Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Please Bring Meat?

(1/7) > >>

mbbored:
BF and I would like to host a 4th of July picnic next month.  However, we are both vegetarians and not comfortable with buying meat.  We've planned a nice menu, with a variety of veggie-friendly entrees, side dishes, desserts, and beverages.  Would it be rude to request that our guests bring their own meat if they'd like to have some?  Normally I wouldn't dream of doing this, but I know 4th of July is synonymous with hot dogs & hamburgers.  If it isn't rude, how would I word the request?

AprilRenee:
Can y ou call it a potluck?

When you send out invitations, put something about a potluck on there, when they call to RSVP, let them know what you've made, and if there is anything else that they would like, please feel free to bring some.

Would that be ok? lol

behindbj:

--- Quote from: mbbored on June 12, 2007, 04:21:45 PM ---BF and I would like to host a 4th of July picnic next month.  However, we are both vegetarians and not comfortable with buying meat.  We've planned a nice menu, with a variety of veggie-friendly entrees, side dishes, desserts, and beverages.  Would it be rude to request that our guests bring their own meat if they'd like to have some?  Normally I wouldn't dream of doing this, but I know 4th of July is synonymous with hot dogs & hamburgers.  If it isn't rude, how would I word the request?

--- End quote ---

If I were invited to a party at a vegetarian friend's house, I would expect that there would be no meat at all nor would I insist on bringing any.  Wouldn't bother me in the least.

I have been to parties where folks were told to bring meat if they wanted it and I can't say that bothered me either.

If you want to let folks know that YOU WOULDN'T MIND IF THEY BROUGHT MEAT (which is what this is - certainly people KNOW that you're vegetarians and wouldn't INSIST on bringing something you object to into your home, 4th of July or not...oh - who am I kidding.  I HOPE no one would be insistent, but...), remind folks that you are vegetarians and are providing vegetarian food, but they are welcome to bring some for of meat if they so desire.

You are not being rude to have no meat at your party, and gracious to allow it.

behindbj, who'd been to more than one vegetarian party at didn't particularly yearn for a hot dog at any point in the day

sweedetobee:
Dear Friends,
Please come to our July 4th picnic, blah, blah, blah.....
We will be providing lots of food and fun! As many of you know, we are vegetarians so if there is something special you'd like to have please feel free to bring it.
Please RSVP by X.
Can't wait to see you all!
mbbored

Or you could just say: The menu is x, y, z. If there is something special you would like to have then please feel free to bring it. Otherwise just bring yourselves and get ready for some fun!"

or something nice and cheery like that ;)

Sibby:
It's fine.  Just politely remind people it will be a vegetarian meal but they are welcome to bring their own meat (I wouldn't say vegetarian then something vague like "anything special" because I would take that to mean "anything I want that is still vegetarian", please specify meat is actually A-OK)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version