with the extra advice of posters here, really covered.

Hope you have a nice visit.

andi

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 05:18:57 PM »
wow! you're an awesome hostest

are they little girls or little boys?  or each?  my 2.5 year old is happy if he has a "car" to push around or a ball to kick - if you're looking for something else to put in the goody bags (which is just beyond sweet of you!!).  i am assuming that the parents will bring items to entertain the little ones

i second the stool in the bathroom - mine is potty training and needs a step up to the potty and to the sink for hand washing

sweedetobee

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 11:42:36 AM »
Well the visit is over and I think it was a success. The 2 kids are little girls and the princess crowns went over very well! However, they liked the tissue paper I used in the gift bag a lot too - I could have saved a lot of money  ;D

I am exhausted and my back hurts from too much play time, but they want to come back so that must mean they had an ok time.

They were very well behaved - they said please, thank you and excuse me every time they needed something. I thought that was impressive especially for the 3 year old.

Thank you all for all of your suggestions!

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 11:49:38 AM »
You sound like a fabulous host!
The only sufggestion I would make for next time is lay in a supply of Craola ColorMagic paper and supplies. They are markers, "fingerpaints" and watercolors that only work on the Color Magic paper. Yes, it is a little more expensive, but it is worth it. No clean up, no mess, and I am an adult, and I am still amazed at the 'fingerpaints"-they are a pad, with the color indicator printed over or. You use the pad similar as you would an ink pad, but nothing is on the fingers or anywhere else till it hits the paper.

I loooooove the colormagic!!!!