Author Topic: E-Mail With a Reply Demand (non-business)  (Read 3775 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: E-Mail With a Reply Demand (non-business)
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 03:41:31 PM »
But you can't tell your mother not to mail you the glurge (after all, she sends them because she loves you) and the warnings about the Very Important Dire Computer Virus (you know, the one that will not only give YOU a Dire and Ultimately Fatal Disease, but will also affect your other household electronics, so you should always wash your hands after using the computer so you don't infect the toaster or the electric kettle.)

I've sent Mom the snopes links many times, and asked her to check it herself before forwarding stuff.  But if Aunt Nancy has sent it to her and the message body says "Snopes says this is true!!!!!!" Mom doesn't bother to check herself.  She's 86 and not very computer savvy.  If she gets a  message from her girlfriend that says "So funny!  Click HERE!" she not only clicks there, she forwards it. ::)  And then wonders why her virus-blocker alerts her to malware, because Good Friend wouldn't send her a virus, would she?
Your mom needs NetNanny - just installed this myself to stop my mother from donwloading "anti-virus software because your computer is infected" - approved list of sites only now and amazingly the frantic phonecalls have stopped...
Thanks.  I'll pass that on to my sister, who is now in charge of All Computer Related Things, since Mom & Dad are now in Assisted Living about 15 miles from Sister's home.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »
Either ignore and delete or respond "... or what will happen?"  Or "How about I don't forward this.  My friends will love me even more for not sending them garbage."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

bonzombiekitty

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 01:44:48 PM »
But you can't tell your mother not to mail you the glurge (after all, she sends them because she loves you) and the warnings about the Very Important Dire Computer Virus (you know, the one that will not only give YOU a Dire and Ultimately Fatal Disease, but will also affect your other household electronics, so you should always wash your hands after using the computer so you don't infect the toaster or the electric kettle.)

Sure you can.  I yelled at her all the time for that.  Every time a forwarded message from her would show up in my inbox, I'd immediately call her and scold her.  After doing that consistently for a couple weeks, she finally stopped.  I have a very short fuse with my mom when it comes to computers.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 07:32:14 PM »
With all but one aunt and uncle - I simply said STOP I don't want these and it worked.

The aunt and uncle are off their rockers, drunks, and toxic. I ignore them and only contact their kids, who are real nice. 

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 08:34:33 PM »

Sure you can.  I yelled at her all the time for that.  Every time a forwarded message from her would show up in my inbox, I'd immediately call her and scold her.  After doing that consistently for a couple weeks, she finally stopped.  I have a very short fuse with my mom when it comes to computers.
I don't fuss at her about the fake virus warnings, but I DO about the blind messages that urge you to "click HERE".  I've told her multiple times, and my sister has told her, that this is how you get viruses, not by opening an email with a certain subject line.  And yes, she has virus-blocker software, but when the notification pops up that she needs to download the newest DAT files, or renew the subscription, she ignores it and just closes it.  Like I said, not really computer savvy.  We've noticed that anything to do with technology confuses her; she just can't process multi-step information anymore, even for very intuitive programs.  "Yes, Mom, we know that your new computer doesn't have a floppy drive.  You don't need it.  You have a 100-gig hard drive.  That's the equivalent of 100,000 floppies.  You save stuff to your hard drive, not a floppy..." Lather, rinse, repeat.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »
I just make sure that everything that has FW: in the subject line goes to my junk mail box

saves wear and tear on my head
Reality is for people who lack Imagination